How did this happen again?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem (manufacturer) doesn’t offer a product containing praziquantel. So, it could definitely be in their best interest to tout that Cupramine will treat flukes.

Many, many products out there “claim” to treat something that they don’t. Everybody wants a “cure-all” and every manufacturer wants to be the one to sell it to them in one form or another. It’s just effective marketing for them.

For example, General Cure claims to treat velvet. Ich-attack claims to be a reef-safe natural treatment for ich, velvet, bacterial infections etc. Ruby Reef Rally makes some pretty big claims too.

I still use and recommend some of these products for very specific uses based on the active ingredients, but that doesn’t mean I buy into the marketing hype that they will treat everything under the sun.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to good to be true invertebrate safe and treats ich?
The directions are very specific and do say not to thaw in water and only feed the fish and remove and pieces that aren't eaten to avoid damage to inverts and corals, but like i said, never used the medicated food. I do buy this brand for my fish though.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started copper last night and this morning they hardly ate they are usually pigs.
upload_2019-5-16_9-30-26.png
upload_2019-5-16_9-30-41.png

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the copper level at now? When this happens I usually take it as a sign that I’ve gone too far too fast, not a bad idea to change out some water until they start eating again and then try again.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the copper level at now? When this happens I usually take it as a sign that I’ve gone too far too fast, not a bad idea to change out some water until they start eating again and then try again.
How do you check copper levels? I put half the amount the bottle recommended.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you check copper levels? I put half the amount the bottle recommended.

You’ll need a test kit... refresh my memory, are you using Cupramine or Copper Power?

You could do a small water change and see if they perk up, I don’t think your level is *too* high based on what you’ve added, but I wouldn’t add more until you can monitor where it is at.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need a test kit... refresh my memory, are you using Cupramine or Copper Power?

You could do a small water change and see if they perk up, I don’t think your level is *too* high based on what you’ve added, but I wouldn’t add more until you can monitor where it is at.
Cupramine. Thanks for the advice everything is back to normal and they are eating.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine. Thanks for the advice everything is back to normal and they are eating.
Glad to hear it! Many people like the hanna checker, but I've gotten along ok using the seachem test kit that is made to use with cupramine. It has a .5 reference sample in the test as well, for when you get to therapeutic. It comes in handy, once you've gotten to that point, to double check that you are where you think you are.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back