ID of this white spec

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this copperband on 2/2 and i noticed when i put him in the quarantine tank there was 2 little white specs on this tail fin. i know ich trophonts have a cyst cycle of about 3-8 days and this guy still has these spots as of today. i just need to know if there are any other white spec related organisms this could be. if this spot remains after sat (which would be 8 days) would he be considered "safe"?

i just completed a hyposality treatment of my DT tank and i dont want to do that again... if this is ich it would be easier to contain in a QT

20180208_211743.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this copperband on 2/2 and i noticed when i put him in the quarantine tank there was 2 little white specs on this tail fin. i know ich trophonts have a cyst cycle of about 3-8 days and this guy still has these spots as of today. i just need to know if there are any other white spec related organisms this could be. if this spot remains after sat (which would be 8 days) would he be considered "safe"?

i just completed a hyposality treatment of my DT tank and i dont want to do that again... if this is ich it would be easier to contain in a QT

20180208_211743.jpg
Have you been running any treatments or just observation? #reefsquad possible ich?

OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no treatments yet, i really just wanted to get this guy eating first before i do anything, i know how finicky these guys are

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A potential problem could be the treating of fish with sub-therapeutic levels of copper by the industry (wholesalers, LFS, etc.) to hold down losses while keeping the fish looking good for shipment and sale. So these fish are carrying disease and after a few days to a few weeks the disease comes roaring back with little or no symptoms showing, but with lots of internal damage from those suppressed disease. So it's very important to be prepared for the worst. Which would be marine velvet which is rampant in the industry these days.
So the couple of small spots could be nothing or they could be disease sprouting. Here's Humblefish's detailed treatment for velvet. Do you have meds?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499399

OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have cupramine and paraguard, the good thing is that hes eating now so i can start any treatment.
what else could those spots be if not ich or velvet?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important to remember that if it is ich or velvet, those spots are from parasites that have already dropped off the fish leaving behind the white marks. And other parasites are actively attacking your fish at this time. Were you planning on treating your CBB prophylactically with copper before you noticed the spots?

OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wanted to get him eating first while observing for any signs of stress or parasites then treat with meds

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love CBBs. They are so fragile at this stage. But if it were my fish, and it was now eating, I'd start slowly ramping up the copper.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back