Help with 75g build...

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just as the title says I need some help:

Long story short:

I’ve only ever used AIO tanks.... I recently purchased a 75g seapora and stand that was on sale for a VERY good deal...

My original plan was to build a new cichlid tank however now I am slowly swaying myself to do a reef tank.... I know absolutely 0 about where to even start or what I would need...
so right now I have the Tank and Stand and it came with the glass lids that you can just cut the back parts off for whatever you want to attach and the LED’s that came with it (going to sell them unless there is a way to incorporate them and just add some blues somehow) but seems easier to just get new lights....

So couple of questions, I am going on the 26th to the Big Al’s huge sale so I’m hoping to pick up what I can there and also check for some online deals....

Right now I have 60lbs of Caribsea Liferock... I’ve used it a couple times now and I like it because I don’t get any hitch hikers and it’s just eco friendly and cycled just as fast as real live rock when I used bio spira before with no adverse effects....

So I’m going to grab at least another 20lbs-30lbs .... that would give me 80lbs-90lbs... is that enough? Or should I go for 40 more pounds... that would give me like 100lbs (I have about a pound per gallon of water in my other tanks but they are smaller- don’t know if that matters)

And I have my heater... I assume with this way of doing things my heater would just go in the tank like any freshwater one? And just stick it in there? (Yes it’s fully submersible)

I have some HOB’s I have an AC 110 and an AC 70.... (currently in use for my freshwater tank that will be going)

I know I will need several wavemakers powerheads ect and that kind of stuff

But from there I don’t know where to go....
My plan is to make a lower profile rock structure (probably will do a couple separate ones as I seen some nice pictures of ways people have done this... instead of making it like tall ect) I’ll look for a picture of what I am going to try to make roughly....

I don’t know if it’s better to get a canister filter? If so, I have never hooked one up to a tank that didn’t have the holes already plumbed in.... so not sure how to even do that part.....(or Use one my my HOB’s as a sump) no clue if there is a certain size sump I would need for a tank that size as the sand doesn’t really allow for a large long one

I know this is kind of a loaded question but I don’t have any idea where to start!

So if someone could help with at least that part it would be great! Lol any advise or tips or if someone could just list everything I need and how to set it up would be great lol

Basically I’m clueless so let’s start there lol!

Kaden Obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just as the title says I need some help:

Long story short:

I’ve only ever used AIO tanks.... I recently purchased a 75g seapora and stand that was on sale for a VERY good deal...

My original plan was to build a new cichlid tank however now I am slowly swaying myself to do a reef tank.... I know absolutely 0 about where to even start or what I would need...
so right now I have the Tank and Stand and it came with the glass lids that you can just cut the back parts off for whatever you want to attach and the LED’s that came with it (going to sell them unless there is a way to incorporate them and just add some blues somehow) but seems easier to just get new lights....

So couple of questions, I am going on the 26th to the Big Al’s huge sale so I’m hoping to pick up what I can there and also check for some online deals....

Right now I have 60lbs of Caribsea Liferock... I’ve used it a couple times now and I like it because I don’t get any hitch hikers and it’s just eco friendly and cycled just as fast as real live rock when I used bio spira before with no adverse effects....

So I’m going to grab at least another 20lbs-30lbs .... that would give me 80lbs-90lbs... is that enough? Or should I go for 40 more pounds... that would give me like 100lbs (I have about a pound per gallon of water in my other tanks but they are smaller- don’t know if that matters)

And I have my heater... I assume with this way of doing things my heater would just go in the tank like any freshwater one? And just stick it in there? (Yes it’s fully submersible)

I have some HOB’s I have an AC 110 and an AC 70.... (currently in use for my freshwater tank that will be going)

I know I will need several wavemakers powerheads ect and that kind of stuff

But from there I don’t know where to go....
My plan is to make a lower profile rock structure (probably will do a couple separate ones as I seen some nice pictures of ways people have done this... instead of making it like tall ect) I’ll look for a picture of what I am going to try to make roughly....

I don’t know if it’s better to get a canister filter? If so, I have never hooked one up to a tank that didn’t have the holes already plumbed in.... so not sure how to even do that part.....(or Use one my my HOB’s as a sump) no clue if there is a certain size sump I would need for a tank that size as the sand doesn’t really allow for a large long one

I know this is kind of a loaded question but I don’t have any idea where to start!

So if someone could help with at least that part it would be great! Lol any advise or tips or if someone could just list everything I need and how to set it up would be great lol

Basically I’m clueless so let’s start there lol!

A pound per gallon of rock is usually a good start. Some people like more and some people like less. It’s really up to u. Are u planning on getting a sump? Or what filtration are you going to use

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use a canister filter.

Since it seems you are going sumpless, I will share some of my experience with my sumpless 90 gallon AIO.

Now there are not a lot of absolutes in this hobby but I can share my perspective.

Getting a Hang on Back (hob) skimmer should be a priority. Without a large dedicated refugium for growing macro algae, the skimmer will be your primary nutrient export (along with water changes). I have had good success with my Reef Octopus BH-2000.

A heater is required. You can use a fresh water heater. I will say that I will never run a tank without a temperature controller. If the heater fails on, your whole tank is dead. I used a cheap inkbird temp controller off of amazon before I got my apex.

Last edited:

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice so far. I ran a 75g with an HOB overflow that is still sitting in my garage from my upgrade. What i learned is i do not understand the fear everyone has in them... That said, a sump system really makes things easier and prettier than HOB filtration. I second the skimmer. My life changed on my first setup when i went from no sump or skimmer to HOB skimmer. Made everything easier for me. Water changes will be an important part of your routine as you will not have any nutrient export. Lighting will be next. If you want pretty colors or good coral growth, lighting will be something you want to look into. The marineland, orbit, and other sit on top styles typically do not cut it. Also, ditch the glass tops. I had soooooo many problems keeping them clean and keeping light penetration. I switch to egg crate tops and it made a huge difference. So do screen tops.

Welcome and enjoy the new salt setup!

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sorry... I didn’t want to type too much lol...

1- So I’d like a sump however I’m not sure how I can fit one in this cabinet... all the ones I’ve seen are like long... this cabinet wouldn’t have a spot for anything long but has hidden shelves that are removable on both sides...I was looking at the HOB over flows... but not sure if I would be able to make any kind of useable sump (how big of one would I need?) I’ll attach a picture of the stand but remember the middle shelves can come right out...

2- sorry I didn’t want to type all kinds of stuff as my post was long already... lol yes I know I will need a skimmer...
I was also told I can empty my FW stuff out and use my AC 110 as a Fuge... apparently many people use HOB filters like this (I have no idea how) but again I have both a 110 and a 70 that will be available... and yes I already have a heater (cobalt neotherm) because I would have needed it anyway....

I don’t understand how people set up these AC’s as fuges (I’ll have to watch a you tube video or something...

Also, some spare odds and end I have are a jbj nano glow magnetic light... I should be able to use this somehow with the AC... but it’s dark so do I run one with macro (the 70 maybe) and then run the 110 with floss and stuff??

These are the parts I don’t know lol
I know I need the obvious things like skimmers and such but I’d really like to have some kind of sump... that’s why I was looking at the over flow kits... but again not sure this stand will allow for the right shape

Here is the picture: I would like it if I didn’t have to put anything in the center (equipment wise) i would like to keep it for storage or what not if possible... unless there’s a way someone can figure out how to add another door! Lol

So all those middle shelves can come out... so I could definitely set up a sump but I don’t really want to be able to see it and that middle part has no door.... just the 2 sides.... but I do really really want some kind of sump if possible.... it’s just that it’s going to be in my kitchen dining room and it’s all open concept so I don’t want to be able to see the sump across that middle section with no door....

Hope that all makes sense lol

B3E34252-DC46-4122-9C99-8C38B444C262.jpeg

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could somehow do like a 2 part sump (not sure if that’s possible) and have them connected behind the cabinet... then I could have one part on each side with a door... the wire holes are HUGE in the back of the stand so fitting pipes and such would be no issues that I can see....

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pound per gallon of rock is usually a good start. Some people like more and some people like less. It’s really up to u. Are u planning on getting a sump? Or what filtration are you going to use

Is it possible to have a deep sump instead of a longer thin one? Or like I mentioned above run 2 of them (one on each side)

Also I don’t know what to do for filtration except for my rocks lol... a lot of people use a HOB with like filter floss, purigen and chemipure (just as an example) not saying that’s what I would run....

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice so far. I ran a 75g with an HOB overflow that is still sitting in my garage from my upgrade. What i learned is i do not understand the fear everyone has in them... That said, a sump system really makes things easier and prettier than HOB filtration. I second the skimmer. My life changed on my first setup when i went from no sump or skimmer to HOB skimmer. Made everything easier for me. Water changes will be an important part of your routine as you will not have any nutrient export. Lighting will be next. If you want pretty colors or good coral growth, lighting will be something you want to look into. The marineland, orbit, and other sit on top styles typically do not cut it. Also, ditch the glass tops. I had soooooo many problems keeping them clean and keeping light penetration. I switch to egg crate tops and it made a huge difference. So do screen tops.

Water changes are never an issue here... all of our tanks (fresh or salt get weekly changes no exceptions)

I already have a 32g brute that we use for storing RO/DI water and then a 10g and a 5g pail for mixing (we usually don’t have to change more than like 5-10g’a right now with our salt stuff because we just have 2x biocube 32’s and so my plan was to start using the 32g brute for my mixing and get a 50g one for RO/DI water storage....

As for lighting that part is easy... I can handle that one... been looking at the AI prime or Kessil... and as for movement in my small tanks I have 2 aqamai KPs’s in each So was probably just going to do the upgraded KPM ones... though I could probably use the KPS ones in here too and just add a 3rd because they put out like 1050gph I think...(it’s over 1000 gph anyway lol)

So those types of things I can figure out... (lights skimmers ect)

It’s what do I do for filtration?
Is there a way to have a sump? Or 2 because I don’t know if it matters that it would be deep instead of long and thinner... also what would I buy for a sump or sumps that would fit?

If I had a sump I would just need to get a HOB skimmer... and that’s it?
My rock would be my normal filter and then what? That’s what I’m confused about mostly... how do I add like my floss and anything like that... I seen a really neat system and it looks like I could make it work (it’s a sump) but I can’t remember the name now...

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are never an issue here... all of our tanks (fresh or salt get weekly changes no exceptions)

I already have a 32g brute that we use for storing RO/DI water and then a 10g and a 5g pail for mixing (we usually don’t have to change more than like 5-10g’a right now with our salt stuff because we just have 2x biocube 32’s and so my plan was to start using the 32g brute for my mixing and get a 50g one for RO/DI water storage....

As for lighting that part is easy... I can handle that one... been looking at the AI prime or Kessil... and as for movement in my small tanks I have 2 aqamai KPs’s in each So was probably just going to do the upgraded KPM ones... though I could probably use the KPS ones in here too and just add a 3rd because they put out like 1050gph I think...(it’s over 1000 gph anyway lol)

So those types of things I can figure out... (lights skimmers ect)

It’s what do I do for filtration?
Is there a way to have a sump? Or 2 because I don’t know if it matters that it would be deep instead of long and thinner... also what would I buy for a sump or sumps that would fit?

If I had a sump I would just need to get a HOB skimmer... and that’s it?
My rock would be my normal filter and then what? That’s what I’m confused about mostly... how do I add like my floss and anything like that... I seen a really neat system and it looks like I could make it work (it’s a sump) but I can’t remember the name now...

The sump changes the whole conversation and as far as which one to get, that is like asking what brand truck to buy. Look for features that matter and go from there. If you get a sump, you no longer need to worry about HOB anything if you dont want. In the sump, you will put your heater, skimmer, return pump and anything else you want. In the tank is your living stuff and your overflow. That can be either HOB or drilled. I would never recommend a canister filter, but there are those that have them. For example, i only run a filter sock and a back mesh filter before the return. The skimmer and two heaters are in my sump. The rock acts like a filter in a way, but the sock pulls out the "floaties" and the black filter strips bubbles and "stuff" before it goes back to my pump.

I did run a HOB aquaen style filter on my hospital tank and my 29g originally. But it never pulled the way i needed it to. I ended up with a film on the top of the water and never really had the clarity i wanted, which is why i went to a HOB overflow to a sump.

My first sump was just a fish tank, but i had micro bubbles for days. I added baffles and that was used for a couple years. Eventually i bought a sump and really liked it, but now i run a sump with a refugium.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to see if i can find it, but i just saw someone with a sump that you could also go with that you would want out in the open. This thing was beautiful. They dont have to be ugly, just most of us dont care enough to have it clean

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.... how big of a sump would I need for a 75g?

I’ll try and find the link to the one I saw that they had hooked up to a tall system rather than a long shorter one... (it looked expensive haha)

The tank is glass... stupid question but you can still drill it? I also seen overflows that you didn’t need to make a hole... they just went down the back of the tank and through the back holes on the cabinet...

My other more complicated option is switching out one of my FW tanks that are plumbed already for a canister (I have 3x 64g ones)
Then they make over flows that can go right into there right?
I thought I saw something like that today... and the cabinets that they come with I could put whatever I wanted under it because there is just a long top shelf all the way across and a bottom shelf all the way across (I think the stand is like 48”’s long or better....

Last edited:

Kaden Obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.... how big of a sump would I need for a 75g?

I’ll try and find the link to the one I saw that they had hooked up to a tall system rather than a long shorter one... (it looked expensive haha)

The tank is glass... stupid question but you can still drill it? I also seen overflows that you didn’t need to make a hole... they just went down the back of the tank and through the back holes on the cabinet...

My other more complicated option is switching out one of my FW tanks that are plumbed already for a canister (I have 3x 64g ones)
Then they make over flows that can go right into there right?

That’s really up to u. Bigger is always better but just try and find something that fits your setup

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really up to u. Bigger is always better but just try and find something that fits your setup

So there wouldn’t be like a minimum....

What if I used one of those overflow boxes and made a sump on each side?

One with my say pump and skimmer ect....

And one on the other side with other things I would need like my Chaeto ect....

Would there be some way of doing that?

Like this one? (See pictures) it says good up to 100g’s... (maybe not this exact one but something similar) what if I bought 2 that were good for say 50g’s each and ran one on each side to its own sump... have half the stuff I want on one side and the rest on the other.... not sure if it can work that way or not?

706A10AC-F347-4DB6-A4C0-BB33B1E91000.png

BBEB31B4-9647-4DD6-B8D3-C69FDE50F4DF.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found some other options that may work... now when I am choosing a pump to put in my sump I am going to want to account for the following right?-

It’s around 4.5 feet tall (probably closer to 4)

and then it should have 2 x 90 degree turns? One that goes from the overflow to the sump and one that goes from the sump back up to the over flow? (Or where would it go back to... I’m just assuming the overflow would have connections for an outlet and inlet.... but those would be straight..and the only 90 degree turns would be where it connects to the sump?

that’s about 8-10ft of head pressure give it take...about 4 to 4.5 feet for the tank height and then 1-2 feet for each 90 degree turn....

and I want around 10x turn over at least right?

(but will also have wavemakers or powerheads in the tank and Fuge (not sure if they count)

I am missing any turns or adding it up wrong? Lol

T-5unsystem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust that "stand" with the shelves removed. Its like going to sag a lot and put all the stress on the glass since it won't be supported in the middle which will lead to tank failure. Those center shelves are likely going to give you the most support.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust that "stand" with the shelves removed. Its like going to sag a lot and put all the stress on the glass since it won't be supported in the middle which will lead to tank failure. Those center shelves are likely going to give you the most support.
I second this. That being said, if there is a way to run a sump do it. I am now making the switch like many others do and it will be much cheaper long term if you go this route from the beginning.

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are removable shelves lol they are meant to be put where you want them or take them out... but that was my point... the shelves all can come out but the wood going downwards can’t be moved/ removed... so the sump has to fit in any of those 3 slots...

They have 3 different positions or is says to remove them all together... they are just wood slide in things.... it’s not a particle board stand... it’s actual wood lol

So the center shelves give no support whatsoever.... like they don’t even screw in... there’s just 3 levels of “things” (not sure of the tool name lol) but you can literally just slide them in and out

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See above

See above:

That’s what the up and down board are for... they hold all the weight....

That’s why I said I can’t get a long one it has to be a tall one... or I’ll just have to spend a fortune and run 2 smaller ones from each side

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put 2 or 3 10 gallons in there if your kinda a handyman. Which I think is really good cause then you could have a designated spot just for the refugium and one for filtration. All you really need for filtration is some poly pads ,carbon & SKIMMER. You already got the rocks. I’m running a 75 with a HOB refugium/skimmer (like cpr hob). I’m trying to figure out how to get a sump under there that way it can catch all the floating debris and skims the water surface. I have a 20long set up the same way as my 75 and it’s having a lot of algae issues since I can’t have tangs in there to eat it like my other one or a sump to keep algae in in a designated area. Take it slow with everything, make sure you have everything you need before you start cause it’s a road trip not a quick ride like fresh water. People say GSP is the easiest thing to care for but my tank wouldn’t except it til it was over a year old (matured) every frag I bought died. So good luck.
f9773cc13fdac824cd9adead2130265f.jpg

ff0419c85ff2b5ca8a116be2591b9fde.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back