How Long to QT Anemone's?

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I have Qt'd EVERYTHING that has gone into my DT so far. My Invert and Coral QT regimen has been 76 days in QT with Corals getting dipped twice. My Coral and Invert QTs have been up and running for about 2 years so those two tank are very mature. My Coral QT has an AI Prime currently with lower PAR around 80 on the sand, 100 on the rack and around 120 at the top. This has been great for all coral so far and I even throw coral back in it when I have had issues in my DT and they thrive so I know the parameters are great. My main concern is ICH and Marine Velvet as I have several expensive Tangs in my DT.

That being said, I got my first Anemone 4 days ago and placed it in a basket towards the top of my Coral QT. It was doing good the first day and since then it spends most of it's time closed up. I did feed it and it opened up for a bit, but it is back to being closed up again today. I am worried that it will not make it the full 76days since the PAR is only about 100 - 110 and the flow really isn't that good. I read online that Anemones don't really carry ICH because ICH cannot encrust on their soft skin so the only way they can spread it is by carrying the free swimmers in the water they have inside them so after 48hours they should be fine. I am not sure I trust this so I figured I would ask here.

I will add that my main priority is my Tangs and I would hate to have wasted the last 2 years QTing everything just to bring something in on an Anemone, but at the same time I do not want to kill my Anemone. Any advice, help, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

#reefsqaud #HotRocks #4FordFamily

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of anemone? Some require higher light than other for sure.
It look like your anemone need treatment. Don't feed it until it is well. You can just get a cheap Daylight LED flood light and shine it on him and he will be fine.
Get them at the hardware store and it will only cost you about 10-15 dollars.
This is a 90W equivalent 5000K LED light with a cheap clip on socket. Put this on him and he will be fine.
2f352c41-7c39-4528-8402-5880a785624a-jpeg.1778265

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I do not qt my nems. If they are healthy, I Acclimate them for about three hours, float them for about 30 minutes and then add them to the tank.

If they have a gaping mouth, not sticky, I will hold them in another tank for a day or two for observation and go from there.

If you have the nem in a basket near the top, it could be getting too much light. They can sunburn like we do outside.
I would add window screen or cardboard inverted the are of the tank it is at to show it until it can get used to the lights.
Every couple days reve the screen or cardboard a little to let me light in for it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I do not qt my nems. If they are healthy, I Acclimate them for about three hours, float them for about 30 minutes and then add them to the tank.

If they have a gaping mouth, not sticky, I will hold them in another tank for a day or two for observation and go from there
Man, one of these day, you will really be sorry, especially if you have multiple expensive or hard to get anemones that is thriving in your DT.
I don't QT my fish, but I QT my Corals, Clams and anemones very well. These animals can transmit disease that are very hard, if not impossible to treat.
I don't advise other reefers to not QT their fish but will state what I do with my fish, but always recommend QT for anemones, clams and SPS.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water that is in your anemone contain have Ich tomites, or free swimming, you may put it in your tank. You can get the anemone out, and rinse him several times in clean water from your DT. If you do this, you should not carry anything with it to the DT.
However, if your anemone close up most of the time, it will need treatment or else it won't live.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, one of these day, you will really be sorry, especially if you have multiple expensive or hard to get anemones that is thriving in your DT.
I don't QT my fish, but I QT my Corals, Clams and anemones very well. These animals can transmit disease that are very hard, if not impossible to treat.
I don't advise other reefers to not QT their fish but will state what I do with my fish, but always recommend QT for anemones, clams and SPS.
Don’t get me wrong, I do QT other stuff, but not my nems.
So far it’s been 15 years in the saltwater fame without an issue from an anemonie bringing anything to the tank. That also includes the worty nems I got out of the Galveston gulf two years ago.

You qt coral? I dip them a few times overs 4 hour window.
Who knows.. maybe I’m lucky, maybe the dips kill anything bad, or maybe I’m just shopping at the right places.. who knows, all I know is I have never had an issue yet.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone does not crash the tank, but anemone can carry disease that wipe out all your beautiful, expensive anemones in your DT. I guess I am very partial to all my anemones and want to keep them for a long time. Some of my anemones are fairly expensive.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 days per humblefish

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 days per humblefish
Thank you!!!

I read all of @Humblefish posts before I started my whole QT process and based everything I do in QT around that. I could have sworn he talked about Anemone QT, but just couldn't find it. 16 days it is then! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!!

I read all of @Humblefish posts before I started my whole QT process and based everything I do in QT around that. I could have sworn he talked about Anemone QT, but just couldn't find it. 16 days it is then! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
Yes, it doesn’t make sense to me that an urchin or star is rinse and put in, yet anemone 16 days. But I just bought a nem and have it in a bucket for next 16 days.

I trust humblefish more than my myself or wishful thinking.

I followed his protocols too so want to do the same for my new anemone.

I would hate to get my fish sick after all the work quarantining, putting in a new anemone.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of anemone? Some require higher light than other for sure.
It look like your anemone need treatment. Don't feed it until it is well. You can just get a cheap Daylight LED flood light and shine it on him and he will be fine.
Get them at the hardware store and it will only cost you about 10-15 dollars.
This is a 90W equivalent 5000K LED light with a cheap clip on socket. Put this on him and he will be fine.
2f352c41-7c39-4528-8402-5880a785624a-jpeg.1778265

It is a Rainbow Bubbletip Anemone. I read that they require around 100 - 200 PAR, but it was in around 200 PAR at the LFS.

On a side note: I did a water change and turned up the PowerHead a bit and the Anemone is now out about 70% and has been for a couple hours. It does look healthy and the mouth is tightly closed, (I read an open mouth can be a bad sign). I think it will be fine for another 12 days. ;Happy

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that my Anemone made it through QT and is in my main DT now. It did find a spot higher up in the rock and has settled in pretty good. I took a few pics with my phone so they are not the best, but they will have to do...

IMG_2223.jpg
IMG_2224.jpg
IMG_2225.jpg

Thanks again for the advise! ;Happy

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back