High Readings

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by ktigs, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ktigs

ktigs Member

Hey guys!

I just received the Red Sea tests for Alk, Ca and Mg yesterday. I just got finished with these tests and my readings are somewhat high. I did compare the results with API tests I already owned (Ca & Mg) and they were spot on with each other. I currently DO NOT dose my tank for any of these. I do dose Red Sea's Reef Energy A & B (every other night) and just started feeding Coral Chili and Reef Roids last night (will be dosed every other night). I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and currently do water changes once a week (supposed to do one tonight). Anyways, here's my levels, please let me know what I can do to fluctuate any of these, or are they acceptable? My tank has been set up for 6 months.

Mag - 1500
    Cal - 520 (Red Sea) 520 (API)
    Alk - 11.9 (Red Sea) 11 (API)
    PH - 8.4 (API)
    Sal - 1.026

TIA for your time!

saltyfilmfolks, siggy and alyee5 like this.

2. JimWelsh

JimWelsh Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

How are you testing Specific Gravity? And how is that device calibrated? It is possible that your salinity is really higher than your stated SG would indicate, which would explain all your other values being high.

3. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

The Red Sea mag kit is pretty unreliable appearantly. I have to do the test a couple times and best guess it.

ktigs and ChiCity like this.
  4. VelocityTech

VelocityTech Well-Known Member

Agreed. I go through the same. Whats your batch #

5. ktigs

ktigs Member

I use a swingarm refractometer. I got the multi test kit Foundation Pro. It actually is blank where the batch # is (bottom of box) but there is an exp date of 9/19.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  6. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

When was the last time you did a water change? How much coral do you have ? And how big is the tank?

RSCP salt is high in alk.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  7. ktigs

ktigs Member

I have a 110g tall tank and a 29 gal sump. I did a 10% last Thurs. I have a 7 head hammer, a large long tentacle plate, large colony of Zoas, cabbage leather, flower pot, some assorted polyps and mushrooms. I have about 120# of live rock. I was thinking of holding off on a water change in hopes my levels will deplete on their own?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  8. ktigs

ktigs Member

IMG_3833.JPG

9. ktigs

ktigs Member

Omg, what an embarrassing typo! I meant a swingarm hydrometer!

10. saltyfilmfolks

I love your tank.

Yea. I think your ok. Yes the numbers will drop. But. Don't see anything too alarming. It's a young tank, and as it matures it will definitely start using more of all of the above.

Fwiw. As I understand the chemistry and tests and the amount of slight inaccuracy and precision of them,
    IMG_0194.PNG
    Lol.

11. alton

alton Well-Known Member

I like using the Tropic Marin Glass Hydrometer. The swing arms in time will lie/ go bad.

12. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

FWIW, I don't really see a problem. Red Sea Coral Pro is a high alk/calcium/magnesium mix (477 ca and 1474 ppm magnesium at 35 ppt, for example), and if the salinity is a bit higher than expected, the values will be even higher. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted