john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have kamoer dosing pump coming soon so I will be able to give neonitro a chance and also a extra head to dose phosphates if mine go to zero. I did a 5 gallon water change two days ago with the higher alk salt on a 29 gallon tank. Normally it would bump the alk up but after two days it’s back at 8 where it will stay for a week. I figured it would have taken more then two days to drop down to 8.0 from 9.6

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thank you! I have kamoer dosing pump coming soon so I will be able to give neonitro a chance and also a extra head to dose phosphates if mine go to zero. I did a 5 gallon water change two days ago with the higher alk salt on a 29 gallon tank. Normally it would bump the alk up but after two days it’s back at 8 where it will stay for a week. I figured it would have taken more then two days to drop down to 8.0 from 9.6
you don't need a doser for the neonitro. I dump in 175ML per day at once shot i dont have it on a doser.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't need a doser for the neonitro. I dump in 175ML per day at once shot i dont have it on a doser.
Im fallow right now and my nitrates are dropping like a stone, even when i add in 1 shot to bring it to 10ppm it drops to 5ppm by next day and its driving me nuts lol im throwing some frozen food to try and help a bit too. Crazy how much waste 12 fish can produce in a 75 gallon lol

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
175ml/day of Neo Nitro? Wow! You’re probably keeping Brightwell in business buying them in those 2L bottles lol.

Ever thought of making DIY with sodium nitrate?

That said, appreciate your insight into high N/P. I’ve been being mine up from sub 2 to 10-15 and seeing much more color and growth. Recently some annoying turf algae popped up but trying to battle with snails and adding a Fox face before I try Fluconazole

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This is one that I'm still mulling over names for. Indo that I brought in about 9 months ago.
Indo-5.jpg
This is a beauty

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shane, question, what pH do you maintain? Do you dose Kalk? Also, do you use a UV sterilizer? If so, do you turn it off when dosing phyto?

MikeAndrews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys after 3 years I feel like this tank is decent enough and need to start a new tank... I set up a new 120 Gallon Display tank with some bonsai tree Rock work and plan to select some frags from the main display for this new tenuis grow out. its going to be a long journey replicating the main system parameters and growing the selected frags out. I am also excited to see how the radian g5s compare to the g4s. In the current tank they are grown using the g4s and the new tank will be the g5s.

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

ZgPF2HJ4.jpeg

3.jpeg

1.jpeg

4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
11.jpeg
12.jpeg
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

jI6qLVjU.jpeg

ES5tR27w.jpeg

pB_5euFo.jpeg

teMefT6A.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

hoarder.jpg

full tank.jpg

Below is the new 120 Gallon Display tank with the Bonsai Tree branches. this is the tank that will get the new frah cutting. Will be fun to see them grow and crust onto the branches :)

jungle.jpg
Cool structure and snail army!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beauty
I finally named it, and cut a backup frag. It is the Epic Aquaculture Catalina Wine Mixer. Here's the baby:

EA Catalina Wine Mixer Frag Blues Orange.jpg

Sorry Shane, didn't mean to derail your thread LOL. Now back to our scheduled programming!

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally named it, and cut a backup frag. It is the Epic Aquaculture Catalina Wine Mixer. Here's the baby:

Sorry Shane, didn't mean to derail your thread LOL. Now back to our scheduled programming!
Awesome looking frag and cut size!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Im fallow right now and my nitrates are dropping like a stone, even when i add in 1 shot to bring it to 10ppm it drops to 5ppm by next day and its driving me nuts lol im throwing some frozen food to try and help a bit too. Crazy how much waste 12 fish can produce in a 75 gallon lol
you can dose alot of neonitro.. the key is your system has to become saturated with it before it will hold a steady reading. you can double up on the dose until it reads 20 and becomes saturated. then back off the dose a bit to maintain it.. this is literally the trick for it

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on the bottle or the website for neonitro, they talk about the use of that with katalist and the other products of theirs . Did you ever find yourself using any of thier other products or any bacteria ? I know a few people like to throw alittle micro Baxter in thier new saltwater before the change, do you do this?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
175ml/day of Neo Nitro? Wow! You’re probably keeping Brightwell in business buying them in those 2L bottles lol.

Ever thought of making DIY with sodium nitrate?

That said, appreciate your insight into high N/P. I’ve been being mine up from sub 2 to 10-15 and seeing much more color and growth. Recently some annoying turf algae popped up but trying to battle with snails and adding a Fox face before I try Fluconazole
I did think about making my own solutions but the tank is dialed in currently so dont want to make a change. we are spending a ton on neonitro though we are blowing through it..

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

s thing looks insane! great job with it and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
PH Discussion

I would like to have a discussion on PH in this thread so please share all you comments and suggestions and info about your PH so we can all try and learn something. There is a lot of great SPS reefers on R2R and I would love to learn from you and hear about your PH methods.

I will go 1st.

Currently my PH is running between 8.1 and 8.54.

PH.jpg

I thought this was naturally very high so I recalibrated my Neptune PH meter and it was actually correct. I know it is correct because I stuck the probe Directly into the 7 and 10 Calibration solution and it was reading very accurate.

PH at 7 packet

ph 7.jpg

PH meter showing its accurate at 7
Graph 7.jpg

PH Packet at 10

PH 10.jpg

PH meter showing accurate at 10

Graph 10.jpg

I live in a city so figured my ph would be low. My house was built in 1870 so I have been told the insulation is very low so this helps. I also dose heavy ESV Ionic 2 part solution. Currently i am dosing 170ML per day Alk. I don't use any other methods to increase PH.

Recently i got a CO2 Scrubber and Hooked it up just to see what would happen.

co2.jpg

I wanted to see if I could make the corals look better. I have been told that many people use a co2 scrubber and within days they see new shoots of growth on corals. Anyway i hooked up and started to see some RTN signs within 48 hours. I think I may have started to see new shoots though. A few days ago i started feeding heavier using Oyster feast. So at the same time I hooked up the co2 scrubber my po4 also went from .06-.19. So the RTN most likely was from the higher po4. Anyway I took the scrubber off line and stopped feeding the oyster feast. My po4 now is slowly dropping and is now .15.. once my po4 drops back down to normal levels i will hook up the scrubber again to see what happens. I guess we are constantly testing things trying to make things better :)

Another experiment I want to try once the po4 comes down is hooking up the co2 Scrubber only at night to try and balance out the pH going from 8.1-8.55 is a big daily swing.. so i think if i hook up the scrubber only at night it will balance this out..

Please share your PH stories and what you do to increase it or decrease it..... and how this has helped your growth.

thank you all for reading and participating in this thread :)

Plandauesq

I don't use any UV sterilizer and I hope this answers your question :)

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my skimmer only at night. It does draw through a scrubber. I like to see my nightly low at 8.2. At 9a it shuts off and by 7p ph rises to 8.45-8.5 when the skimmer turns on again. Fresh media does impact the low to 8.3 and in that case the skimmer will turn off 1-2 hours earlier to keep things consistent.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back