fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I have an update on the New system and the new frags i put in.. sadly to say they are all dead.. man!!!! what a blow.. I didn't know what was wrong so tested my po4 and saw that it went up to .45 which should not kill coral.. so i hooked up the GFO again and it came back down to .19 that was an easy fix.... So i sent in a Triton ICP and the only thing that was off was chromium was at 6.5... i have no idea where that chromium came from..maybe it was from the GFO but hard to tell.. i will Strip down the tank tomorrow and try and find some leaking magnet or stray screw or metal in the tank... maybe the increase in the po4 and the high chromium killed the tenuis...

stay tuned i will post a video tomorrow of the now coral ghost town bone yard of an aquascape and the triton results of this 360 gallon tank.. i guess its back to the drawing board.. once i get the chromium down I will add some new tenuis frags :) uhhh and the frags where doing great!!!!!
Did you use your Hanna Checker UL H 1774 to test for po4? Your home test kit po4 resulted in reading was .45. I notice your Triton ICP for po4 tested 0.09792. (way different ) I read somewhere in your thread that ICP test on po4 is worthless. Any comments on those opinions?

I just order a H1774 -11 calibration check set to confirm my Hanna Checker Phosphate H1774 UL is working correctly (not arrive yet) hopefully this gives me more confidence in my po4 reading results.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use your Hanna Checker UL H 1774 to test for po4? Your home test kit po4 resulted in reading was .45. I notice your Triton ICP for po4 tested 0.09792. (way different ) I read somewhere in your thread that ICP test on po4 is worthless. Any comments on those opinions?

I just order a H1774 -11 calibration check set to confirm my Hanna Checker Phosphate H1774 UL is working correctly (not arrive yet) hopefully this gives me more confidence in my po4 reading results.
From my understanding is the ULR is only accurate up to .2-.25 from there I would use the non ULR but I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere here but could be wrong.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear the loss Shane . Any kind of metal absorbing material like metasorb , detox or Panta rhei Panta lith would remove it .

Curious but when was the last chromium test done ? Also what kind of GFO do you use ? I don’t think there’s any evidence of GFO containing chromium .

As to test of PO4 through triton , it’s absolutely useless . It always and always come way lower than it actually is . So I would never depend on it

fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding is the ULR is only accurate up to .2-.25 from there I would use the non ULR but I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere here but could be wrong.
I have more information on testing po4 from Ehisan@Triton (2/21/20) ICP-OES machine can measure Phosphorus (P) with out any interference and the value can be used to calculate the total phosphates (organic and reactive) Total po4 is is different to what is measured by a home test kit as home tests only measure the reactive po4 that is in the water sample. In most cases the po4 readings should be similar but in some instances where organic po4 is present, the ICP-EOS machine phosphate reading will be higher. This being said there is a very good reason why you should test po4 with an ICP-OES machine as it is important to know if organic po4 is present so that the source or export mechanism can be addressed.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

Awsome! I did use the UL H 1774 and I also have the h1713 to test against it .. I don't trust the ICP test because for me it always is coming in low so I rely on the Hanna checkers- I am going to send in another triton ICP soon. I am due on an ICP test for the main system and also now that i got the po4 back down, it is now at .06 in the 360 new system, i am going to send a triton in for that.. i want to see how the results are and i will post the results in future postings.

If you really want to be crazy about po4 , which I am, I would also order the H1713 so you can cross test the 2..

I'm curious please post the results of your test

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

I just checked Hanna website and checked for the ULR Hanna H1774

here is a scree shot of the specs. It says it goes from .00-.90PPM

1614102269991.png

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
So sorry to hear the loss Shane . Any kind of metal absorbing material like metasorb , detox or Panta rhei Panta lith would remove it .

Curious but when was the last chromium test done ? Also what kind of GFO do you use ? I don’t think there’s any evidence of GFO containing chromium .

As to test of PO4 through triton , it’s absolutely useless . It always and always come way lower than it actually is . So I would never depend on it
Hello,

THe last test before this test was done 10.15.2020 and the tank was running for a year at that point. There was no Chromium reported in that ICP test

I used the BRS high Capacity GFO .. i was wondering if GFO releases chromium but I did some research on this but came up clean.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

THe last test before this test was done 10.15.2020 and the tank was running for a year at that point. There was no Chromium reported in that ICP test

I used the BRS high Capacity GFO .. i was wondering if GFO releases chromium but I did some research on this but came up clean.
So something in the last 5 months :hmmm

Apart from the obvious checks of pumps and equipments to search for the metal piece that might have fallen in tank or sump - any new equipments added or if the RODI system is separate for this tank than your other main tank ? ATI would test your RODI water but yah TSA pointless if it’s the same RODI system and container shared along all the tanks

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Update for everyone

So I striped the whole tank down, took out all the live rock from the display and both sumps, checked every magnet 3 times LOL and I found nothing rusting and no nails or any clips in the tank!!!!! Weird!!!! maybe it is a faulty ICP test.. well since then I did a few things..

Did 27% water change 2 days in a row. So total 54 % in 48 hours.

Did another water change on day 3 at 15%.

Honestly don't think I have Chromium because I couldn't find anything... ( Unless the rocks or the Marine Pure Blocks are leaching chromium)

So the Hypothesis is - I think the frags died because the po4 went from .19 up to .49 and the corals cannot take the po4 so high.. Since the po4 went up I used GFO and now the po4 is down to .06.. which is a good spot.... Last night I put some little tenuis Colonies back into the new 360 Gallon system and they are doing amazing!!! its only been 24 hours but they have FULL PE.. the po4 being down now to .06 and all those massive water changes must make them happy:)

see Update video below of the new Tenuis in the system.

Also to wrap it up I just sent in a new Triton ICP today for the new 360 Gallon system. Lets see if there is chromium still showing and lets see what the po4 reading comes in at!!!!!

This time the Moment the PO4 rises in the 360 I will hook up the GFO again.. i will not let it go above .15.. I will test it Daily so if the chromium comes back then at least we can rule out the po4 issue!!!!!

Thank all for reading this and I hope it helps your tenuis keeping!!!!

see video below of all the rocks taken out of the sump!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
So something in the last 5 months :hmmm

Apart from the obvious checks of pumps and equipments to search for the metal piece that might have fallen in tank or sump - any new equipments added or if the RODI system is separate for this tank than your other main tank ? ATI would test your RODI water but yah TSA pointless if it’s the same RODI system and container shared along all the tanks
Nothing new and the RODI system i also use for the main system so i don't think that is it.. I really think it was a faulty ICP test.. I should be getting the results back any day now from the one i send in on monday and the new colonies i put into the new 360 system now look great, so even if there is chromium it does not seem to be hurting the corals.

fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome! I did use the UL H 1774 and I also have the h1713 to test against it .. I don't trust the ICP test because for me it always is coming in low so I rely on the Hanna checkers- I am going to send in another triton ICP soon. I am due on an ICP test for the main system and also now that i got the po4 back down, it is now at .06 in the 360 new system, i am going to send a triton in for that.. i want to see how the results are and i will post the results in future postings.

If you really want to be crazy about po4 , which I am, I would also order the H1713 so you can cross test the 2..

I also have the Hanna checker H1773. Today I checked as you suggested the H1773 against the H1774. The H1773 read 0.00 and the 1774 read .08. This is the reason I order the Hanna H1774-11 calibration check set. IMO inaccurate wrong PO4 readings can kill lots of SPS corals, especially acropora.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I also have the Hanna checker H1773. Today I checked as you suggested the H1773 against the H1774. The H1773 read 0.00 and the 1774 read .08. This is the reason I order the Hanna H1774-11 calibration check set. IMO inaccurate wrong PO4 readings can kill lots of SPS corals, especially acropora.
How did the Calibration Fluid work did you re test?

fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have a NYOS Phosphate test kit to compare against the Hanna H1773 and the H1774. Today readings results. H1717 read 0.00 H1774 read 0.08 NYOS read 0.02 Which one is accurate?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back