How to get the most "bounce" from your bounce?

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My WWC Bounce is growing quickly in its new home. I had acquired the mushroom a few months back in a trade. It was smaller than a dime and didn't have a single bubble on it when I first added it to my tank. I am beyond pleased with the amount of bubbles that it has grown, but they tend to stay small compared to the mother shroom that it came from.

What causes bounce mushrooms to produce large bubbles? Why does mind produce small bubbles?

Tank Parameters:
Size: 29 gallons
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Phosphate: <0.03
Alk: 10
Ca: 420
Mg: 1400
Temp: 77-79
Lighting: Hydra 26HD
Placement: Bottom, low/med light, low/med flow

My WWC Bounce
photo (3).jpg

Mother Bounce
IMG_4321.JPG

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess would be flow? And that’s really just a guess. Put something like a torch in too much flow and it tends to retract quite a bit. I’ve hit mine with a turkey baster by accident before and they shriveled up significantly. It looks really good though.

Hunter1036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a medium sized OG bounce and I feed it a mix of seachem Fuel, Phytoplankton, Reef Roids, and a small chunk of Rods Reef food. I feed it that every other day and the bubble have gotten a lot bigger and it has grown significantly

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed them directly. I have a couple and a biohazard. Just what I broadcast feed my corals. Mushrooms are something that I haven’t seen great results feeding them directly. I usually reserve that for LPS mainly.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume lineage and age would probably determine that as well as water conditions and flow.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd heard it has something to do with lighting (I've not paid that much attention to bounce shrooms overall, but I remember reading that somewhere). Maybe someone in the #reefsquad will know.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd heard it has something to do with lighting (I've not paid that much attention to bounce shrooms overall, but I remember reading that somewhere). Maybe someone in the #reefsquad will know.
I've not payed much attention to bounce shrooms either, but I'd like to tag along... ;Writing

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't own any bounces, but also tagging along for the answer :)

SAPPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say intense lighting forms the bubbles. I don't agree and I think there is more to it. My tank is not intensely lit up and I have Biohazard and a few other bounce. I have had bio hazards form from tiny parts of the foot getting left behind when one has moved. As soon as the mushroom developed you could see tiny inflated vesicles.

20170326_175431-01.jpeg

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say intense lighting forms the bubbles. I don't agree and I think there is more to it. My tank is not intensely lit up and I have Biohazard and a few other bounce. I have had bio hazards form from tiny parts of the foot getting left behind when one has moved. As soon as the mushroom developed you could see tiny inflated vesicles.

20170326_175431-01.jpeg
Do you find that the natural babies from the foot have smaller bubbles than the OG mother? I am sure there are dozens of variables that go into it, but seeing mine compared to others has made me curious.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lineage is great. As in the image above, the mother has very large bubbles. Could the possibility of it being a natural baby, coming from the foot of the mother play a role?
The mother came from some other coral at some point as well? I think age would have to be taken in to account as well. How old was the mother at that point in the photo and how old is yours? Mine develop more and large bubbles as they grow. It’s the exact same DNA, and barring some outside act of nature they should end up looking relatively the same.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mother came from some other coral at some point as well? I think age would have to be taken in to account as well. How old was the mother at that point in the photo and how old is yours? Mine develop more and large bubbles as they grow. It’s the exact same DNA, and barring some outside act of nature they should end up looking relatively the same.
This makes sense. I figured it would develop as it ages. Mine is less than 6 months old. Would it be fair to assume that the "babies" you see with large bubbles are cuts from mother shoorms, rather than natural splits?

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes sense. I figured it would develop as it ages. Mine is less than 6 months old. Would it be fair to assume that the "babies" you see with large bubbles are cuts from mother shoorms, rather than natural splits?
That would be absolutely fair. That’s the only way a “baby” would have bubbles that large or abundant. The ones I’ve cut look much different than the ones that my shrooms have “birthed”

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a medium sized OG bounce and I feed it a mix of seachem Fuel, Phytoplankton, Reef Roids, and a small chunk of Rods Reef food. I feed it that every other day and the bubble have gotten a lot bigger and it has grown significantly

How does it eat? They are photosynthetic? Right?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it eat? They are photosynthetic? Right?

I just broadcast feed my og bounce, reef roids and a ton of Red Sea, Reef Energy.

Yeah,
Their not NPS corals, and need some light, with calm flow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back