increase potency to decrease volume of 2 parts

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about silly question here:

When I mix up BRS 2 part solutions, can I double the amount of product while keeping the rodi liquid amount the same?

My goal is to double the potency so I can decrease by 1/2 the volume dosed per day.

(Example: DOS doses 200mL calcium and 150mL buffer daily. So I’m filling up the containers frequently.)

2 part drops into sump.

Thank you.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about silly question here:

When I mix up BRS 2 part solutions, can I double the amount of product while keeping the rodi liquid amount the same?

My goal is to double the potency so I can decrease by 1/2 the volume dosed per day.

(Example: DOS doses 200mL calcium and 150mL buffer daily. So I’m filling up the containers frequently.)

2 part drops into sump.

Thank you.
There comes a point at which the solution becomes saturated and no more product will dissolve into solution. I don't know what the ratio is but... @Bulk Reef Supply should be able to help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There comes a point at which the solution becomes saturated and no more product will dissolve into solution. I don't know what the ratio is but... @Bulk Reef Supply should be able to help.

I designed it, no need to ask them. [emoji23][emoji23]

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it. Like @Randy Holmes-Farley said, at the concentration I wanted it to be, the alk part wouldn't stay in solution. I love BRS products and shop there exclusively. Unfortunately, I was using so much of their 2-part that it no longer was less expensive to use it. I am now using Red Sea 2-part.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some experimentation a while back and found that I could mix them up more concentrated, if you are willing to dose different amounts. To me, I don’t care if they are equal parts since I’m dosing them with dosing pumps based on testing/demand. I mix up Ca portion at 5 cups per gallon and alk part (baked baking soda) at 3.25 cups per gallon.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it. Like @Randy Holmes-Farley said, at the concentration I wanted it to be, the alk part wouldn't stay in solution. I love BRS products and shop there exclusively. Unfortunately, I was using so much of their 2-part that it no longer was less expensive to use it. I am now using Red Sea 2-part.

Hi. Just curious what Red Sea 2 part is available?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Isn’t the Red Sea product more expensive?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going through enough 2-part that the cost becomes a problem, you probably need to look at using kalkwasser or a calcium reactor.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the responses.
I did some experimentation a while back and found that I could mix them up more concentrated, if you are willing to dose different amounts. To me, I don’t care if they are equal parts since I’m dosing them with dosing pumps based on testing/demand. I mix up Ca portion at 5 cups per gallon and alk part (baked baking soda) at 3.25 cups per gallon.
I dose different amounts according to “numbers I’m chasing” as well. Sounds like I can double the calcium but with caution the alk due to possible not dissolving.
It may not be possible to keep the alk part dissolved. It is always the reason why two parts are not made more concentrated.
I think temperature plays into the ability of alk to dissolve. My dosing bottles sit behind the chiller, which keeps them very toasty. Would keeping the alk solution over 80 degrees help it stay dissolved?
If you're going through enough 2-part that the cost becomes a problem, you probably need to look at using kalkwasser or a calcium reactor.
yes, I agree, but I tried a calcium reactor for 3 years and it was more of a hassle then paying more for dosing solutions. My system isn’t big enough to force me back into dealing with a reactor. Lol
(I’m about 190 gal total volume)

Is there a better brand of 2 part? I do like the BRS pharmaceutical line. Thank you Randy for designing it!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV B-Ionic is more concentrated so you would dose less of the same amount of liquid but it's more expensive than BRS 2-Part.

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton Core 7 claims to be 7 times more concentrated. They do have A and B alk solution but can be mixed together without problems. How can they do that?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look at the Aquaforest Component 1-2-3, I use it and love it. It runs about $60 for the 3 5L jugs

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back