High Readings

ktigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I just received the Red Sea tests for Alk, Ca and Mg yesterday. I just got finished with these tests and my readings are somewhat high. I did compare the results with API tests I already owned (Ca & Mg) and they were spot on with each other. I currently DO NOT dose my tank for any of these. I do dose Red Sea's Reef Energy A & B (every other night) and just started feeding Coral Chili and Reef Roids last night (will be dosed every other night). I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and currently do water changes once a week (supposed to do one tonight). Anyways, here's my levels, please let me know what I can do to fluctuate any of these, or are they acceptable? My tank has been set up for 6 months.

Mag - 1500
Cal - 520 (Red Sea) 520 (API)
Alk - 11.9 (Red Sea) 11 (API)
PH - 8.4 (API)
Sal - 1.026

TIA for your time!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea mag kit is pretty unreliable appearantly. I have to do the test a couple times and best guess it.

OP
OP
ktigs

ktigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a swingarm refractometer. I got the multi test kit Foundation Pro. It actually is blank where the batch # is (bottom of box) but there is an exp date of 9/19.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you did a water change? How much coral do you have ? And how big is the tank?

RSCP salt is high in alk.

OP
OP
ktigs

ktigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110g tall tank and a 29 gal sump. I did a 10% last Thurs. I have a 7 head hammer, a large long tentacle plate, large colony of Zoas, cabbage leather, flower pot, some assorted polyps and mushrooms. I have about 120# of live rock. I was thinking of holding off on a water change in hopes my levels will deplete on their own?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ktigs

ktigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3833.JPG

OP
OP
ktigs

ktigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a swingarm refractometer. I got the multi test kit Foundation Pro. It actually is blank where the batch # is (bottom of box) but there is an exp date of 9/19.

Omg, what an embarrassing typo! I meant a swingarm hydrometer!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank.

Yea. I think your ok. Yes the numbers will drop. But. Don't see anything too alarming. It's a young tank, and as it matures it will definitely start using more of all of the above.

Fwiw. As I understand the chemistry and tests and the amount of slight inaccuracy and precision of them,
IMG_0194.PNG

Lol.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don't really see a problem. Red Sea Coral Pro is a high alk/calcium/magnesium mix (477 ca and 1474 ppm magnesium at 35 ppt, for example), and if the salinity is a bit higher than expected, the values will be even higher. :)

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to watch hydrometers, they start to have salt creep over time, I made that problem on my first tank. The salt builds up, Just a little and you can't notice it. I bought a refractometer and found out my salinity was 1.035, all my levels were so high. It is definitely worth the 100$ (CAD)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back