Hybrid Cooling Strategy

SamMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

This is my first post on R2R and I probably should have started with a build thread (almost ready). I will try to do it soon.
My question to the community is if anyone has implemented a "hybrid" (evaporation + chiller) cooling strategy.

I am in the Southern hemisphere (Buenos Aires) and it gets consistently hot (+30ºC, 86ºF) here in summer time. I would normally have the AC on with a target temp of 25-26º (77-79ºF) in the room. I am putting together a 100G system with a DC return pump (20-30W), AC skimmer pump (18W), Hydra 26s hanging above the peninsula tank and a couple of Nero5s.

I am thinking on getting a small chiller (1/20, 1/15) and combine with evaporation fans in the sump. I am trying to avoid a noisy chiller without getting a super humid sump/room.

Have you guys tried something like this?, how would you recommend to stage the two? (I can use an APEX to kick them on and off independently)

Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas.

Sam

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d plumb the chiller outside. That will be much more efficient because it will remove the heat from the house instead of passing the heat along to your air conditioning.

I’d probably use the fans as a first stage, then the chiller if temps get too high.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

This is my first post on R2R and I probably should have started with a build thread (almost ready). I will try to do it soon.
My question to the community is if anyone has implemented a "hybrid" (evaporation + chiller) cooling strategy.

I am in the Southern hemisphere (Buenos Aires) and it gets consistently hot (+30ºC, 86ºF) here in summer time. I would normally have the AC on with a target temp of 25-26º (77-79ºF) in the room. I am putting together a 100G system with a DC return pump (20-30W), AC skimmer pump (18W), Hydra 26s hanging above the peninsula tank and a couple of Nero5s.

I am thinking on getting a small chiller (1/20, 1/15) and combine with evaporation fans in the sump. I am trying to avoid a noisy chiller without getting a super humid sump/room.

Have you guys tried something like this?, how would you recommend to stage the two? (I can use an APEX to kick them on and off independently)

Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas.

Sam
IMO Fans work way better are cheaper both in initial cost and electricity use plus they are more reliable. I live in Houston so I have similar problems as you. Simplier is better.

stiffljp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third on the fans, they are surprisingly effective when aimed over the water surface.

While probably not practical but interesting, while on vacation a while back the resort we were at utilized a waterfall to control tank temp. essentially a fan with more surface area.

OP
OP
S

SamMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d plumb the chiller outside. That will be much more efficient because it will remove the heat from the house instead of passing the heat along to your air conditioning.

I’d probably use the fans as a first stage, then the chiller if temps get too high.
Unfortunately, not an easy option as the tank is kind of in the middle of the house. On the + side, it is on a large and high ceiling room (6m, 19 ft height) so hot air goes up consistently.

OP
OP
S

SamMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am inclined for the fans, and think that they are probably a lot more reliable if oversized to cope with an occasional shortage of AC. Main reason to add the chiller is to avoid some of the humidity generated by evaporation.
Do you guys run the fans on the sump or DT?

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you would need a chiller with the temps you stated, I would however echo what the others have said and go with a fan or 2 blowing across the water surface.

I live in Arizona just outside of Phoenix and we regularly get temps above 40-45 Celsius ( 104-113 Fahrenheit ). we have an average of about 100 days above 100, I keep the AC on obviously but my tank has yet to get above 80 and I do not have a chiller or even fans on my tank. My tank is about 200 gallons of total water volume with no tops and no canopy so it’s all evaporative cooling.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a JBJ 1/10 in the cabinet of my 29G cube for years. The LED system I had and closed top had my temps creep up to 85-87 during the day. Winter or summer as the air is always conditioned in the house to 74 degrees or so.

It was not loud at all. Sounded like a mini fridge, even quieter because it was in a cabinet. It did create quite a bit of heat, so I did vent the stand.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am inclined for the fans, and think that they are probably a lot more reliable if oversized to cope with an occasional shortage of AC. Main reason to add the chiller is to avoid some of the humidity generated by evaporation.
Do you guys run the fans on the sump or DT?

I could have a fan setup running for about $100. Start with that, then grab a chiller if you find a need for it. My tank recently started leaking, and access to an exterior wall is part of why I’m setting up the replacement in a different location.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

ZomboMeme 12082020140813.jpg

OP
OP
S

SamMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you would need a chiller with the temps you stated, I would however echo what the others have said and go with a fan or 2 blowing across the water surface.

I live in Arizona just outside of Phoenix and we regularly get temps above 40-45 Celsius ( 104-113 Fahrenheit ). we have an average of about 100 days above 100, I keep the AC on obviously but my tank has yet to get above 80 and I do not have a chiller or even fans on my tank. My tank is about 200 gallons of total water volume with no tops and no canopy so it’s all evaporative cooling.
My experience so far has been with nano cubes and they do get hot very rapidly during summer, but then again the water volume is a lot lower and I always used peltier chillers. If I go the "fan only route", would you run it in the sump or DT? computer fan or desk fan?

stiffljp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would go with a regular fan, you can use computer fans but then you have to mount them on something and likely convert the electricity over etc.. I've done that when my lights were enclosed and I think I spent 2-3X what a regular fan cost and got less air circulation. Lesson learned for that set up.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back