How many angels is too many?

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Question for the angel keepers out there. I'm a big fan of angels and have been collecting captive bred species when they become available here in the UK, currently I have a coral beauty, flame, Chinese blueline and majestic split between a few tanks, all of which will all be going in my 300g which arrives next weekend.

I'd love to add more as they become available, seems like every month more CB species are being announced and recently Bali Aquarich have bred eibli's, lemon peel and multibarred.

Question is what is a sensible hypothetical limit? Would love to hear from others with experience of keeping multiple angel species together.
I reckon I might be okay with a couple more centropyge species but what about other large angels? Tank is 8x2ft footprint and will have somewhere around 300lb rock so plenty of territory to go around hopefully.

I'd love another pomacanthus species (ideally emperor if CB ever become a reality or asfur if these come back into production), would one of these be too risky to add with my existing stock?

Cheers

Nick

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be of much help but I'd imagine you can add another larger angel so long as sized and timed accordingly. Recently i have seen captive bred scribbled angels which I've always loved!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how those dwarfs will get along in the same tank (even a 300 gallon) since they haven't been together. I would get several acclimation boxes and then put them in there in the 300 gallon for a few days and see how they do. If you put the boxes close enough you can see how they would react to each other.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how those dwarfs will get along in the same tank (even a 300 gallon) since they haven't been together. I would get several acclimation boxes and then put them in there in the 300 gallon for a few days and see how they do. If you put the boxes close enough you can see how they would react to each other.

They were together for a short time in my 90 and were okay during the days until the lights started to fade, then it kicked off. I am hoping that given the much larger choice of hiding spaces in the 300 they will be okay but I guess time will tell.

I have just heard that more CB flames are inbound to the UK. Makes me think about trying to pair mine, need to think it through though and have a strategy, such as the acclimation boxes you mention

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat although I am not looking for captive bred specifically. I have a 300G SPS tank up and running for a few months now and just yesterday I put several angels into the display tank. All of them have spent months together in a QT. I plan to add a few more including a Goldflake, a regal, a scribbled, a coral beauty and a flame. Then I will add the fangs in. I hope it works out.

Here is a video I took this morning:

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be of much help but I'd imagine you can add another larger angel so long as sized and timed accordingly. Recently i have seen captive bred scribbled angels which I've always loved!

I was offered a CB scribbled actually but it had been grown on for a while so was almost full size and wouldn't have fit in my QT for the last 2 months. They are stunning looking, not sure if there could be an issue adding a scribbled with my blueline though as they are the same genus.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat although I am not looking for captive bred specifically. I have a 300G SPS tank up and running for a few months now and just yesterday I put several angels into the display tank. All of them have spent months together in a QT. I plan to add a few more including a Goldflake, a regal, a scribbled, a coral beauty and a flame. Then I will add the fangs in. I hope it works out.

Here is a video I took this morning:

Nice! They look great together, do your venustus and potters have any issues? They had some CB goldflakes over here recently and they were stunning but at £530 they were out of my price range!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! They look great together, do your venustus and potters have any issues? They had some CB goldflakes over here recently and they were stunning but at £530 they were out of my price range!

The Venutus and potters get along well. The majestic is the more aggressive one but even him doesn’t really do any damage. He was showing some aggression when in the smaller QT but after I transferred them into the 300G there has not been any aggression at all. Not any chasing whatsoever.
That being said there is no guarantee things will stay like this in the long run especially after new residents join from my past experience. Acclimation Box is always helpful in this regard.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a bunch of angels in my 450, all introduced sequentially: regal, flame, lemonpeel, emperor, potters, second flame, and rock beauty. I covet an asfur, though common sense says enough is enough.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a bunch of angels in my 450, all introduced sequentially: regal, flame, lemonpeel, emperor, potters, second flame, and rock beauty. I covet an asfur, though common sense says enough is enough.

Do you keep corals in the same tank? What kind?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly SPS, some LPS.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just found out that a new batch of cb flames have laned in the UK. My current thinking is to buy 2, introduce them to my existing flame in QT and then add all 3 flames and the coral beauty to my 300g at once, does this sound feasible??!

Thanks

Nick

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just found out that a new batch of cb flames have laned in the UK. My current thinking is to buy 2, introduce them to my existing flame in QT and then add all 3 flames and the coral beauty to my 300g at once, does this sound feasible??!

Thanks

Nick

I'd assume the new ones are small, how big is your current one? This actually seems very feasible if none have changed to male yet. I'm looking to add a trio too. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd assume the new ones are small, how big is your current one? This actually seems very feasible if none have changed to male yet. I'm looking to add a trio too. Good luck!
Thanks! The new ones are around 4 months old, I would estimate my existing flame to be around 2 (had it 18months or so and it was small CB). So I will likely be adding 2 immature females to a male, which on paper sounds pretty promising. I'd introduce in Qt and divide them at first I think

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can fit several angels. A bit like cichlids more CAN increase your chances of them getting along. On the other hand, angels are more aggressive and IME vary greatly in temperament. I’ve kept 5 large angels and 2 dwarfs together without aggression in a 180 but I don’t recommend that course of action. The biggest was 5” (all but 2 were 2.5-3.5 inches) but they were going to outgrow quickly.

U

User1

View Badges

His lemonpeel is pretty special :D

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back