Help with Salt

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I'm running low on salt and have been using regular instant ocean. I wanted to try the reef crystals because it is marketed toward corals and it is cheaper on Amazon at the moment. Would it be okay to switch salts? Tank is about 2 months.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regular Instant Ocean is fine for corals. Alkalinity is pretty high compared to other salt mixes, 10 dKh or more. Many SPS tanks have used it over the years. Jason Fox uses it exclusively for growing his corals.

Both Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean are cheaper than Amazon at Bulk Reef Supply.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just change it gradually with you water changes and you will be fine

100% agree with doing it gradually. 3 years ago my old tank used Reef Crystals and went to neoMarine. It was an unpleasant change over were I definitely did way to much of a change to fast and lost some corals. If I was doing it again today I'd probably change a liter a day rather then a 10% water change (35 liters in that tank).

All that said perhaps someone more knowledgeable then I can comment. But I always thought RC was just IO was improved elements: cal, mag, all. If that's true I don't think it would be difficult to switch quicker then if it was a totally different salt mix.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has an average lower price but AZ and Petco run specials way below.
You'll be fine, just keep water changes below 20%.

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Chewy was brought up in the search I thought I'd leave this here. Recently picked up some IO from them since it was at 35 bucks a bucket. I got 2 buckets. I noticed I was low on krill (my triggers love it) I wanted to pick up a tub and they had a decent price, although I'm not a fan of the size of the krill but that's who's brand you buy. Ended up rejiggering my auto ship to get them both on the same order. They have a DC in the next state to me so I usually get my orders from them the next day. So changing my auto ship by removing the cat and dog food and adding some Ralley and Krill. Got it next day as expected but failed to change my email over to the new one, so when the prep email was sent and the shipping email was sent I didn't get it because I failed to change my email. So I got another box and thought the wife got more dog food. Box was too light to I opened it and found another tub of krill and large bottle of Rally. Messaged them for a return with what happened and in a few hours got a reply I wasn't expecting. They understood my screwup and said rather than return it I could give it to someone in need. I don't think they saw what I ordered and may have thought I got dog or cat food that I could give to a shelter. So Im getting with a local club and donating. I know the free shipping back for a lower dollar sale may also have something to do with it but their communication style is extremely pro customer. Thoughtful, extremely friendly and even inquisitive as to the name of my pets in something of a conversation starter. Definitely not your average retailer who's usually too busy to do more than send out an RMA number. Very friendly service, very generous refund policy and thoughtful folks. Yes it may be their business model, but they do it well. Just thought I'd throw that out there as one more place to check for stuff for our hobby, obviously they don't stock like BRS but they have a few things I can use and if I keep using IO salt they usually have the best price when I check for it, free shipping and I get it next day.

Cheers

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back