Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys after 3 years I feel like this tank is decent enough and need to start a new tank... I set up a new 120 Gallon Display tank with some bonsai tree Rock work and plan to select some frags from the main display for this new tenuis grow out. its going to be a long journey replicating the main system parameters and growing the selected frags out. I am also excited to see how the radian g5s compare to the g4s. In the current tank they are grown using the g4s and the new tank will be the g5s.

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

ZgPF2HJ4.jpeg

3.jpeg

1.jpeg

4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
11.jpeg
12.jpeg
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

jI6qLVjU.jpeg

ES5tR27w.jpeg

pB_5euFo.jpeg

teMefT6A.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

hoarder.jpg

full tank.jpg

Below is the new 120 Gallon Display tank with the Bonsai Tree branches. this is the tank that will get the new frah cutting. Will be fun to see them grow and crust onto the branches :)

jungle.jpg
I not have the courage to read 70 pages,how were the results from the 5vs g4? Which gave better results?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I hope everybody had an amazing summer we can’t believe how fast it went and we are looking forward to the fall. On the East coast it was a very hot summer most days over 90 degrees, we where burning through ice packs on packing days!

We want to start a discussion here about magnesium. We noticed something that was amazing. We started dosing Magnesium a lot and the results have been insane.

Currently in one of our systems which is 560 Gallons We have not been dosing Mag. We didn’t have to dose mag or so we thought… We used to use the tropic Marin pro salt from Turkey which claims to have mag at 1380 and since we were doing weekly water changes of 15%, plus dosing esv ionic alc and calc which have some mag we didn’t dose it. Then we switch about 7 months ago to red sea Blue bucket, which is very low in mag. Over time we didn’t realize but our mag dropped to around 1325 and just stayed there for a few months. We didn’t think anything about it since we dose 125ML per day of ESV alk and 90 ML per day calc. There is some mag being dosed from that. So, for months we just let our mag stay at 1325. It didn’t move up or down so we though it was fine and stable.

Now here is the good part- We started dosing mag in this tank about 35 days ago. We have been dosing 180ML per day of esv Ionic and I know it sounds like a lot, but the mag has not changed. Which means the corals must be consuming it like crazy! One thing we did notice is our coralline algae started growing out of control. And when I mean out of control, I mean fully covered Frag racks within 30 days. around 35days ago we cleaned our frag racks and scrubbed off all the algae to get ready for a sale we where having, and now 35 days later the racks are completely covered in Coraline. See pics attached. We also noticed that the front glass is completely now caked in coralline and the bottom of the tank with no sand is completely covered.

We believe this is from dosing the mag. So, we tried it in a second system, and guess what? It produced the same results. In conclusion if you think your corals are not growing fast enough start dosing mag. If your mag is hovering around 1325-1350, I bet your tank is mag deficient. We found that once it drops it just kind of stays at a low level and doesn’t get lower. We challenge you to try this and report back your results. Also don’t worry about overdosing mag because it takes a lot to get the tank saturated. Since we started dosing the 180 ML per day our mag has not gone up the tank just consumes it. (See attached our triton Screenshot you will see the mag has barely moved.

We will continue to dose mag and see if we can raise it and get a sweet spot. In the meantime, we are loving the coralline and increased coral growth.

Please click the below link for a dosing tool so you know how much mag to dose.

Please share your results over the next 30 days if you try this.

Happy reefing everyone!

301642450_872348760412539_7941658355438172588_n.jpg 301956110_461752226012378_3128745210486463898_n.jpg

300857969_753867829002192_7279710789000816189_n.jpg

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I seldom let my Mg go below 1350 and have kept it higher than 1500 in my acropora tank. Recently changed from Tropic Marin to AquaForest and noticed it takes more of the AF product to keep Mg stable.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I seldom let my Mg go below 1350 and have kept it higher than 1500 in my acropora tank. Recently changed from Tropic Marin to AquaForest and noticed it takes more of the AF product to keep Mg stable.
I bet your tank is consuming alot of mag

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bet your tank is consuming alot of mag
It does, but it didn't seem to take as much of the TM product versus AF. My reason for the change was that I noticed brown residue in the bottom of the dosing container (no Turkish Blend jokes). The AF is crystal clear at the bottom. I doubled the amount of Mg I used for a gallon of mix, but will try upping that on the next batch so I don't have to top off the dosing container as often.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
@SBB Corals
Since we did all acro for pics last few weeks. Here is the new SBB Bird Bird Hammer in front from last sale with some other lps already residing in a corner.

Thanks did you post this in wrong thread? This is the high end tenuis Hoarder thread:)

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I hope everybody had an amazing summer we can’t believe how fast it went and we are looking forward to the fall. On the East coast it was a very hot summer most days over 90 degrees, we where burning through ice packs on packing days!

We want to start a discussion here about magnesium. We noticed something that was amazing. We started dosing Magnesium a lot and the results have been insane.

Currently in one of our systems which is 560 Gallons We have not been dosing Mag. We didn’t have to dose mag or so we thought… We used to use the tropic Marin pro salt from Turkey which claims to have mag at 1380 and since we were doing weekly water changes of 15%, plus dosing esv ionic alc and calc which have some mag we didn’t dose it. Then we switch about 7 months ago to red sea Blue bucket, which is very low in mag. Over time we didn’t realize but our mag dropped to around 1325 and just stayed there for a few months. We didn’t think anything about it since we dose 125ML per day of ESV alk and 90 ML per day calc. There is some mag being dosed from that. So, for months we just let our mag stay at 1325. It didn’t move up or down so we though it was fine and stable.

Now here is the good part- We started dosing mag in this tank about 35 days ago. We have been dosing 180ML per day of esv Ionic and I know it sounds like a lot, but the mag has not changed. Which means the corals must be consuming it like crazy! One thing we did notice is our coralline algae started growing out of control. And when I mean out of control, I mean fully covered Frag racks within 30 days. around 35days ago we cleaned our frag racks and scrubbed off all the algae to get ready for a sale we where having, and now 35 days later the racks are completely covered in Coraline. See pics attached. We also noticed that the front glass is completely now caked in coralline and the bottom of the tank with no sand is completely covered.

We believe this is from dosing the mag. So, we tried it in a second system, and guess what? It produced the same results. In conclusion if you think your corals are not growing fast enough start dosing mag. If your mag is hovering around 1325-1350, I bet your tank is mag deficient. We found that once it drops it just kind of stays at a low level and doesn’t get lower. We challenge you to try this and report back your results. Also don’t worry about overdosing mag because it takes a lot to get the tank saturated. Since we started dosing the 180 ML per day our mag has not gone up the tank just consumes it. (See attached our triton Screenshot you will see the mag has barely moved.

We will continue to dose mag and see if we can raise it and get a sweet spot. In the meantime, we are loving the coralline and increased coral growth.

Please click the below link for a dosing tool so you know how much mag to dose.

Please share your results over the next 30 days if you try this.

Happy reefing everyone!

301642450_872348760412539_7941658355438172588_n.jpg 301956110_461752226012378_3128745210486463898_n.jpg

300857969_753867829002192_7279710789000816189_n.jpg

Last week I read this, and started giving mg some thought. I tested at 1260ppm. So, for 4 days in a row, in my 90 gallon acro tank, I have dosed 100ml esv mg, and still barely testing at 1300ppm. Yes, that's accurate. Anecdotally, I am seeing alk starting to deplete faster as well, likely forcing me to adjust my doser. I was always in the camp of 1250ppm, and you're good. But now I am really paying attention! I even ordered a gallon more, lol. I will continue to monitor, but if this holds true, I may have to rethink were I set my value moving forward. Thanks for sharing, great info!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Last week I read this, and started giving mg some thought. I tested at 1260ppm. So, for 4 days in a row, in my 90 gallon acro tank, I have dosed 100ml esv mg, and still barely testing at 1300ppm. Yes, that's accurate. Anecdotally, I am seeing alk starting to deplete faster as well, likely forcing me to adjust my doser. I was always in the camp of 1250ppm, and you're good. But now I am really paying attention! I even ordered a gallon more, lol. I will continue to monitor, but if this holds true, I may have to rethink were I set my value moving forward. Thanks for sharing, great info!

yes 100% you are onto something as you can see your tank is just sucking down the MAG which shows how depleted your was. I bet you within 2 weeks you start seeing coraline grow out of control. Please post the after result here. We would suggest you load up on mag as you will dose it more than anything else once it gets going!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DB402020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow @SBB Corals your acros are insane and your notes on how you care for them are helpful. One thing I’m wondering - a lot of the advice I’ve gotten has said to start lower on nutrients - 3-5 N and 0.05-0.08 P for newer tanks in the first year and then over time ramp up. When you were starting your frag tank/other tanks, did you start at lower nutrient levels as well or did you go straight to high nutrients?

I’m currently sitting at N 5-7, phos 0.05-0.09, alk 8.8-9.2 most days. My tank has only been running 3.5 months and is predominantly LPS and I just started adding SPS this past month slowly. Everything seems to be doing well overall with good polyp extension and color, including the SPS. That being said, if I can optimize my system to nutrient levels similar to yours and get things growing faster and brighter I’d love to try it out.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run ARM media my calcium reactor. It says on the box, high magnesium.
It has been running at 1600ish for months.
I ran out of co2 (there is a shortage) and couldn't get it for 6 weeks. My mag dropped to 1400. Last week I hooked up the carx again and we'll see if it goes back up.
What I personally noticed was, corals grew crazy fast. I only thought it was normal because it's been a long while running the carx. During my dosing 6 weeks, I thought it was all dialed in after a week but at the end my alk was 12.1. You may think, well it wasn't dialed in correctly. But I also noticed slow growth in the coral. This makes sense cuz of slow uptake, lower alk consumption. We will see in a couple weeks if it picks up again.

Is like to know if anyone else is using the ARM media and has crazy high mag numbers. Aquaforest test kit is the only test kit that I know of that can measure this high.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back