How much did you spend?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive even if you buy everything used. I’m wondering in the first few months/year…how much did you spend on everything? I’m curious. I just did some math and 2 months into it with a 20 gallon tank I’ve spent around $1,500 USD! I also realize like anything you acquire things overtime and most don’t buy everything they’ll ever need all at once. It’s hard and addicting lol. And omg coral is so expensive especially considering some frags are hundreds or thousands of dollars. But I will say it’s something I saved for but never expected to spend this much.
Most of what I spent went towards the lights and the flow. Everything else was far cheaper so easier to buy over time. I spent around 2k to get my 120g fired up. About 3k more over the year or two, trying out different sump equipment and buying livestock. No regrets! I feel like I got by pretty cheap compared to those using an apex or ghl.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I want an apex so badly it’s just like the most expensive thing in this entire hobby!!
Apex's are nice, but honestly I am 2 years into well balanced 180 SPS and a Apex is still well into the nice but not required.
as to costs, now that you are this far into it, know that the cash burn curb e becomes far more manageable through the 6 to 12 month period and then discretionary after that. - depending on how discreet you are - smile

Last edited:

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex's are nice, but honestly I am 2 years into well balanced 180 SPS and a Apex is still well into the nice but not required.
as to costs, now that you are this far into it, know that the cash burn curb e becomes far more manageable thought he 6 to 12 month period and then discretionary after that. - depending on how discreet you are - smile

I love my Apex. Lets me watch numbers but not have to test all week. If I notice something out of the ordinary then obviously I can take a look. I am going for more of a "low maintenance" tank. So saves me time.

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been keeping count in my build thread... I havent totalled in a while but Im thinking I am at 5500 right now for my 75 gal, which was purchased used.

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How dare you ask such a question!

Attachments

• 78EEF617-1B2A-486D-BF9D-86B98202EB53.jpeg
    78EEF617-1B2A-486D-BF9D-86B98202EB53.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 17

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive even if you buy everything used. I’m wondering in the first few months/year…how much did you spend on everything? I’m curious. I just did some math and 2 months into it with a 20 gallon tank I’ve spent around $1,500 USD! I also realize like anything you acquire things overtime and most don’t buy everything they’ll ever need all at once. It’s hard and addicting lol. And omg coral is so expensive especially considering some frags are hundreds or thousands of dollars. But I will say it’s something I saved for but never expected to spend this much.
Same $1500 for me as well except I got a much bigger tank 12 years ago.
First tank was a used 120g. Got the Tank, stand, hood, sump, return pump, 2x power heads and skimmer plus 2 x yellow tangs, 2x wrasse,2x clown fish, live rock and a few starter corals for $1000. Then a 6 bulb T5 fixture was another $500.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first BulkReefSupply order to get back into the hobby arrives today... 25g IM Lagoon tank, Lights, diffuser, hanging kit heater & MP10............. Nearly $1700. :(

Many more items in my cart but wanted to chip away at the big ticket things. Prob be months before the tank gets wet.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question to ask. Price is definitely a factor when trying to get into the hobby, but there really is not a set price point to expect to pay. Quality of parts, used, new, automated all make a huge difference.

it all really depends on what you want to do with your tank. Fish and coral excluded I spent around 5k all in including tools and material to build my stand on my 125 gallon. This includes an apex, 2 apex dosing pumps, Apex ato, apex wave, trigger sump, custom saltwater mixing station and a 55 gallon drum for fresh rodi water. it was about 3.2k, but i recently upgraded my 3 mars aquas to radion g5's.

Fish and coral I haven't really kept track. I would probably put that to around 2k.

Honestly looking at prices of tanks of similar size with stands and a canopy with no equipment I think I did pretty well.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first BulkReefSupply order to get back into the hobby arrives today... 25g IM Lagoon tank, Lights, diffuser, hanging kit heater & MP10............. Nearly $1700. :(

Many more items in my cart but wanted to chip away at the big ticket things. Prob be months before the tank gets wet.
Congrats and looks like you bought well - will look forward to some pics along the way - bet you will be satisfied and tickled too

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Apex. Lets me watch numbers but not have to test all week. If I notice something out of the ordinary then obviously I can take a look. I am going for more of a "low maintenance" tank. So saves me time.
never ever have a questioned the added value for what you have described - it is just not required "for everyone"

Back