Introducing Fish (No Quarantine)

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Pretty new to the hobby, But my local reef store I love Quarantines all of its incoming fish for two weeks minimum prior to sale in copper/medicated tanks.
(If you would push him I am sure he would sell you whatever but he warns you of the risk)

But for someone like me he holds the fish in the quarantine with copper and once they are given a clean bill of health he moves them to his main display tank that is copper free.
No fish makes it to the copper free tank without a quarantine first and clean bill of health or to my tank at home.

He dips all his corals prior to sale as well. And still, recomends you dipping the coral again.

I do not have room for a Quarantine tank in my home (Live in Los Angeles near the beach most homes are really small) this setup with my local reef store works out really well.

However some of the flaming going on in the thread are very discouraging and one of the main reasons I don't do forums.
Forums in my mind are to share and help one another and enjoying seeing the triumphs and help people thru struggles. And my #1 reason to look at the bad *** tanks. "Not tell someone you don't have enough money to do it"

(I think there is also a DIY to help save money section on this forum as well)

It is also a place to band together and maybe start to demand that "online retailers only sell healthy fish to customers. Not ones just plucked out of the sea its in my tank it's for sale."
It's also a good place to learn what local stores have good practices and what stores don't.

Sorry to digress.

But I trust certain local reef stores for my fish, and not others.
So I do a 30 min acclimation with a (Microdrop) 60Drop iv drip set to fully open or 1000 gtts/min then net and dump into my main tank. (NO Quarantine because it was done at the store)

~Newtron
Hi Newtron,

Which location is this?

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know who PaulB is but it seems I need to read some of his tank journo if he has one.
Here is an explanation by Paul B that may be useful. There are many other posts by him that will be helpful as well. I do not understand how it would help flukes and parasites but it does on his system. A fresh water dip may help to give your fish a chance at immunity when feeding as he does or put them straight in and feed as he does. White worms are easier to raise, PaulB said he has seen them alive after 5 days in SW. Best of luck.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-importance-of-live-bacteria-in-food.300641/#post-3681579

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an explanation by Paul B that may be useful. There are many other posts by him that will be helpful as well. I do not understand how it would help flukes and parasites but it does on his system. A fresh water dip may help to give your fish a chance at immunity when feeding as he does or put them straight in and feed as he does. White worms are easier to raise, PaulB said he has seen them alive after 5 days in SW. Best of luck.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-importance-of-live-bacteria-in-food.300641/#post-3681579

I always hoped for PaulBs approach to be true but, in my opinion, his success is the combination of good fish health and the ozone generator he uses. Which is why commercial fisheries swear by ozone generators.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always hoped for PaulBs approach to be true but, in my opinion, his success is the combination of good fish health and the ozone generator he uses. .

Don't forget luck. :rolleyes:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to observe 1st before doing anything I fortunately have the space & time for 2 ,20 long tanks . This gives me a chance to observe,get salinity right from bag to display & feed them up good.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be thirst, seeking info on which LFS does the copper/quarantine method for a couple of weeks. Incidentally after having a wrasse die on me in December, this is the method I will be using from now on. Stupidest thing I have ever done in my tank was to buy it still in the shipping bag and then acclimate and dump in my display tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion, his success is the combination of good fish health and the ozone generator he uses.

Good fish health is the result of good food. :rolleyes:

If it was luck you wouldn't need the ozone

If ozone is the secret, why doesn't everyone just use ozone. :cool:

Stupidest thing I have ever done in my tank was to buy it still in the shipping bag and then acclimate and dump in my display tank.

Oh Noooo, Is that Bad! OMG, That's how I get most of my fish. I better go and check on them :eek:

Last edited:

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good fish health is the result of good food. :rolleyes:

I think because of the chance of ozone making it's way into the house is why more people don't use it. Like I said, commercial fisheries swear by it... coincidence?

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaulB,, when you introduce new fish, especially sickly fish, to your tank they do not have this immunity you speak of. So how exactly do they just get immune when you like to make a point that you hope you have a ton of ich and other disease/parasites in your tank? Immunity happens over night in your tank? No, the ozone kills enough for them to get better and the diet you feed them allows them to get healthy.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It CAN be complicated to setup, it's an expense many don't consider important.

However, there are some that use UV sterilization, which the way it is used in aquaria creates O3 along the quartz sleeve. Even with this simpler way to introduce O3, many consider it too expensive for what it does, because even though they cut down on parasites these methods don't completely eliminate pathogens, but they do help the fish not to be overwhelmed by pathogens in a closed system.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaulB,, when you introduce new fish, especially sickly fish, to your tank they do not have this immunity you speak of. So how exactly do they just get immune when you like to make a point that you hope you have a ton of ich and other disease/parasites in your tank? Immunity happens over night in your tank? No, the ozone kills enough for them to get better and the diet you feed them allows them to get healthy.

Fish from the sea are all immune. Their immunity is in a very weakened state when we get them because they are severely stressed and probably haven't been fed.
When I put them in my tank of course if they are real sick, they die. That rarely happens because my tank is natural and I don't buy a fish I can't properly feed and I never try to get it to eat something it isn't supposed to eat.
In a few days as they are eating the correct food, their immunity starts to work and the fish lives on long enough to get me in trouble because no one believes in immunity so I must be very lucky. Or it's the Ozone. :rolleyes:

People fear Ozone for some reason like it is radioactive fallout. If it is in your home, you would smell it right away and it won't kill you. I don't even use a controller, I don't tweek it, I don't pay any attention to it, it is just there. I like it like so many people like test kits and quarantine tanks. It's just me. I don't feel it does anything to parasites because I am sure if there are ten thousand parasites in my gravel and 6 of them a day swim up to the surface to get caught in my surface skimmer to get Ozonated, those 6 parasites may get killed but their thousands of cousins are happily there trying to infect my immune fish.

To set up an ozonizer, you plug it in and connect an air hose to it, then go out to dinner and forget about it. I never touch it and sometimes I shut it off to clean my skimmer top and forget to turn it back on for a month or two.

I have been told my fish don't get sick because of getting trapped in my UG filter, there is something in my tank that eats parasites, my algae filter scares them away, ozone or my favorite, luck.
My ozonizer cost about a hundred bucks many years ago but most people spend that on test kits, ASW to change water every week, hospital tanks, quarantine tanks LED systems and medications. So to me my ozonizer is cheap. If it croaks I may not even replace it because I am not even sure it does anything.

If people feel the Ozone is the key, it's silly not to use it and much better than the alternative. But it's your tank. :cool:

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish from the sea are all immune. Their immunity is in a very weakened state when we get them because they are severely stressed and probably haven't been fed.
When I put them in my tank of course if they are real sick, they die. That rarely happens because my tank is natural and I don't buy a fish I can't properly feed and I never try to get it to eat something it isn't supposed to eat.
In a few days as they are eating the correct food, their immunity starts to work and the fish lives on long enough to get me in trouble because no one believes in immunity so I must be very lucky. Or it's the Ozone. :rolleyes:

People fear Ozone for some reason like it is radioactive fallout. If it is in your home, you would smell it right away and it won't kill you. I don't even use a controller, I don't tweek it, I don't pay any attention to it, it is just there. I like it like so many people like test kits and quarantine tanks. It's just me. I don't feel it does anything to parasites because I am sure if there are ten thousand parasites in my gravel and 6 of them a day swim up to the surface to get caught in my surface skimmer to get Ozonated, those 6 parasites may get killed but their thousands of cousins are happily there trying to infect my immune fish.

To set up an ozonizer, you plug it in and connect an air hose to it, then go out to dinner and forget about it. I never touch it and sometimes I shut it off to clean my skimmer top and forget to turn it back on for a month or two.

I have been told my fish don't get sick because of getting trapped in my UG filter, there is something in my tank that eats parasites, my algae filter scares them away, ozone or my favorite, luck.
My ozonizer cost about a hundred bucks many years ago but most people spend that on test kits, ASW to change water every week, hospital tanks, quarantine tanks LED systems and medications. So to me my ozonizer is cheap. If it croaks I may not even replace it because I am not even sure it does anything.

If people feel the Ozone is the key, it's silly not to use it and much better than the alternative. But it's your tank. :cool:
Ok I'll bite. Fish from the sea are not all immune if they were these parasites wouldn't exist. Immunity doesn't "start to work". Sure maybe a weakened immune system isn't as efficient at times but that's different.
Have you ever seen a spot on any of your fish that resembles a parasite? If not, perhaps it's due to you not keeping very ich-prone fish.
How do you define correct food? Sure black worms and white worms may be decent but must lack the same beneficial bacteria that salt water worms contain, no?

As far as ozone, you don't smell yours or worry at all about yours perhaps due largly in part to the huge resonance time in your massive home-made skimmer which most people do not have.

In regards to your UG filter, I don't even know what that stands for, but I don't have much knowledge on those or their possible aid in killing parasites so I cannot comment on that.

olecaptainj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My method for the past 11 years and until I quit the hobby for good:

But healthy,active and eating fish from lfs.
Float temp for 20 mins.
Open bag discard excess water.
Slide fish into dt from bag.
Observe for about 10 minutes.
Enjoy happy fish for years!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kmsutows, all I can say is OMG. I have written extensively on this, I spoke 4 times and wrote a book. I really don't want to go over it everytime someone doesn't believe it. If you have a better way, go with your way. My fish are immune and have been for decades. Tomorrow is my tank birthday. It runs fine with no problems and I have never posted on a disease thread about parasites or bacteria.
If you think Ozone is the secret go with that. If you think fish in the sea are not immune I don't know what to say except start your own thread on your theory.
It's all in this thread I started about immunity.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-discussion-on-immunity.209701/
But have a great day. :cool:

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back