OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I am confuse. Earlier in the thread you like your po4 at .04 to .08. Now you said your po4 is now .30 which is a great spot. I am reading you wrong? Just trying do my best to follow and understand your recommendation po4 levels.

Hello sorry for the confusion and the testing is always a work in progress. This thread has morphed and now covering 2 system that we have. We have a 540 Gallon system which is the main system that has been running for over 3 years. This is the established system that we keep all our prized corals. This system i find the po4 optimal level is .08-.35PPM. i know this is a large range. we are using the hanna h1774 checker. typically my Target range has been .05-.08 but recently the po4 has gotten up to .40 and the corals seem unaffected. So now we say the range we like to see is .08-.35.. this is on the hanna checker h1774.

the second system is the new build 360 system. The po4 started at .90 and then we took it down to .30. once the po4 went under .40 the system started to consume a lot of alk. so for sure i know the corals like po4 under .40 and above .08. anything under .08 and my corals start to get the dry look.

I hope this was not too confusing the summary is that tenuis like po4 between .08 and .40 with the optimal level being between .20 and .30. at these optimal levels we see the most PE and most Alk consumption. I hope this helps!

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you run in the sump ie skimmer doser?
Do you quarantine everything before it goes in the DT

fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello sorry for the confusion and the testing is always a work in progress. This thread has morphed and now covering 2 system that we have. We have a 540 Gallon system which is the main system that has been running for over 3 years. This is the established system that we keep all our prized corals. This system i find the po4 optimal level is .08-.35PPM. i know this is a large range. we are using the hanna h1774 checker. typically my Target range has been .05-.08 but recently the po4 has gotten up to .40 and the corals seem unaffected. So now we say the range we like to see is .08-.35.. this is on the hanna checker h1774.

the second system is the new build 360 system. The po4 started at .90 and then we took it down to .30. once the po4 went under .40 the system started to consume a lot of alk. so for sure i know the corals like po4 under .40 and above .08. anything under .08 and my corals start to get the dry look.

I hope this was not too confusing the summary is that tenuis like po4 between .08 and .40 with the optimal level being between .20 and .30. at these optimal levels we see the most PE and most Alk consumption. I hope this helps!
Hi Shane,
Thanks for clearing up my po4 confusion on your recommended level on po4. May I ask you what product would you use to raise a po4 reading with hanna h1774 at .02 to your recommend level .08 to .35.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
What do you run in the sump ie skimmer doser?
Do you quarantine everything before it goes in the DT

hello,

yes we do quarantine everything. we have a seperate tank setup for that. we do multiple interceptor dips, potassium chloride dips and chemiclean before it goes into the main system. In the sump we run a skimmer and as much live rock as we can fit... doser yes as well

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi Shane,
Thanks for clearing up my po4 confusion on your recommended level on po4. May I ask you what product would you use to raise a po4 reading with hanna h1774 at .02 to your recommend level .08 to .35.
we recommend using neophose brightwell. it is very easy and gentile to use.

Tomplatz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shane,
Have you experienced anything that would resemble phosphate shock with new corals going into your systems.
I think its reasonable to assume that most new coral that you introduce to your systems have never experienced phosphate at the levels you run at so just wondered if you have seen stress due to the swing in phosphate levels.
Thanks

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @SBB Corals Shane,

I know I have seen it on one of these pages but cant find it what's your light schedule like AB+ all day or blues/white any T5?

Thanks!

EDIT: NM Finally found it on Page4

Last edited:

dmantz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shane - Thank you for sharing your system setup. My po4 is .12 and no3 was 1. PE was very minimal. I upped my n03 to 5 and what a difference. I'm trying to get n03 to 10.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi Shane,
Have you experienced anything that would resemble phosphate shock with new corals going into your systems.
I think its reasonable to assume that most new coral that you introduce to your systems have never experienced phosphate at the levels you run at so just wondered if you have seen stress due to the swing in phosphate levels.
Thanks

Hello I have never experienced phosphate shock at least i dont think i have.. I am not sure what the po4 is in indo waters but i believe the water is dirty not as clean as we think.. so i don't think they get shocked as much as we think. I actually think they might get shocked if the water is too clean and the po4 is too low..just IMO

Jtimbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an accident that left me a nub of my favorite acro. I've noticed you sale some and could use your advice.. So far just glued it to a plug, is there anything else I should do. Like low flow, lower light, some kind of dip or just leave it alone and wait, or what? I did add a drop of lugols in the tank, thought that may help, idk..

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi Shane - Thank you for sharing your system setup. My po4 is .12 and no3 was 1. PE was very minimal. I upped my n03 to 5 and what a difference. I'm trying to get n03 to 10.
get the no3 up to 25 using the neonitro it is very gentle and easy you will see huge difference...

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Had an accident that left me a nub of my favorite acro. I've noticed you sale some and could use your advice.. So far just glued it to a plug, is there anything else I should do. Like low flow, lower light, some kind of dip or just leave it alone and wait, or what? I did add a drop of lugols in the tank, thought that may help, idk..

Hello,

The nubs should be fine if you system is doing well. I would suggest putting it on a frag plug and then putting it on a frag rack so you can keep track of it. I think cutting nubs is actually a great way to have backup frags. The nubs can take the same flow and lighting as all the other corals.

Jtimbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The nubs should be fine if you system is doing well. I would suggest putting it on a frag plug and then putting it on a frag rack so you can keep track of it. I think cutting nubs is actually a great way to have backup frags. The nubs can take the same flow and lighting as all the other corals.
Ok thanks, I'm seeing polyps and feeling much more confident, thanks for the help

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
well I have an update on the New system and the new frags i put in.. sadly to say they are all dead.. man!!!! what a blow.. I didn't know what was wrong so tested my po4 and saw that it went up to .45 which should not kill coral.. so i hooked up the GFO again and it came back down to .19 that was an easy fix.... So i sent in a Triton ICP and the only thing that was off was chromium was at 6.5... i have no idea where that chromium came from..maybe it was from the GFO but hard to tell.. i will Strip down the tank tomorrow and try and find some leaking magnet or stray screw or metal in the tank... maybe the increase in the po4 and the high chromium killed the tenuis...

stay tuned i will post a video tomorrow of the now coral ghost town bone yard of an aquascape and the triton results of this 360 gallon tank.. i guess its back to the drawing board.. once i get the chromium down I will add some new tenuis frags :) uhhh and the frags where doing great!!!!!

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I have an update on the New system and the new frags i put in.. sadly to say they are all dead.. man!!!! what a blow.. I didn't know what was wrong so tested my po4 and saw that it went up to .45 which should not kill coral.. so i hooked up the GFO again and it came back down to .19 that was an easy fix.... So i sent in a Triton ICP and the only thing that was off was chromium was at 6.5... i have no idea where that chromium came from..maybe it was from the GFO but hard to tell.. i will Strip down the tank tomorrow and try and find some leaking magnet or stray screw or metal in the tank... maybe the increase in the po4 and the high chromium killed the tenuis...

stay tuned i will post a video tomorrow of the now coral ghost town bone yard of an aquascape and the triton results of this 360 gallon tank.. i guess its back to the drawing board.. once i get the chromium down I will add some new tenuis frags :) uhhh and the frags where doing great!!!!!
Sorry to hear this. The chromium didn't come from the GFO. I run a GFO reactor 24-7 on my acro system and chromium is always undetectable on my ICP tests. Hope you find the source. 6.5 is crazy high for chromium.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Sorry to hear this. The chromium didn't come from the GFO. I run a GFO reactor 24-7 on my acro system and chromium is always undetectable on my ICP tests. Hope you find the source. 6.5 is crazy high for chromium.
I Hope I find the Source also tomorrow ill be a long day LOL

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Such a bummer, that was a nice pack of 8 acros too! Or did you end up putting in more than those initial 8? I’m sure you’ll get this figured out soon.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromium comes from steel, maybe a metal clamp somewhere? Poly filter pad should help get it out. I hope you find something obvious tomorrow so you can make a quick fix.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Well here is the video of the dead frags :( watch with caution;Drowning

also see below the Triton results that show the High levels of Chromium everything else is on point though and no other heavy metals. I am going to search the whole tank now for something.... Hopefully I find something.. maybe the triton test was faulty.. I am also going to do a 27% water change today and monday to restart the system..

1613839803345.png

1613839837100.png

1613839861135.png

1613839904573.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back