Indonesia Situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's incredible! I wonder if seawater can be used from Galveston with the right filters for the same effect growth wise.

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's incredible! I wonder if seawater can be used from Galveston with the right filters for the same effect growth wise.
I would love to see someone run an ICP Test on some Gulf Coast water lol I am reefing in San Antonio so transporting from Galveston or Corpus wouldn’t be too bad if there was a huge benefit to be gained!

Back on Topic just read the Article and a few of the commentaries and I agree that this sounds like a much bigger deal going on then just regulating the Coral and Ortamental fish Industry just glad to know there are other suppliers out there not to mention I try to buy aqua cultured frags anyway growing them out is half the fun!

Swip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news? Thanks for keeping us updated! It's really hard to find any information on this..

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news? Thanks for keeping us updated! It's really hard to find any information on this..

Nothing new, it seems it's in the hands of the ministries involved and awaiting their decision. A couple exporters have told me they don't expect anything until end of July-beginning of August.

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fingers crossed! ! I hope they figure this out. I know many of us appreciate you and others investing your money and time to responsibly source such awesome corals.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some movement is better than none. At the moment only Aussie corals are coming in and the local guys haven’t heard any news either about Indonesia.

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the Solomons, 2006.

While it was exciting to dive and hunt for corals to propagate, it was very eerie to see all the sunken planes and ships lost during WWII. Guadalcanal was a major island of battle during the war and tens of thousands of troops on both sides died there. To come across these numerous wrecks while diving gives you a weird chill.

IMG_0534_zpsqv4dqot2.jpg
I lived in the Solomon Islands for a few months. My grandfather piloted a assault lander in the battle for Tulagi. Most of the WW2 wrecks I visited/dove were salvaged for scrap at the water line, like the Japanese wrecks at Bonegi Beach, though I did see American quanset huts in the jungle. Most of the wrecks you see in Honiara (I can see the Florida Islands silhouette in the background) are from fishing boats sunk due to neglect. I was able to collect sun polyps and green bubble corals from the sides of these wrecks, they would come off from the hull with a big flake of rusty iron attached.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One exceptional metallic pink mille we decided to propagate. This was 12 years ago, but maybe we can restart the project. Anyway, we took just a few branches from the colonies and in a few months when the frags were encrusted and saleable the colony had regrown. Some frags were allowed to grow out more and those were used as future broodstock.

IMG_07982_zps97lcjajc.jpg

(snip a whole bunch of pics)

Thank you all for posting pictures of the origin of some of your broodstock. This is very important to me; I want to know as much about where my livestock came from as I can.

And of course, thank for this informative thread, and all the info that's in it........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back