How important is "family functionality" when it comes to your reef?

Which tank do you think is more functional for a family? (click to see photos)

• A. Fireplace Tank

Votes: 77 23.3%
  • B. Stair Tank

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • C. Bed Tank

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • D. Table Tank

Votes: 33 10.0%
  • E. Cabinet Tank

Votes: 193 58.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All throughout the interwebs you can spy tons of crazy shaped, themed and placed aquariums. But when it comes to functionality most of them are not!

1. So how important is "family functionality" when it comes to your reef?

2. When setting up your reef tank what steps did you take to make sure that your reef was functional for you and your family?

3. What would you change to make your current set up more functional?

Vote Above for the tank you think is more functional.

A. Fireplace Tank
Wilmingtonnormalres.gif

image via SeaVisions

B. Stair Tank
72335410_10157665548616382_1835519780786798592_n.jpg

image via The Idea Room

C. Bed Tank
bedroom-with-aquarium-over-bed-contemporary-fish-tankgaming-sheets-bedrooms-west-wall-beds-wor...jpg

image via pasarant

D. Table Tank
aquarium-coffee-table-640x533.jpg

coffee table aquarium

E. Cabinet Tank

fish-tank-bed-bedroom-tanks.jpg

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm conflicted between the first (fireplace) and last (cabinet).

I feel like the first one is harder to keep at temp, if done properly & easier to screw up building, so i'd go with the last one in terms of difficulty.

But I like the look of the 1st way more, as it's more on 'eye-height'

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire place, bed head and overhead board and cabinet are all great! not sure about the stairway one. Seems in the way.

Overall, if the fireplace is never used, that one would be most viewed.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those all look beautiful and outrageously hard to run.. lol.

Where is the flat surface near the tank for testing or acclimating?
I'm not kneeling on my bed to re-glue down a frag or upright a snail!

Not one of them is in a room remotely near a sink... or even near typical household plumbing!!

1) Family Function is very important. If they're not into it, my leash to pursue "Daddy's Fish" becomes a lot shorter, budget a lot smaller. Frankly, I'd probably tire of it myself if no once cared about it at all but me.

2) Steps taken - It's out of the way (dining room) and visible. It's near the table, so I can use that to test and maintain (provided I clean it). We have a drain for water changes and a pump from the SW station so I don't wreck the house as much. We have a step-ladder so the kids can help feed the fish.

3) Improvements needed - Should have gone the whole way and done a basement sump to keep kids prying hands out of the sump where electric and water interface.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean they’re all pretty stupid ideas IMO. Just radically impractical. But I’d go for fireplace as long as the fireplace is just there for looks and never actual used to make a fire. It’s certainly the most practical in terms of viewing - you sit on the couch, you enjoy the tank. With the bed, it’s in the headboard, and you’re not gonna spend a lot of time sitting on your bed facing the headboard. (Plus just imagine the epic disaster if it ever broke in the middle of the night...) And do you really want to have to sit on the stairs or on the floor to view the other three? I don’t think so. But if I had to pick a second, I’d go with the stairs because sitting on stairs isn’t great, but it’s way better than sitting on the floor.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fireplace looks nice. Would get too hot I’d imagine. Steps would be quite neat but probably be ignored soon. Cabinet, eh. It isn’t really something the family could enjoy unless you have an open floor plan. Table, clutter would cover the top. Plus I’ve seen these can trap heat and wouldn’t be good for a reef setting. Bed, maybe. Not to that extreme though.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any of the options are particularly functional, but I don't think its purpose is to be functional. I consider it a form of art almost, it brings beauty into the home if done correctly. The amount of money tanks cost, I wouldn't want my tank to be be integrated to be a 'functional' piece of the home.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted cabinet - But then I looked at all the choices - I cant imagine a 'family' with a staircase tank - first cleaning it would be difficult - second - one of my kids feet would be through it before it was ever filled with water:). Actually - I wish there was a choice - none of the above. My guess is that the owner of the fireplace tank has maintenance done:)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back