How to Quarantine

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that vein- if I’m not seeing stringy poop, I don’t treat with GC+focus in the food, or should I use it proactively just in case?

FWIW- my clowns have solid little pellet poop so I’m not planning to treat for internal parasites. They got a 90 min reef rally bath on day 1 (5 days ago) , and I’m ramping up the copper power as we speak.

I love this thread and all the helpful info

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that vein- if I’m not seeing stringy poop, I don’t treat with GC+focus in the food, or should I use it proactively just in case?

FWIW- my clowns have solid little pellet poop so I’m not planning to treat for internal parasites. They got a 90 min reef rally bath on day 1 (5 days ago) , and I’m ramping up the copper power as we speak.

As long as you have seen each fish in the system poo I wouldn't treat although I also don't feel it hurts with fish that aren't picky eaters.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your fish probably doesn’t need it, but I plan to do this for all my new fish (feed gc). It’s a no-brainer in my book.

I agree, great thread!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather not medicate of not required- plus, I don’t have any...

I need to stock my fishy medicine cabinet and do proactive treatments, I guess

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather not medicate of not required- plus, I don’t have any...

I need to stock my fishy medicine cabinet and do proactive treatments, I guess
Understand completely. FWIW API general cure is about the only med I can find at my LFS and a couple big name pet stores near me. Good luck.

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Humblefish, @HotRocks, @Big G - We're back after our horrific issues with Velvet back in April/May. After quarantining the few remaining fish and treating them until the last fish died in late June, we went fallow in both of our reef tanks until now, summer is pretty busy around here, just in case anything still loomed in amongst the coral/inverts. Pretty boring! Our LFS no longer stocks saltwater, so we're left to the mercy of Live Aquaria. We placed a minimal order with LA and jumped back on this, as well as the Quarantining thread. Wow! Looks like recommended protocols have changed, which leads me to some questions. We have two reef tanks, one more aggressive than the other, here's what we ordered:

QT #1 - Valentini Puffer, Royal Gramma, Yellow Watchman Goby, Yellow Clown Goby, Tailspot Blenny
QT #2 - Ocellaris Clowns (2), Yellowtail Damsels (3), Purple Dotty, Purple Stripe Dotty
QT #3 (Frag tank) - Pistol Shrimp, Blood Shrimp (2), Sexy Shrimp, Emerald Crabs (2), Sexy Shrimp, Trapezia Acropora Crab

Acclimation went fairly well considering LA provided misinformation regarding SG. Told me "everything will be at 1.025", which I thought was high, but salesman reassured me this was correct. Fish arrived at 1.019 - 1.020 and inverts were at 1.025. Needless to say we spent some time adjusting QT's. Anyway, here are our questions:

1) Everything is eating, swimming and looks fairly healthy. So, excluding the Invert/Frag QT which will be fallow for 76 days, what next? I've read several different protocols, but nothing saying "this is best". Should we ramp up Copper Power first? How many days? 6-8? Therapeutic level of 1.75ppm? (We do have a Hanna Copper checker) For how long? 14 days? 30 days? Do any of our new fish have any issues with Copper?

2) We have Ammonia monitors in QT's #1 and #2. Water changes? How often?

3) If Copper is first, then what? H2O change and Carbon? How long do we run carbon? Test? We do not have additional QT tanks to switch for this stage.

3) After Carbon, do we use PraziPro and Metro? What level? How long?

4) Post Treatment Observation? How long?

5) Total treatment time frame? 45-60 days?

Anything else? We really appreciate all your help.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Humblefish, @HotRocks, @Big G - We're back after our horrific issues with Velvet back in April/May. After quarantining the few remaining fish and treating them until the last fish died in late June, we went fallow in both of our reef tanks until now, summer is pretty busy around here, just in case anything still loomed in amongst the coral/inverts. Pretty boring! Our LFS no longer stocks saltwater, so we're left to the mercy of Live Aquaria. We placed a minimal order with LA and jumped back on this, as well as the Quarantining thread. Wow! Looks like recommended protocols have changed, which leads me to some questions. We have two reef tanks, one more aggressive than the other, here's what we ordered:

QT #1 - Valentini Puffer, Royal Gramma, Yellow Watchman Goby, Yellow Clown Goby, Tailspot Blenny
QT #2 - Ocellaris Clowns (2), Yellowtail Damsels (3), Purple Dotty, Purple Stripe Dotty
QT #3 (Frag tank) - Pistol Shrimp, Blood Shrimp (2), Sexy Shrimp, Emerald Crabs (2), Sexy Shrimp, Trapezia Acropora Crab

Acclimation went fairly well considering LA provided misinformation regarding SG. Told me "everything will be at 1.025", which I thought was high, but salesman reassured me this was correct. Fish arrived at 1.019 - 1.020 and inverts were at 1.025. Needless to say we spent some time adjusting QT's. Anyway, here are our questions:

1) Everything is eating, swimming and looks fairly healthy. So, excluding the Invert/Frag QT which will be fallow for 76 days, what next? I've read several different protocols, but nothing saying "this is best". Should we ramp up Copper Power first? How many days? 6-8? Therapeutic level of 1.75ppm? (We do have a Hanna Copper checker) For how long? 14 days? 30 days? Do any of our new fish have any issues with Copper?

2) We have Ammonia monitors in QT's #1 and #2. Water changes? How often?

3) If Copper is first, then what? H2O change and Carbon? How long do we run carbon? Test? We do not have additional QT tanks to switch for this stage.

3) After Carbon, do we use PraziPro and Metro? What level? How long?

4) Post Treatment Observation? How long?

5) Total treatment time frame? 45-60 days?

Anything else? We really appreciate all your help.
There is more than one way to QT fish. Here is what I do and have the most success with:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

WCs are only necessary if your water is dirty or you have ammonia registering on the badges. Size and frequency would be determined by the ammonia amount. If your QTs have established biofilters the ammonia should be a non issue.

Don't run any carbon in any tanks that you are medicating. If you want to run carbon in an observation tank that is fine.

I think the link I posted will answer the rest of your questions in regards to how I would QT your fish and what order to use what meds etc.

Your shrimp/crab just need to be kept in a fishless system for 76 days.

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is from a while ago so idk if anyone will respond but here goes:
I have limited space for tanks so I was wondering is there any way to use the same quarantine tank for fish and inverts? Because if I dose anything it will kill inverts. Can I just do one thing at a time and leave them in there for longer and not dose copper or prozipro? Say do a fish first for a few months add it to my DT and then do a crab or a snail or something?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was first stocking my tank I used Rubbermaid totes for inverts. No filter needed. Just a light, flow and heat.

If you do one thing at a time and you are using a bare bottom QT, you can switch back and forth. (Heavy sterilization and cleaning between batches) + using all new water.
My recommendation is to use seperate systems to prevent any problems.

Also if using the same tank I would complete the QT process for the inverts first then move to fish.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is from a while ago so idk if anyone will respond but here goes:
I have limited space for tanks so I was wondering is there any way to use the same quarantine tank for fish and inverts? Because if I dose anything it will kill inverts. Can I just do one thing at a time and leave them in there for longer and not dose copper or prozipro? Say do a fish first for a few months add it to my DT and then do a crab or a snail or something?
Nope. Copper can kill most inverts. Sorry. 76 days in a separate QT for inverts to starve out Ich/velvet/brook.

Teufel72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you ran Chloroquine and the fishs are ready for transfer, do you run activated carbon again? Do you need to replace the sponge or other Bacteria media? Or just carbon and met the qt run?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in particular I need to watch out for with either a magnificent foxface or a Randall’s goby?

Protocol is as follows-

1) 90 minute dip in ruby reef rally upon getting them home

2) qt tank with copper power at 1ppm

3) ramp copper power to 1.75 ppm over three days

4) hold at 1.75ppm for 14 days

5) new tank, fresh saltwater, dose prazipro on days 1 and 7, then 7 more days observation

6) DT on day 31 after getting home

Thanks

Qt tanks are 10g with aquaclear hob, cycled filters, ammonia alert badge, pvc elbow, air stone on high

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in particular I need to watch out for with either a magnificent foxface or a Randall’s goby?

Protocol is as follows-

5) new tank, fresh saltwater, dose prazipro on days 1 and 7, then 7 more days observation

Thanks

Qt tanks are 10g with aquaclear hob, cycled filters, ammonia alert badge, pvc elbow, air stone on high
I wold also feed with gc/focus/food for a couple of weeks.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Protocol is as follows-

Thanks

That sounds perfect. I've never kept foxface or that particular goby, but am not aware of any special restrictions or medication sensitivity with these species.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a 20 gallon long be adequate for quarantining an 8” foxface?
40b is minimum I'd use on a fish that large. A 55 would be ideal.

A 20 could work in an emergency situation but that would be stressful on an 8" fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back