OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put 2 or 3 10 gallons in there if your kinda a handyman. Which I think is really good cause then you could have a designated spot just for the refugium and one for filtration. All you really need for filtration is some poly pads ,carbon & SKIMMER. You already got the rocks. I’m running a 75 with a HOB refugium/skimmer (like cpr hob). I’m trying to figure out how to get a sump under there that way it can catch all the floating debris and skims the water surface. I have a 20long set up the same way as my 75 and it’s having a lot of algae issues since I can’t have tangs in there to eat it like my other one or a sump to keep algae in in a designated area. Take it slow with everything, make sure you have everything you need before you start cause it’s a road trip not a quick ride like fresh water. People say GSP is the easiest thing to care for but my tank wouldn’t except it til it was over a year old (matured) every frag I bought died. So good luck.
f9773cc13fdac824cd9adead2130265f.jpg

ff0419c85ff2b5ca8a116be2591b9fde.jpg

You should check out some of these “nano” ones... they are great... (and no by nano it just means small) not meant for nano tanks.....

There’s ones I’m finding that have the filter sock, refufium space, skimmer space, some even have built in racks for dosing and such... ATO’s everything you’d have in a normal sump but build in a mini version that has a ton of space for everything you need... you can even remove the dividers on some so you could have a bigger Fuge and run a HOB skimmer.... I never knew they existed... some have the proper Fuge lights build right in and all....
pretty neat... and then they even have the same nano versions of the overflow... small little things but you can get them up to like 350g tanks.... all different brand names and all....

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put 2 or 3 10 gallons in there if your kinda a handyman. Which I think is really good cause then you could have a designated spot just for the refugium and one for filtration. All you really need for filtration is some poly pads ,carbon & SKIMMER. You already got the rocks. I’m running a 75 with a HOB refugium/skimmer (like cpr hob). I’m trying to figure out how to get a sump under there that way it can catch all the floating debris and skims the water surface. I have a 20long set up the same way as my 75 and it’s having a lot of algae issues since I can’t have tangs in there to eat it like my other one or a sump to keep algae in in a designated area. Take it slow with everything, make sure you have everything you need before you start cause it’s a road trip not a quick ride like fresh water. People say GSP is the easiest thing to care for but my tank wouldn’t except it til it was over a year old (matured) every frag I bought died. So good luck.
f9773cc13fdac824cd9adead2130265f.jpg

ff0419c85ff2b5ca8a116be2591b9fde.jpg
Oh this is not my first saltwater tank.... I have 2 others... the only problem is all my other SW tanks are AIO’s so that’s why this part is all new to me...

All I need is someone to say:
This is what sump you need,
This is what pump you need,
This is what overflow box you need
And this is how to set it up....

I’m wondering about running 2 overflow boxes... keep them each about half the size I need....
Then run 2 sumps on each side... again using pumps about half of what I need....

Then I could use one sump for say my filter sock and skimmer

And the other sump could be just set up as a Fuge....

The other problem I’m having is knowing what “extra” parts I need for all of them so I don’t end up with my DT overflowing or my sump running dry....

I have to remeasure (I did it in the dark lol) but I have found quite a few “cube” sumps that I would only have to use one overflow and one sump but they all seem to measure like 1” too long... but I could have just measured wrong... because some of these seem pretty simple.... like I said they are already separated for each thing...
and I have found some good job overflows... it looks like one of the better ones I’m seeing is the CS ones... they make them with pumps in them to prevent the siphon problems and such...

But is it as easy as just running the pipe or tube straight down from the overflow box and into the sump and then run the tube or pipe from the pump back up to the overflow box?

I don’t want or need anything crazy and complex... I don’t plan on setting up dosing and all that crazy stuff... from the MANY articles I’ve read everyone now a days is going back to simplicity...

For example I don’t run skimmers on either of my tanks I control all my nutrients through weekly water changes and I’m sitting at 0 nitrAtes and .02 phosphates... and I just do water changes, floss, purigen, and chemipure... that’s it... no fancy dosing or adding of this or that... and it seems to be the way that everyone is heading back to.... sometimes all that dosing and crap can make things worse....

Now this tank is bigger so I would like to run a Fuge and a good skimmer but I think with those things working successfully then there’s no need for all the dosing ect... just good watee changes and I plan on keeping a deep sandbed in this tank... 3.5-4” so that should help with my filtration as well...

But ya I just need someone who has a very simple set up that works and tell me what they have and are using lol!

Kaden Obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this is not my first saltwater tank.... I have 2 others... the only problem is all my other SW tanks are AIO’s so that’s why this part is all new to me...

All I need is someone to say:
This is what sump you need,
This is what pump you need,
This is what overflow box you need
And this is how to set it up....

I’m wondering about running 2 overflow boxes... keep them each about half the size I need....
Then run 2 sumps on each side... again using pumps about half of what I need....

Then I could use one sump for say my filter sock and skimmer

And the other sump could be just set up as a Fuge....

The other problem I’m having is knowing what “extra” parts I need for all of them so I don’t end up with my DT overflowing or my sump running dry....

I have to remeasure (I did it in the dark lol) but I have found quite a few “cube” sumps that I would only have to use one overflow and one sump but they all seem to measure like 1” too long... but I could have just measured wrong... because some of these seem pretty simple.... like I said they are already separated for each thing...
and I have found some good job overflows... it looks like one of the better ones I’m seeing is the CS ones... they make them with pumps in them to prevent the siphon problems and such...

But is it as easy as just running the pipe or tube straight down from the overflow box and into the sump and then run the tube or pipe from the pump back up to the overflow box?

I don’t want or need anything crazy and complex... I don’t plan on setting up dosing and all that crazy stuff... from the MANY articles I’ve read everyone now a days is going back to simplicity...

For example I don’t run skimmers on either of my tanks I control all my nutrients through weekly water changes and I’m sitting at 0 nitrAtes and .02 phosphates... and I just do water changes, floss, purigen, and chemipure... that’s it... no fancy dosing or adding of this or that... and it seems to be the way that everyone is heading back to.... sometimes all that dosing and crap can make things worse....

Now this tank is bigger so I would like to run a Fuge and a good skimmer but I think with those things working successfully then there’s no need for all the dosing ect... just good watee changes and I plan on keeping a deep sandbed in this tank... 3.5-4” so that should help with my filtration as well...

But ya I just need someone who has a very simple set up that works and tell me what they have and are using lol!

It’s not really that easy. We don’t know your price ranges needs and ect

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My needs are a working reef system that won’t have problems and as for prices.... I want not the best of the best.... but the best lol.... no I’m jk I know it’s not that easy but my problem is I still don’t really get how it’s gonna work....

I want simplicity.... and I think I would be able to easily do this if my stand wasn’t so oddly shaped (of course it’s the ONLY one in the house out of 4 other Large tanks lol)

Like I have found 100 sump boxes that are great... but I’m having a hard time understanding some of their dimensions.... like I don’t know which measurement is which.... they have cube shaped ones that appear they should fit and they have spots for everything I would need.... a filter sock, afuge and a skimmer.... but I don’t which dimension is which because some companies call the length like front to back and others refer to length as side to side.....

I have no idea if it’s tempered glass or not or how to tell (even after I googled it lol)

I know I will want a turn over of around say 5-10x my tank volume (and I am assuming that’s actual water volume after the rock and such is in) but that powerheads can help with that number....
I know if I get a an overflow box that’s rated for 800gph that I need to buy a pump that’s rated less than the overflow (so any pump rated less than 800gph (or an adjustable one that I can turn down)

But some people have mentioned having 2.... that part I don’t get.... but it would “seem” to be the easiest....
It may help that I am going back to the place where I got the stand (has a bad bracket on one of the doors) so they will have a set up that I can actually see if it will fit in the cupboard or at least get a better idea of what sizes will fit... because it’s kind of an awkward spot to measure when your not handy (the side to side part) because I can’t really get the tape measure in there properly lol

Is there a way that I can set it up without a Fuge or sump.... go ahead and cycle it and add those later? Like I know some skimmers you can hob or also put in a sump.... that would give me the option I think to go ahead and start maybe...

Or if someone that has mentioned using 2 show me how I would do that? The problem is I am a visual learner so I would like if someone could draw me a basic picture of how it gets hooked up... that’s what I am having problems with...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back