reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for sharing your nutrient levels Shane.
I don't see negative effect at .25-.35PPM but i do see negative effect if it is low below .06

Do you see good colors and growth at the .25-.35PPM range or just good colors for tenius?
In my early SPS years, whenever my PO4 was above .2, I don't think I got any growth on my SPS. Of course I probably was doing a whole bunch of other things wrong as well...

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for ya Shane; so I’ve gotten my feeding schedule with the American Reef HPD down and my system seems to be fairly stable. My nitrates pretty much straight line at 20ppm and phosphates at .04.

My tank has a few SPS, but it’s mostly torches, blasto, zoas, and a couple chalice pieces. My goal is to add more SPS over the next few months. Initially I was trying to get my nitrates down a little but it stays around 20ppm.

Should I try and get my phosphates up above .06 or just maintain?

Initially I was trying to get my nitrates down a little but it stays around 20ppm.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thank you very much for sharing your nutrient levels Shane.

Do you see good colors and growth at the .25-.35PPM range or just good colors for tenius?
In my early SPS years, whenever my PO4 was above .2, I don't think I got any growth on my SPS. Of course I probably was doing a whole bunch of other things wrong as well...
Hello nice to meet you and thanks for your question!

I see good color and growth on all my corals at .25-.35 Range. I have 97% tenuis though LOL.. Most people have bad water quality in terms of TDS. that is the number 1 tenuis killer. I change my membrane on my RODI unit every 2 months. Most people change it once a year. I would start with that before changing any parameters. Most people don't change the membrane because they see 0 TDS on the meter. I still think something is getting through that is not showing on the reading. I have advise people on this before and they changed the membrane and saw instant results..

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see good color and growth on all my corals at .25-.35 Range. I have 97% tenuis though LOL.. Most people have bad water quality in terms of TDS. that is the number 1 tenuis killer. I change my membrane on my RODI unit every 2 months. Most people change it once a year. I would start with that before changing any parameters. Most people don't change the membrane because they see 0 TDS on the meter. I still think something is getting through that is not showing on the reading. I have advise people on this before and they changed the membrane and saw instant results..
It is definitely my pleasure and luck to meet you. The knowledge you shared with me and everyone is astronomical. Thank you!

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think this is happening now, started looking for replacement kits today. Do you use any specific brand of resin or VOC/chlorine carbon block?

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you talking about your RO membrane that you change out every 2 months?
How often do you change out your DI resin, micron filters and carbon blocks?

thanks

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you planning to keep your nitrate in the 30s? I kept some of my acros in 40 nitrate before, my orange passion got all pale blue. but they grow super fast

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys after 3 years I feel like this tank is decent enough and need to start a new tank... I set up a new 120 Gallon Display tank with some bonsai tree Rock work and plan to select some frags from the main display for this new tenuis grow out. its going to be a long journey replicating the main system parameters and growing the selected frags out. I am also excited to see how the radian g5s compare to the g4s. In the current tank they are grown using the g4s and the new tank will be the g5s.

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

ZgPF2HJ4.jpeg

3.jpeg

1.jpeg

4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
11.jpeg
12.jpeg
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

jI6qLVjU.jpeg

ES5tR27w.jpeg

pB_5euFo.jpeg

teMefT6A.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

hoarder.jpg

full tank.jpg

Below is the new 120 Gallon Display tank with the Bonsai Tree branches. this is the tank that will get the new frah cutting. Will be fun to see them grow and crust onto the branches :)

jungle.jpg
Photographer on point

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I think this is happening now, started looking for replacement kits today. Do you use any specific brand of resin or VOC/chlorine carbon block?
HI,

I get all my stuff from BRS so most of it is BRS brand... once you do change out all the parts of your system let 4 hours worth of water burn off before you use it.. need to fully purge the system before you use the water.. let me know if you have any questions on this please

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Are you talking about your RO membrane that you change out every 2 months?
How often do you change out your DI resin, micron filters and carbon blocks?

thanks
Hell,

yes i am talking about the RO membrane.. i change it every 2 months ... i change all the other filters every 3 weeks. i am overkill with this but i don't want to play around i think the key to keeping tenuis is extremely clean water. this is the heart of a lot of peoples problem. I am making about 400 Gallons of water per month and have the 150GPH RODI unit from BRS

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Also one sign of this is if your corals have the DRY look. meaning they have no pe and skin looks super thin.. once you change out the unit parts and do a water change you should see your corals come back to more of a wet look. FULL pe and thick skin.. if this is your issue i would literally do 4 15% water changes every other day... post your results after you do this!!!!

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to keep a very high Nutrient tank. I like my no3 between 16 and 30 and po4 between .04 and 08 so the snails are well fed by all the algae that grows. If i take all the snails out i would just have A green tank with Algae covered everywhere its amazing how much the snails eat.

Here is a video of when the tank was cycling and I just got the snails.. they literally cleaned the whole tank- now they just eat and keep the new alage from coming back

Would you say they do a better job than a army of Tangs

fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been 48 hours since the last po4 test and stopping the gfo. The good news is the po4 has stayed down it is now .30 ppm which is a great spot.. the gfo worked very well:)
I am confuse. Earlier in the thread you like your po4 at .04 to .08. Now you said your po4 is now .30 which is a great spot. I am reading you wrong? Just trying do my best to follow and understand your recommendation po4 levels.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
are you planning to keep your nitrate in the 30s? I kept some of my acros in 40 nitrate before, my orange passion got all pale blue. but they grow super fast
Yes we keep them between 16 and 64 LOL i know its a large range but that is our target no3 the tenuis look happiest in this range.. the good news it's a big range so not hard to keep it there.. we find the corals all look the same in this whole range

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back