Hurricane preparedness question.

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all with a potential large hurricane approaching us on the west coast of Florida I have a question. I have 3 systems 10-20-65 gallons. Should I move all of my coral to the 65 with the chance that it can maintain temp better for longer since it has more water volume. Temp is my only fear. I have a generator and plenty of gas to last. I have battery air pumps to run during the storm. I am just concerned about temperature for the days after the storm passes. Thank you all and stay safe Florida peeps!

OP
OP
Sabra616

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights and everything off except for one pump for water movement at the surface and run a fan over the surface to help with cooling. I kept 2 tanks going for nine days after a storm, it can be done. Also have plenty of top off rodi on hand.
I am just going to run return pumps on each tank. I will have roughly 200 gallons of rodi water on hand. Thank you!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery back up for a pump and run airstone in the sumps and good advice from the three people above

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger the volume the more stable the temperature but eventually it will rise and it will be easier to replaced necessary evaporation on a smaller volume if using fans the plan. Just like it takes less energy to warm a small volume it will takes less energy to cool it. I'd concentrate everything in the smallest. Would take less frozen bottles to maintain, too.

OP
OP
Sabra616

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all thank you for the tips! We made it through our city is beat up pretty bad. But all livestock in all three tanks survived. Battery bubblers got us through the storm and the generator held us until power was restored about 60hrs. Happy reefing!!
77F62CF4-6F45-4144-B795-76400B03ADCB.jpeg

Back