Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Shane,
Do you run your skimmer 24/7? I was having low nutrient issues after I added my 100g frag tank and switching out a sump. Instead of over feeding and leaving myself open to other problems from that, I just put my skimmer on a 10hr schedule 8am-6pm and have a 2 canister CO2 scrubber connected for that timeframe to help with ph. Especially in the morning. It allows me to feed my normal amount of my self made fish and coral gumbo and keeps my pH a bit higher for consumption/growth without bottoming my nutrients. I’m sure the time frame could be fine tuned for each reefers needs. If I get too low on PO4, I will feed a good amount of Reef Roids. If my NO3 gets too low, I’ll dose a bit of the Brightwell Neonitro that you use. Most of the time I am right in my desired sweet spot of .06/20
My ‘no scrubber’ pH range is 7.75 - 7.9. With the scrubber it averages 7.95-8.4. I am no expert on ph but I’ve been told that corals need the ups and downs of ph like we see over night for respiration/skeleton building purposes.

I also wanted to mention that when you dose nitrate, it will drop your PO4. I suggest that anyone dosing either should always test both together and then dose accordingly. These are just my anecdotal observations in my SPS keeping.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The below is pretty typical for me. After I unhooked the Calcium Reactor I also had to unhook the outside airline to my skimmer as my PH was approaching 8.6 - low PH is one thing I do not miss about running a Calcium Reactor at all.

131C3E25-7CE2-439E-BF95-2BECD3E6FA5D.jpeg

what where the results with the PH at 8.6 did you see any negative results. I would also love to hear from people who have experienced high PH

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what where the results with the PH at 8.6 did you see any negative results. I would also love to hear from people who have experienced high PH
At the time I didn’t wait long enough to find out. However with my PH daily range now at 8.1-8.3 everything looks much happier. Color, growth, PE. Though that could also be from moving to dosing ESV and no longer using a Calcium Reactor. My LFS is one of the better ones and their PH runs to 8.5 and they have seen no issues at all. In fact they’re growing a lot of the high end stuff and everything is doing very well. They also dose ESV 2 part.

I know people think I’m crazy for moving away from using a Calcium Reactor but the PH improvement was well worth it. I’m so happy I don’t have fight that battle anymore.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Shane,
Do you run your skimmer 24/7? I was having low nutrient issues after I added my 100g frag tank and switching out a sump. Instead of over feeding and leaving myself open to other problems from that, I just put my skimmer on a 10hr schedule 8am-6pm and have a 2 canister CO2 scrubber connected for that timeframe to help with ph. Especially in the morning. It allows me to feed my normal amount of my self made fish and coral gumbo and keeps my pH a bit higher for consumption/growth without bottoming my nutrients. I’m sure the time frame could be fine tuned for each reefers needs. If I get too low on PO4, I will feed a good amount of Reef Roids. If my NO3 gets too low, I’ll dose a bit of the Brightwell Neonitro that you use. Most of the time I am right in my desired sweet spot of .06/20
My ‘no scrubber’ pH range is 7.75 - 7.9. With the scrubber it averages 7.95-8.4. I am no expert on ph but I’ve been told that corals need the ups and downs of ph like we see over night for respiration/skeleton building purposes.

I also wanted to mention that when you dose nitrate, it will drop your PO4. I suggest that anyone dosing either should always test both together and then dose accordingly. These are just my anecdotal observations in my SPS keeping.

Hello,

yes we do run Skimmer 24.7 great write up thanks for sharing.. !!!!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I gotta switch my doser this year im still rocking the jebao doser but people keep telling me its a ticking time bomb
Yes please switch it asap man I heard those get stuck in the one position. I would hate to see this happen to you. Please change it to a ghl. Knock on wood ghl has been good to us

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shane, I just got in my neonitro, and according to the calculation it says I should add 15ml of the stronger formula to my tank which is around 25 gallons of water, and currently have 0 nitrates in it. Do you think I should start with 5 ml instead since the sps are so used to 0 nitrates?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Shane, I just got in my neonitro, and according to the calculation it says I should add 15ml of the stronger formula to my tank which is around 25 gallons of water, and currently have 0 nitrates in it. Do you think I should start with 5 ml instead since the sps are so used to 0 nitrates?
Hello,

you corals are probably starving. so you can add 20ML. I would suggest adding 20ml and testing every 4 hours. the 1st 100ML will probably be eating by all the corals. So you will not see an increasing in reading. You will see an increase in reading once the system becomes saturated with the no3. Once you get the reading to 15 then you can back off the dose and maintain it probably at 10ml per day

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody going to Reefapalooza this weeked in NY? we would love to meet you.

Here is some crazy frags we are bringing..come check us out at Booth #521

Thanks for the reminder. Just booked my Saturday morning ticket so will certainly drop by Shane.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sheesh!!! See you soon!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wish I could be there just to see this fire in person.
I didn't see any shrooms in that video are you taking some?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back