ICH in reef tank

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is best, however, clowns are pretty hardy. Lost power for 24 hours recently and they were the only survivors. Best defense is a healthy fish with a stable tank. Heater ASAP. If you have to go on offense a qt tank with copper treatment will be needed. Then can be used for all future fish.

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is best, however, clowns are pretty hardy. Lost power for 24 hours recently and they were the only survivors. Best defense is a healthy fish with a stable tank. Heater ASAP. If you have to go on offense a qt tank with copper treatment will be needed. Then can be used for all future fish.
Awesome! I set up a QT, and while it cycles, I’m just feeding her as healthy as possible. Have some brine shrimp hatching out and have a while assortment. She’s picky though- won’t eat unless it has garlic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EBA9E9FF-B553-401C-A034-6BBAE5AB6028.jpeg
We keep our two 1800 gallon reefs at 76 degree year-round. I do think the Acropora grows slower, but softies, LPS and Turbinaria are going gangbusters. We've tried 78 degrees in the past, but results were not as good.

Jay

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you set up a quarantine tank. That is good and ultimately going to save heart ache in the long run. For the future, though, this is a highly debatable topic...but I am a personal advocate due to my own personal success.

A high quality UV can do wonders. It promotes better water quality and clarity. Rids algae problems and other free floating pests. Also, I have never had an ich outbreak in my tank.

I furthermore do not buy fish online and have them shipped. You really roll the dice. If you have a good LFS any fish you want they will get and once they get it can sit in their tanks being treated by copper already. This way when it leaves you know it is already in good health before you drop it in your tank.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BEST piece of equipment I’ve ever got for my tank is a UV light I run mine 24-7
I had ich in my 300 gal reef. Put on very large UV and it was gone for 4 yrs! My UV died two yrs ago and we bought a new one but haven’t been running it because we haven’t added anything new in a really long time. The 2 weeks ago we bought a star fish for our harlequin shrimp and we now have ich again. I turned the new UV on. I’m hoping it will work since it did last time. And my fish should have strong immune systems. They are all over 5 yrs old and been together and healthy in this tank. The infection is too bad. My annularis angel is the worst surprisingly. And the hippo tang doesn’t even show any. So I’m hoping your right about the UV. I only have a 40gal quarantine. Which won’t work for all my fish. :(
Good luck to OP. If the ich isn’t bad I’d wait it out and see if the fishes immune system will just get rid of it since it’s a small tank and one fish. Or I’d do tank transfer method for one fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back