Ich in my Tank!

Cambren Sievert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I found out my royal gramma has ich unfortunately. It didn’t look to be a bad case of it and he is still eating and breathing well. Not sure how he got it but things happen I guess. I don’t currently have a quaretiene setup right now but I was planning on turning a spare 20 gallon long into one and putting all my fish in and running hypo salinity for 6 weeks. Obviously this would be a massive pain in the neck. I noticed today though he hardly had any ich on him at all and none of the other fish had ich ever. I now am planning on just monitoring if the ich comes back or infects other fish because I would like to not have to take out all the fish for 6 weeks and run hypo if I can avoid it. If I do see it return I will have to quarantine for sure then. Anyone have advice or experience with this. I did a lot of research on the topic but there is a lot of misleading information and not one good solution for all cases. Any tips or advice would be very appreciated thanks!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich cycles every 3-4 days but over time becomes more serious. You will quickly know if you have it.

If it turns to be ich you have to decide if you want to treat or try to manage. Check this link for more info on both.

looneywun7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try soaking food in metroplex focus vitamin c and selco and garlic may help it build up its immune system.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I found out my royal gramma has ich unfortunately. It didn’t look to be a bad case of it and he is still eating and breathing well. Not sure how he got it but things happen I guess. I don’t currently have a quaretiene setup right now but I was planning on turning a spare 20 gallon long into one and putting all my fish in and running hypo salinity for 6 weeks. Obviously this would be a massive pain in the neck. I noticed today though he hardly had any ich on him at all and none of the other fish had ich ever. I now am planning on just monitoring if the ich comes back or infects other fish because I would like to not have to take out all the fish for 6 weeks and run hypo if I can avoid it. If I do see it return I will have to quarantine for sure then. Anyone have advice or experience with this. I did a lot of research on the topic but there is a lot of misleading information and not one good solution for all cases. Any tips or advice would be very appreciated thanks!

if you ask about ich , you will get a lot of different opinions.

Some will say it will kill everyone of your fish, while others say its fine and leave it alone.
maybe they are both right, maybe they are both wrong.
many years ago when i kept marine fish, and would add a new fish into my tank. it would die in a few days from ich, even when i qt it. the new fish was weak and couldnt with stand the ich . the old fish where ok even though ich was in my tank
now fast forward 20 years. I have 550 gallon of water in a 3 tank system have added over 75 fish into my tank and never had a single fish die from ich. although my hippo, powder blue have shown signs of ich. all i did was feed, feed feed a healthy mixes died of mysis, nori and pellets.

so my respond to you will be if your fish are super healthy and you only see a few spots i would role the dice. if that fish is covered like salt all over your steak i would react.

hope this helps

also i know i am going to get a lot of comments that my fish are suffering and just dealing with it, well all my fish are between 3-8 years old. eating growing and fat

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back