ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and one more question, do you feed every day, every other day, or more than once per day? Feeding like this for 2-3 hours a day will be difficult unless I can figure out how to feed them when I get home from work, rather than feeding them when he tank starts waking up. Otherwise I will have to stick this is before I leave for work and take it out when I get home.

I don’t work from home so there isn’t an easy solution, unless I can figure out a way to use an automatic feeder that dumps this chunk of food into some sort of defroster. Don’t think that will work cause this food doesn’t seem to break down like other frozen foods.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ok and one more question, do you feed every day, every other day, or more than once per day? Feeding like this for 2-3 hours a day will be difficult unless I can figure out how to feed them when I get home from work, rather than feeding them when he tank starts waking up. Otherwise I will have to stick this is before I leave for work and take it out when I get home.

I don’t work from home so there isn’t an easy solution, unless I can figure out a way to use an automatic feeder that dumps this chunk of food into some sort of defroster. Don’t think that will work cause this food doesn’t seem to break down like other frozen foods.

I feed everyday. You can either hang the bag in the morning or at night but make sure the lights are on. Also for you i would recommend starting it at night so you can see how long it takes the fish to eat the food. and then figure out how much to put in the bag... how many fish do you have? and what size is your tank? i can try and suggest an amount to start with ...

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching a stream with reef dudes and Mike Palleta recently & in that YouTube stream Mike mentioned that he has spoke to many many successful reefers on acro coloration and there was one concessus amount all of them that he picked up. You wonna guess what it was?
He said that they all had a very large redfield ratio of N & P like 100 to one and that was one of the outliers for polyp extension and coloration assuming everything else is in check! So Shane like I mentioned I think you are on to something & the colours you are pulling from corals is simply stunning. Appreciate you sharing your philosophy & methods! I love understanding peoples success in this hobby by breaking things down and then trying to create like a simple 123 formula and simplify things by finding common trends amound successful reefers and replicate there success

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed everyday. You can either hang the bag in the morning or at night but make sure the lights are on. Also for you i would recommend starting it at night so you can see how long it takes the fish to eat the food. and then figure out how much to put in the bag... how many fish do you have? and what size is your tank? i can try and suggest an amount to start with ...

I only have 2 clownfish at the moment. I’d like to get a few more, any suggestions? Tank is 50 gallons. Just recently purchased a CADE 900 - around 80 gallons but I’m still setting it up.

This is my first reef tank so I’ve been taking it very slow. Tanks been running for around 6 months and is bare bottom.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 clownfish at the moment. I’d like to get a few more, any suggestions? Tank is 50 gallons. Just recently purchased a CADE 900 - around 80 gallons but I’m still setting it up.

This is my first reef tank so I’ve been taking it very slow. Tanks been running for around 6 months and is bare bottom.
Cardinals, basslets and a bristletooth tang

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, those blue light pics, dude???????????

not trying to beat a dead horse

ive ordered from shane a bunch. I still order from other vendors as well.. His pieces are the biggest, by a lot, and the best color, by a lot. They're also the hairiest.

you could argue the prices are ludicrous or whatever. and i dont disagree that acros are insane, especially the tenuis. but the color , pe, is real. and the frags are *not* half inch. I just ordered a signature piece from TSA the other day. Most would say they're a top notch vendor. Shanes pieces are much bigger + color is better when coming in.

I think shane is onto something about coloring up acros. i follow his methods pretty much to the T, i was doing half of it anyway.. but i do notice the lower no3/po4 the colors aren't as rich. i can tell when i get pieces, even from TSA, they're running lower nutrients

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

Ok you barely need to feed any food. i mean maybe half of a dime size for those 2.. the problem is your bag may not have holes small enough. hang like half a dime size and study over the weekend how fast it takes the 2 fish to eat it.. then you will know how much to feed during the week while you are at work.. I like to overstock my tank with fish. in one of my main tanks within the 540 gallon system i have a 180 with about 12 tangs and they are huge like 8 inches each.. i will take a video later of my actual fish eating so you can see how many there are... also i will film the size of the food amount i use.. i use currently like a half dollar size for all those fish... you should get more clowns if you like them and also the ones that other members recommend above are great. also the tang police will kill me but i would also recommend getting some tangs. Get some small 3 inch ones. you can easily get 3 of them for your size tank.. they grow slow and if you are going to upgrade within a year its fine... the reason i say tangs is because you need to get fish that eat algae. they are great workers and once you tank is more established you will have algae. You can start with a small desjardini , yellow tang and kole eye tang.. but again the smaller size.. they will love the HPD :)

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you barely need to feed any food. i mean maybe half of a dime size for those 2.. the problem is your bag may not have holes small enough. hang like half a dime size and study over the weekend how fast it takes the 2 fish to eat it.. then you will know how much to feed during the week while you are at work.. I like to overstock my tank with fish. in one of my main tanks within the 540 gallon system i have a 180 with about 12 tangs and they are huge like 8 inches each.. i will take a video later of my actual fish eating so you can see how many there are... also i will film the size of the food amount i use.. i use currently like a half dollar size for all those fish... you should get more clowns if you like them and also the ones that other members recommend above are great. also the tang police will kill me but i would also recommend getting some tangs. Get some small 3 inch ones. you can easily get 3 of them for your size tank.. they grow slow and if you are going to upgrade within a year its fine... the reason i say tangs is because you need to get fish that eat algae. they are great workers and once you tank is more established you will have algae. You can start with a small desjardini , yellow tang and kole eye tang.. but again the smaller size.. they will love the HPD :)
Im currently going fallow and my nitrates and phosphates drop to 0 real fast if i dont dose. Thinking of adding a cube of mysis a day to see if that helps. I noticed some of my acros look much brighter when phosphates are over .1 and njtrates over 5. This time i am ready though since i added a sea hare it eats GHA like a boss lol

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

Here is the feeding in action and size of good. I had to break it down to 2 videos :) hope you enjoy

here is the second video

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking acros, beautiful coloring.

I apologized if i missed it listed in the multiple pages, but what lights do you run and what would you say your average par is?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Awesome looking acros, beautiful coloring.

I apologized if i missed it listed in the multiple pages, but what lights do you run and what would you say your average par is?

hey no worries. we run Radions .. we Use one xr30 per foot of tank. so on our 180 which is in that feeding video We use 6. we use the AB plus schedule at 79% intensity. the Par is avg 400-450

Global boom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey no worries. we run Radions .. we Use one xr30 per foot of tank. so on our 180 which is in that feeding video We use 6. we use the AB plus schedule at 79% intensity. the Par is avg 400-450
How high are you mounting your radions? And how do you mount them?

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the clowns love it,
Here is the feeding in action and size of good. I had to break it down to 2 videos :) hope you enjoy

here is the second video

Awesome thanks for the video, I especially like the idea of hanging it off your lights in the middle with 2 ty wraps. Ever since I started using this stuff I’m not getting the snowstorm I usually get when one of my power heads kick on so the amount of wasted food or lack there of is noticed right away.

What’s on the bottom half of your tank? It Almost looks like 2 tanks with the bottom being a refugium.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
How high are you mounting your radions? And how do you mount them?

for the Radion I am mounting them with the stock Radion Rails. The lights are 8 inches above the water line and the corals are 12-14 inches under the water line. THis produces 400-450 par using the ab plus schedule at 79% intensity

light.jpg

1234.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
So far the clowns love it,

Awesome thanks for the video, I especially like the idea of hanging it off your lights in the middle with 2 ty wraps. Ever since I started using this stuff I’m not getting the snowstorm I usually get when one of my power heads kick on so the amount of wasted food or lack there of is noticed right away.

What’s on the bottom half of your tank? It Almost looks like 2 tanks with the bottom being a refugium.

the bottom of the tank like in the stand? if that is what you mean then it is my sump :).. if you mean under the corals that is part of the main tank.. all the corals are on egg crate so it creates like a cave look for the fish to swim...

Back