ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome score! There are some chunky frags in that bunch!
Yes Shane does larger cuts than many others there.

And yes @Kattkrazie I left with empty pockets. Stuff like that seems to happen when you walk around with orange glasses on.

Must say it was a little weird to be shoulder to shoulder with a thousand unmasked people again. But I am a Pfizer guy so all should be well.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yes @Kattkrazie I left with empty pockets. Stuff like that seems to happen when you walk around with orange glasses on.

Must say it was a little weird to be shoulder to shoulder with a thousand unmasked people again. But I am a Pfizer guy so all should be well.
Yeah, I'm a little jealous. Fruit loops is on my shortlist. Be sure to post growth shots!!

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SBB Corals thank you so much for sharing so much of your knowledge with us. It is greatly appreciated and your corals are nothing short of beautiful!

In terms of your RODI change that you make every 6 weeks (membrane) and 3 weeks (filters) - I read through this entire thread but didn't see you mention the process of how you actually change them. Do you install, say, the 1st stage filter (with all other stages empty), and let some water run through it, and then put in the 2nd stage filter in, and so forth and so on? Or do you just install all stages at the same time? I have a 5-stage, so 1 membrane and 4 filters - I'm trying to figure out if I should install all 4 filters at once and then run roughly 35 gallons through it, or install them in stages. Same question for the membrane. Thanks so much!

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i agree on the mask thing, was such a weird feeling (I work in healthcare so it was doubly weird).

My wife had to pull me away from the sbb booth before i bought any more millis/tenuis LOL

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree on the mask thing, was such a weird feeling (I work in healthcare so it was doubly weird).

My wife had to pull me away from the sbb booth before i bought any more millis/tenuis LOL
Once I emptied my pockets in 45 minutes I was outta there. I sure hope all those folks were vaxxed up. It had Delta superspreader written all over it. I was a data analytics guy and the transmission numbers for that variant are no joke.

Shane! Check in with your fans here bro so we know you're doing fine and just exhausted from the show.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
@SBB Corals thank you so much for sharing so much of your knowledge with us. It is greatly appreciated and your corals are nothing short of beautiful!

In terms of your RODI change that you make every 6 weeks (membrane) and 3 weeks (filters) - I read through this entire thread but didn't see you mention the process of how you actually change them. Do you install, say, the 1st stage filter (with all other stages empty), and let some water run through it, and then put in the 2nd stage filter in, and so forth and so on? Or do you just install all stages at the same time? I have a 5-stage, so 1 membrane and 4 filters - I'm trying to figure out if I should install all 4 filters at once and then run roughly 35 gallons through it, or install them in stages. Same question for the membrane. Thanks so much!
Awesome question! we just change them all at once. Once they are changed we let about 30-40 gallons burn off the system and then we use the water.

IT will take about that much to get a good reading out of the membrane.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Once I emptied my pockets in 45 minutes I was outta there. I sure hope all those folks were vaxxed up. It had Delta superspreader written all over it. I was a data analytics guy and the transmission numbers for that variant are no joke.

Shane! Check in with your fans here bro so we know you're doing fine and just exhausted from the show.
Thanks for the checking and it was amazing to meet you in person! It was a crazy 3 days and just recouping now LOL

you guys cleaned me out Bro!!!!!!!!!

I am still dizzy and Foggy eyed from all the blue and orange glasses.

All in All it was a great turnout and I cant wait to do another show!!!!

Hopefully we will meet again soon!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the checking and it was amazing to meet you in person! It was a crazy 3 days and just recouping now LOL

you guys cleaned me out Bro!!!!!!!!!

I am still dizzy and Foggy eyed from all the blue and orange glasses.

All in All it was a great turnout and I cant wait to do another show!!!!

Hopefully we will meet again soon!
It was great to meet you too Shane. Was the rest of the weekend as crazy as the Saturday morning slot? Place was jammed up exactly like the old days.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
It was great to meet you too Shane. Was the rest of the weekend as crazy as the Saturday morning slot? Place was jammed up exactly like the old days.
Saturday morning was packed.. Sunday was good also. Sunday was much slower though in term of crowds. But for vendors it was a good selling day. I literally can't wait till next year.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
what other shows are you all going to and exited about?

We would love to meet some of you who couldn't make it to rap ny and we are hoping to go to all the big shows this year and next year. Our next shows are the ones in Houston and Dallas In September.. is anybody going to those?

BTW happy 4th of July everyone:)

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello Everyone,

We Hope you are all good and enjoying your Hot summer!

We wanted to start a discussion on the new Hanna Nitrate High Range Checker. We just got this in Last week and starting using it. The 1st thing we noticed is that the Checker is reading much higher than the Red sea test kit we are currently using. With the red sea kit, we have been keeping our no3 between 10 and 25PPM as you can see in the picture below, you can see the color of the water in the Vial. With the Hanna Nitrate HR checker, the no3 is reading 55.6PPM (see pic below). Now we don’t know which one is more accurate, but would assume the new Hanna check is. So now we are playing with the no3 and going to bring It down to 15 PPM as per the Hanna checker. We will monitor the Tenuis corals and see if they look better or worst with more PE and Color.

Please Note: when we started using the New Hanna Checker it was last week on Monday and the no3 was reading 75PPM. We were dosing 175ML per day Neo Nitro in the system to maintain this level. The corals looked great when it was at 75 and there was no issue as we have been keeping it like this for the last few months. The reason we were keeping it at this level is because we were using the red sea kit which lead us to believe it was 10-25PPM Let’s see what happens when we get it into range on the Hanna.

We have stopped dosing as of last week and now the reading on the Hanna checker is at 55.6 down from 75. We will continue to not add no3 and watch it slowly go down. The only issue is now we are waiting for more Reagent packets so will be a little slow to report back the results. We will keep testing with the Red sea test to just want to make sure the no3 doesn’t hit 0…

Has anybody else had any experience with this? I wonder if us refers are actually keeping our No3 much higher then we think……would love to hear your feedback!

20210707_094915.jpg
20210707_094836.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Uhhh. Uhhh.

I think I am confused. Even if that is a High Range Red Sea test (diluted) these tests are telling very different stories about NO3. What am I missing here?
CHeck my posted above I added comments I posted the pictures without the comments

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHeck my posted above I added comments I posted the pictures without the comments
Whew. Thought I was going color blind there for a bit!

I meander around between NYOS, Red Sea and recently Salifert. Red Sea does seem to read the "lowest" value of the three but nothing crazy. More like 5-10 ppm lower. Every kit shows availability each time which is key for me, but the range is pretty wide at 10-25. As I get toward 25 I share some of my vodka with the tank and do a WC.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Whew. Thought I was going color blind there for a bit!

I meander around between NYOS, Red Sea and recently Salifert. Red Sea does seem to read the "lowest" value of the three but nothing crazy. More like 5-10 ppm lower. Every kit shows availability each time which is key for me, but the range is pretty wide at 10-25. As I get toward 25 I share some of my vodka with the tank and do a WC.
will you get the Hanna HR checker?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will you get the Hanna HR checker?
Oh yes of course. Each time I think to check they are out of stock on the Checker and/or the reagents. Before I heard about it, I had stocked up on the other kits, so not in a rush. Need to burn through some of these kits. Salifert is quick and easy and matches the NYOS numbers pretty close.

Will be interesting to see though what the Hanna has to say. It is faster than the Hanna PO4 checker, correct?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Oh yes of course. Each time I think to check they are out of stock on the Checker and/or the reagents. Before I heard about it, I had stocked up on the other kits, so not in a rush. Need to burn through some of these kits. Salifert is quick and easy and matches the NYOS numbers pretty close.

Will be interesting to see though what the Hanna has to say. It is faster than the Hanna PO4 checker, correct?
what it the NYOS? and what does your nyos read?

the Hanna nitrate HR is 7 minutes

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what it the NYOS? and what does your nyos read?

the Hanna nitrate HR is 7 minutes
It is just another 2-reagent test kit for nitrates. More work/time than Salifert, but a similar result. It is also color based so those challenges remain. If I were to rank them by ease of use and reliability for nitrates:
Salifert (quick & consistent. matches NYOS)
NYOS (slow)
Red Sea (not fast, hard to see for higher ranges, tests lower than other two)

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
It is just another 2-reagent test kit for nitrates. More work/time than Salifert, but a similar result. It is also color based so those challenges remain. If I were to rank them by ease of use and reliability for nitrates:
Salifert (quick & consistent. matches NYOS)
NYOS (slow)
Red Sea (not fast, hard to see for higher ranges, tests lower than other two)
I think you will really like the Hanna Checker but i wonder if our NO3 really is in the 50 range...

So far it actually looks like the corals look more fuzzy with PE after not dosing no3.. HMMM!!! Ill try and get a video today of the PE to post here

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back