jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just treated with focus + kanaplex + metroplex for 14 days then 14 days of copper and now 14 days of observation. During this period, I have been doing frequent water changes bringing copper down to 0.33ppm. I am preparing for 2 melanurus wrasses and I’m wondering how I can get copper to a safe level & would putting a bag of carbon in the filter help?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Copper Power? Wrasses can go into 1.0 ppm into that, for example. You must be using a Hanna Cu checker, right?

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Copper Power? Wrasses can go into 1.0 ppm into that, for example. You must be using a Hanna Cu checker, right?
Using Copper Power and testing with Hanna. I will be using a bowl of sand in the QT because I know that melanurus likes to sand dive. Is this acceptable or will it interfere with the copper treatment? I don’t plan on proactively treating with copper, I want to FW dip for flukes before QT and then focus + metroplex + kanaplex for 14 days.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. 0.33 Copper Power is safe for the wrasse. Carbon would remove it, but it would mess with your other meds. The sand can absorb some when treating if it's aragonite, but you can test with your Checker and make adjustments.

Sounds to me like you've got it all figured out. Good luck.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. 0.33 Copper Power is safe for the wrasse. Carbon would remove it, but it would mess with your other meds. The sand can absorb some when treating if it's aragonite, but you can test with your Checker and make adjustments.

Sounds to me like you've got it all figured out. Good luck.
Perfect! Just wanted a little confirmation to make sure I’m doing this right. It’s going quite well, thank you for the help!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just treated with focus + kanaplex + metroplex for 14 days then 14 days of copper and now 14 days of observation. During this period, I have been doing frequent water changes bringing copper down to 0.33ppm. I am preparing for 2 melanurus wrasses and I’m wondering how I can get copper to a safe level & would putting a bag of carbon in the filter help?

The fish shouldn’t be observed in the same tank you are lowering copper in. Maybe I misunderstood this and they are in a new tank?

Sand is ok!

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish shouldn’t be observed in the same tank you are lowering copper in. Maybe I misunderstood this and they are in a new tank?

Sand is ok!
sorry lol, I meant: 14 day kana, focus and metro, 14 day copper, 7 day lowering copper, then 14 day observation. In the 7 days, I’ve been doing 50% WC almost every other day. I like to treat proactively so I tend to observe after the treatments to ensure their health.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry lol, I meant: 14 day kana, focus and metro, 14 day copper, 7 day lowering copper, then 14 day observation. In the 7 days, I’ve been doing 50% WC almost every other day. I like to treat proactively so I tend to observe after the treatments to ensure their health.
Yes but copper is 30 days treatment unless you transfer them to a brand new tank. This is because copper doesn't kill cysts and cysts can last longer then 14 days. So if you lower the copper before 30 days... the fish can get re-infected. The way around this is to put them in in a a brand new set up/tank that will have no cysts.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but copper is 30 days treatment unless you transfer them to a brand new tank. This is because copper doesn't kill cysts and cysts can last longer then 14 days.
I was told by @Jay Hemdal that 14 days of copper was suitable. It’s a goby coming from an outbreak of marine velvet but the goby never showed signs of velvet. :D

Back