adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my house has spray foam insulation so its very tight.. so my ph was low for a long time like 7.6-7.9 always. i added a co2 scrubber and its now 7.8-8.2. but i spend alot on media because its last about 2 weeks and starts to drop. so i have my alert set on 7.70. then i change it i did add kalk for awhile to bring up but that was a pain and just a bandage... also had my cal up aroud 500. so no good.

I use aquavitro balance and it works well. Not sure if it's cheaper than replacing media though. It definitely raises PH, for every 0.3ml you use of it, you should use 0.1 ml less alk

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @SBB Corals for sharing all this info. Very helpful as I head into this world of SPS coral.

One thing I have noticed is that you and another commenter are basically running a 4:3 Alk:Ca ratio. Do you find this ratio to hold across multiple tanks? I looked at my 92 corner, and found it true for me (8ml alk to 6ml ca).

Thanks!

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks @SBB Corals for sharing all this info. Very helpful as I head into this world of SPS coral.

One thing I have noticed is that you and another commenter are basically running a 4:3 Alk:Ca ratio. Do you find this ratio to hold across multiple tanks? I looked at my 92 corner, and found it true for me (8ml alk to 6ml ca).

Thanks!
It depends how high (or low) you keep your Alk. Maintaining 10dKh will take more dosing than 7.5dKh.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I used to do this for my clam and I think it raised Phosphate, have you noticed this? Also, do you dose acropower?
Good question. Our routine is always somewhat changing as we continue to try and improve the health of our corals. IF we see more Pe then we know it was for the better LOL that is how we monitor color health through PE.

Currently we have cut the Phyto back to 20 ml per day... and also cut the acro power back to 1 ML every 4 days in a 550 Gallon tank... Please let us know if you have any other questions. thank you!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

Thanks!

Are you talking about how much alk and calc we dose? or the actual numbers like alk at 8 and calc at 470?

If you are talking about Actual numbers of the alk and calc reading

We have not considered this ratio Target for our numbers so not sure if they are more or less stable for those ratios.

They do hold though across our system - but my alk and calc is always up or down depending on how our PE looks.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Cool cool. Nitrate and phosphate kept on the low end?
Currently we are keeping no3 at 10 and po4 at .08

We have been doing alot of testing recently and have fallen into this levels.. We change things biased on how the PE of the corals look. and since we dropped the no3 to 10 the PE has been very good. Anything over .12po4 and our corals don't like it as we get less PE (Polyp Extension).

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about how much alk and calc we dose? or the actual numbers like alk at 8 and calc at 470?
No, your dosing amounts. If I recall correctly, you are doing 170ml Alk to 130ml Ca or ~4:3 ratio. There was another commenter who had a very similar ratio. Just wondering if you are finding that ratio to hold true across your tanks, or just happened to be coincidental. Thanks!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
t
No, your dosing amounts. If I recall correctly, you are doing 170ml Alk to 130ml Ca or ~4:3 ratio. There was another commenter who had a very similar ratio. Just wondering if you are finding that ratio to hold true across your tanks, or just happened to be coincidental. Thanks!
thanks for the clarification. I think it is my Coincidental. but we are seeing this across all our systems. So maybe it is a thing:)

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This likely isn't a very good way to try and look at it overall. Many of the mixes are mixed to different concentrations so just going for a magic dosing ratio isn't really useful.

You would be better off looking at actual consumption of each element in the tank and deriving a ratio from that.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back