high pH, 8.6+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 2 months old, and all parameters by self-test are good... except my pH is 8.6x, and keeps creeping up. i have used distilled vinegar, but i fear messing with the triton chemistry.

any advice on dosing? should i stop dosing 3a and 3b until pH drops? or broadly, will vinegar or soda water screw things up with triton chemistry?

my search of the internet shows... (is this about accurate)?

1 is calcium
2 is magnesium
3a and 3b are alkality components + unnamed trace elements

p.s. it would be highly suggested, @Tim@Triton, that triton offically publishes at least a vague list of ingredients. different people on various forums are posting quite a few variations of what each core7 bottle contains or does. the whole 'know what's in your water' theme is totally at odds with 'we don't know what the h@ll is in those bottles.'

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test pH ? If wouldn't trust a reading from a titration test kit.

As pH probes age they do read high as much as .2 Also the longer between cleaning/calibration they will drift high. If it's been longer than 30days since cleaning/calibrating thats the first thing. Really need to be sure your really getting a > 8.6 reading. While not impossible, it would take alot of solution to keep ph consistantly above 8.6 so rule out errors first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seneye, lol. i'll send a sample into triton today.

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Seneye as well. When it’s near the time to replace the slide, it always starts reading PH high for me.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It you dosing, turn down the dosing amount and let it come down slow.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Seneye as well. When it’s near the time to replace the slide, it always starts reading PH high for me.

@becca10, my seneye slide expires in 2 days. must be a common issue, eh? my manual pH test reads 8.3... and tonight my seneye is screaming 8.72.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup mine has 5 days left and thinks the tank is at 8.6; guarantee when I change it next week it will be 8.15-8.2 again.

I really use it more for the temperature reading, as I know my ph is pretty stable.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t get ph from Triton. Nor an lfs.
The ph changes as the water sits.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back