OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I also have a NYOS Phosphate test kit to compare against the Hanna H1773 and the H1774. Today readings results. H1717 read 0.00 H1774 read 0.08 NYOS read 0.02 Which one is accurate?
for now I would take an average of the 3 as reading. .02 and .08 are not that off i think that is a good range.. lets see what happens when you get the calibration fluid....

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I just got my triton back for the 360 new build and guess what there is no IRON. weird so this must have been a faulty ICP Triton test. This goes to show that you can't always trust test results and need to test with multi kits..

here is the results kinda frustrating since i went crazy cleaning all the magnets and it seems to have given me a false scare.. but it was good to check them all anyway..

So I think what killed those frags was high po4 at .41... so never have your po4 go above .30 or it could result in death.

Also now on this test you will see it looks like high Manganese and Iron which is weird because i have not added any of these elements in since last test.. maybe this is faulty again from ICP.

the new Colonies I put into the tank are doing great and it's been a few weeks- I tested the po4 today and its .16.. so all is well :)

THis is going to be a really fun week because we have @MichaelVargasPhotography coming for 3 days to shoot pictures :) I can't wait to update you guys on the crazy shots he takes :)

1614696084761.png

1614696107529.png

1614696145509.png

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great seeing the triton test :)

How do you know this is not the faulty one and the previous one was ? Just because it doesn’t show chromium :D and matches your expectation ?

Rapid change in PO4 might be an issue of killing acros but I think you and me both know that having high PO4 consistently won’t kill the acros :) - key word being consistently .

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Great seeing the triton test :)

How do you know this is not the faulty one and the previous one was ? Just because it doesn’t show chromium :D and matches your expectation ?

Rapid change in PO4 might be an issue of killing acros but I think you and me both know that having high PO4 consistently won’t kill the acros :) - key word being consistently .
I have put a lot of tenuis into the system since the false chromium reading.. and all are doing well.. I also checked all magnets and saw nothing of chromium.. so i have to assume there is no chromium anymore.. I do think po4 over .35ish from my experience can be deadly... even after a slow constant uptick... this is specifically true for tenuis IMO

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put a lot of tenuis into the system since the false chromium reading.. and all are doing well.. I also checked all magnets and saw nothing of chromium.. so i have to assume there is no chromium anymore.. I do think po4 over .35ish from my experience can be deadly... even after a slow constant uptick... this is specifically true for tenuis IMO
What’s your Hanna po4 reading on your main system?

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things are looking good Shane!! It’s good that you had the small scare early instead of it rising when you had a lot more in there. How often do you add corals to the tank? What is the max number of frags like single branch 1 inch sticks you would add to a system where you wouldn’t worry about too much of a swing in levels? In a small tank if I remove or add a few sticks I will see a swing and have to plan accordingly to not have my alk jump or bottom out.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello sorry for the confusion and the testing is always a work in progress. This thread has morphed and now covering 2 system that we have. We have a 540 Gallon system which is the main system that has been running for over 3 years. This is the established system that we keep all our prized corals. This system i find the po4 optimal level is .08-.35PPM. i know this is a large range. we are using the hanna h1774 checker. typically my Target range has been .05-.08 but recently the po4 has gotten up to .40 and the corals seem unaffected. So now we say the range we like to see is .08-.35.. this is on the hanna checker h1774.

the second system is the new build 360 system. The po4 started at .90 and then we took it down to .30. once the po4 went under .40 the system started to consume a lot of alk. so for sure i know the corals like po4 under .40 and above .08. anything under .08 and my corals start to get the dry look.

I hope this was not too confusing the summary is that tenuis like po4 between .08 and .40 with the optimal level being between .20 and .30. at these optimal levels we see the most PE and most Alk consumption. I hope this helps!

@SBB Corals - even earlier you yourself suggested that you didn’t see any ill effects from your Tenuis being in 0.40 PO4 :)
Again if the system has been slowly creeping up in PO4 and the change is gradual over time, acros won’t mind . It’s the rapid change that cause them to crap out .
Am not trying to bash you or anything as you obviously know more than I do as you sell so many beautiful acros . Am just a mere hobbyist trying to understand the crash . As your experience , I have mine and my system runs consistently high PO4 of around 0.5-0.6 without acro frags dying but it’s consistently high .

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
What’s your Hanna po4 reading on your main system?
Currently the main system is between .15 and .18 and we are testing it everyday to make sure it does not go above .20... we are watching it like a hawk!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Glad things are looking good Shane!! It’s good that you had the small scare early instead of it rising when you had a lot more in there. How often do you add corals to the tank? What is the max number of frags like single branch 1 inch sticks you would add to a system where you wouldn’t worry about too much of a swing in levels? In a small tank if I remove or add a few sticks I will see a swing and have to plan accordingly to not have my alk jump or bottom out.
Hello John,

We add Corals to the tank a lot since we are always collecting new stuff. this Main system is 540 Gallons and we have added 40 Colonies with 25 branches before and the alk and stuff did not change drastically... so only a few frags should not change it at all. If you mean a small tank like a 40 gallon then you should watch it more closely. We watch it very closely on our neptune triton and will adjust our dosers if necessary..

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
@SBB Corals - even earlier you yourself suggested that you didn’t see any ill effects from your Tenuis being in 0.40 PO4 :)
Again if the system has been slowly creeping up in PO4 and the change is gradual over time, acros won’t mind . It’s the rapid change that cause them to crap out .
Am not trying to bash you or anything as you obviously know more than I do as you sell so many beautiful acros . Am just a mere hobbyist trying to understand the crash . As your experience , I have mine and my system runs consistently high PO4 of around 0.5-0.6 without acro frags dying but it’s consistently high .
Yes we did say that the po4 at .4 -we did not see any ill effects.. but i must say since then we have brought the po4 down to .15-.20 range and we see much much better PE. So I am now going to say that anything over .30 po4 and i think it will negatively affect the coral in some way and stress it out ( as you can see we are constinatly adjusting and learning as we go). also when the po4 was .40 we did notice some things RTN.. so i think it was from the higher po4.. this is just IMO and I am not an expert and also a hobbiest that is learning everyday :) I know you are not trying to bash me and i do appreciate your comments and welcome more in the future :) I honestly think if you bring your po4 down to under .20 you will see a noticeable difference in your tenuis PE.

as Far as the crash in the 360 system with the chromium stuff i do think the crash was from the high po4. the po4 went from .15ish where it took it down with GFO and then went straight up to over .40 within 1 week. i think this drastic change really stressed the corals... when we talk about slow change we are talking about over months and not over 1 week.. i hope this helps and i welcome any other feedback you have. thanks again and have a great day!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Today is going to be an awesome day! we have @MichaelVargasPhotography Flying in for a few days to take shots of corals :)

our main 540 Gallon system is doing awesome and we are really excited to see what shots Michael comes up with.

We have been holding back showing some new fire waiting for him to take pics.. we have some crazy new releases ready to share :)

Here is a shot of the 540 gallon system Tenuis Jungle. lets see what gems he can find :) also see below some shots Michael took last time he was here.. We will post shots during the weekend of some stuff he takes.. stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the Current Tenuis Jungle!!!
156985924_436726877581683_5712407642034722966_n.jpg

Here is some sample shots of pics from last photo Session with Michael.

03pi18po.jpeg 7JGyVMfI.jpeg 125wMuJo.jpeg ABQYwvec.jpeg KwKefeJo.jpeg nrSAavKY.jpeg R6tNjgqo.jpeg rEi-wGGY.jpeg S7fT6r6w.jpeg T2iVuLHY.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is going to be an awesome day! we have @MichaelVargasPhotography Flying in for a few days to take shots of corals :)

our main 540 Gallon system is doing awesome and we are really excited to see what shots Michael comes up with.

We have been holding back showing some new fire waiting for him to take pics.. we have some crazy new releases ready to share :)

Here is a shot of the 540 gallon system Tenuis Jungle. lets see what gems he can find :) also see below some shots Michael took last time he was here.. We will post shots during the weekend of some stuff he takes.. stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03pi18po.jpeg 7JGyVMfI.jpeg 125wMuJo.jpeg ABQYwvec.jpeg KwKefeJo.jpeg nrSAavKY.jpeg R6tNjgqo.jpeg rEi-wGGY.jpeg S7fT6r6w.jpeg T2iVuLHY.jpeg
Totally awesome man cant wait to see the photos:D

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every shot he gets from those tanks is FIRE!!!!! Have fun!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back