Introducing Fish (No Quarantine)

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people will say that a retail store will run there tanks in low salinity otr copper to suppress diseases or parasites. Which may be true but their are local reef stores that care about their customers and quarantine their fish before hand. I know mine does and I wouldn't buy a fish from any one else. They take pride in their business and it shows. I've never lost a fish from there and neither has my buddy. We don't quarantine and we've bought probably 20 fish between the 2 of us. I'd say stay away from online fish retailers for fish at least. Corals are one thing but I think you should actually physically see and watch your fish before you buy it.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practice, if you don't have PaulBs tank, is to quarantine anything wet before it goes in your display.

I don't know who PaulB is but it seems I need to read some of his tank journo if he has one.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know who PaulB is but it seems I need to read some of his tank journo if he has one.
This guy. He's been around.

I just dump them in after a little acclimation. I also never de-wormed anything but I keep my fish immune from those things your fish have. If you don't keep your fish immune, you can't or should not do that or you will see the problems you now have.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask dumb question, introducing corals (frags or wild) without quarantine will expose your tank to Cryptocaryon irritans and Amyloodinium ocellatum ?

And CoralRX would fix this problem?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really good notes on how crucial QT is in this thread, however little to no mention of social acclimation. QT or not, you will be much more successful if socially acclimating when introducing new fishes.

More info on sourcing fish, QTing and social acclimation in this MACNA talk from last year:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask dumb question, introducing corals (frags or wild) without quarantine will expose your tank to Cryptocaryon irritans and Amyloodinium ocellatum ?
If the dormant stage of parasite comes in on the coral, this is correct.

No. Best practice is to remove the base/plug and scrub remaining base vigorously with tooth/wire brush. You can scrub while in dip water (like CoralRX), but the dip itself will not kill the parasite. After that QTing in a system without fish for 76 days is advisable. There are a couple other routes as well, or of course, you can hope for the best after removing base/plug and scrubbing (likely best course for most hobbyists without dedicated coral QT).

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the dormant stage of parasite comes in on the coral, this is correct.

No. Best practice is to remove the base/plug and scrub remaining base vigorously with tooth/wire brush. You can scrub while in dip water (like CoralRX), but the dip itself will not kill the parasite. After that QTing in a system without fish for 76 days is advisable. There are a couple other routes as well, or of course, you can hope for the best after removing base/plug and scrubbing (likely best course for most hobbyists without dedicated coral QT).

LOL nothing easy in this hobby !!!!

Even with QT, I don't see how the problem would be 100% eradicated; I agree the risk is lowered.

I'm not saying that I don't endorse QT, because I can see the wonderful thing about it .. there's nothing wrong with extra precaution but the effort ... wow ... and some folks just dump and get away with it for many years.

Dilemma isn't it ....

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't it be possible for quarantine to only suppress and not kill a parasite only to have the fish develop symptoms after being added to the display?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with QT, I don't see how the problem would be 100% eradicated; I agree the risk is lowered.
The two parasites you mentioned have a known lifecycle, so they can be 100% eradicated once you break the cycle.

But yes, definitely takes due diligence and lots of effort :D

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak all my foods in garlic. Not sure if it helps but it can't hurt right. One of my friends came over one day when I was gone and dumped a manderin in my tank to "suprise" me. He didn't even acclimate it just cut the bag and dumped in some fish I didn't know about and it's as healthy as can be lol

Apparently it can hurt.... I've read that garlic is not good for them long term just add it when you need to

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fresh dip does nothing but stress the fish out. Qt is the only way to prevent ich. Copper is the only medicine that will cure ich. I have done it several times in qt.
OG poster said didnt have time or budget. Budget is about $60 or less. Time....... all you have to do is feed the fish. Top off with fresh water. If the fish is sick treat it. Prazipro should be used sfter the first week of good eating to eliminate flukes, worms, etc.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two parasites you mentioned have a known lifecycle, so they can be 100% eradicated once you break the cycle.

But yes, definitely takes due diligence and lots of effort :D

When we talking about 5 to 7 footer full reef system full stocked fish .. yeah the investment to risk is just way too massive.

Smaller tank I would say less risk and easier to start over.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't it be possible for quarantine to only suppress and not kill a parasite only to have the fish develop symptoms after being added to the display?
not really. if the dt is clean already and you use a copper or such to in qt no.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh dip does nothing but stress the fish out. Qt is the only way to prevent ich. Copper is the only medicine that will cure ich. I have done it several times in qt.
OG poster said didnt have time or budget. Budget is about $60 or less. Time....... all you have to do is feed the fish. Top off with fresh water. If the fish is sick treat it. Prazipro should be used sfter the first week of good eating to eliminate flukes, worms, etc.

It's the hassle @Coronus

I'm not here to argue or debate whether QT is required in reef tank .. definitely it is but I dare to say 50% of reefers don't have QT.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The life stage of ich or velvet that forms a cyst, does so on any hard surface including grabs, snail shell, shrimp exoskeleton... Only way to deal with this is leave them in a fishless environment for 76 days.

No dumb questions, by the way

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back