How to get the most "bounce" from your bounce?

Discussion in 'Soft Coral Discussion' started by AwildcatsZ, Mar 14, 2018.

1. AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ Active Member R2R Supporter

My WWC Bounce is growing quickly in its new home. I had acquired the mushroom a few months back in a trade. It was smaller than a dime and didn't have a single bubble on it when I first added it to my tank. I am beyond pleased with the amount of bubbles that it has grown, but they tend to stay small compared to the mother shroom that it came from.

What causes bounce mushrooms to produce large bubbles? Why does mind produce small bubbles?

Tank Parameters:
    Size: 29 gallons
    Nitrate: 5 ppm
    Phosphate: <0.03
    Alk: 10
    Ca: 420
    Mg: 1400
    Temp: 77-79
    Lighting: Hydra 26HD
    Placement: Bottom, low/med light, low/med flow

My WWC Bounce
    photo (3).jpg

Mother Bounce
    IMG_4321.JPG

SAPPER likes this.

2. Wieloch89

Wieloch89 Active Member R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

My best guess would be flow? And that’s really just a guess. Put something like a torch in too much flow and it tends to retract quite a bit. I’ve hit mine with a turkey baster by accident before and they shriveled up significantly. It looks really good though.

3. Hunter1036

Hunter1036 Active Member

Do you feed it?

4. Hunter1036

Hunter1036 Active Member

I’ve got a medium sized OG bounce and I feed it a mix of seachem Fuel, Phytoplankton, Reef Roids, and a small chunk of Rods Reef food. I feed it that every other day and the bubble have gotten a lot bigger and it has grown significantly

5. Wieloch89

Wieloch89 Active Member R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I don’t feed them directly. I have a couple and a biohazard. Just what I broadcast feed my corals. Mushrooms are something that I haven’t seen great results feeding them directly. I usually reserve that for LPS mainly.

6. AwildcatsZ

I feed it occasionally with Reef Roids. I would say that the mushroom itself is growing quickly! The bubbles themselves however stay small. I was just wondering if there was a reason some bounce mushrooms get large bubbles and others stay small.

7. Wieloch89

I would assume lineage and age would probably determine that as well as water conditions and flow.

8. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'd heard it has something to do with lighting (I've not paid that much attention to bounce shrooms overall, but I remember reading that somewhere). Maybe someone in the #reefsquad will know.

AwildcatsZ, Crabs Mcjones and GoVols like this.
  9. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader MTRCMember R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I've not payed much attention to bounce shrooms either, but I'd like to tag along... ;Writing

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  10. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Don't own any bounces, but also tagging along for the answer :)

GoVols likes this.
  11. Michael Llabona

Michael Llabona Active Member

I don't have a bounce but I almost prefer the look of yours over the mother. The mother just looks like an orange bubble coral. At least yours looks like a uniquely textured and brightly colored shroom.

AwildcatsZ, Crabs Mcjones and GoVols like this.
  12. SAPPER

SAPPER Active Member R2R Supporter UK Reef Club Member

People say intense lighting forms the bubbles. I don't agree and I think there is more to it. My tank is not intensely lit up and I have Biohazard and a few other bounce. I have had bio hazards form from tiny parts of the foot getting left behind when one has moved. As soon as the mushroom developed you could see tiny inflated vesicles.

20170326_175431-01.jpeg

13. AwildcatsZ

The lineage is great. As in the image above, the mother has very large bubbles. Could the possibility of it being a natural baby, coming from the foot of the mother play a role?

14. AwildcatsZ

Thank you! Believe me, I am not unhappy with it by any means.

15. AwildcatsZ

Do you find that the natural babies from the foot have smaller bubbles than the OG mother? I am sure there are dozens of variables that go into it, but seeing mine compared to others has made me curious.

16. Wieloch89

The mother came from some other coral at some point as well? I think age would have to be taken in to account as well. How old was the mother at that point in the photo and how old is yours? Mine develop more and large bubbles as they grow. It’s the exact same DNA, and barring some outside act of nature they should end up looking relatively the same.

AwildcatsZ likes this.
  17. AwildcatsZ

This makes sense. I figured it would develop as it ages. Mine is less than 6 months old. Would it be fair to assume that the "babies" you see with large bubbles are cuts from mother shoorms, rather than natural splits?

18. Wieloch89

That would be absolutely fair. That’s the only way a “baby” would have bubbles that large or abundant. The ones I’ve cut look much different than the ones that my shrooms have “birthed”

Draft saved Draft deleted