ION Director from GHL!

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just on Facebook and had a pleasant surprise in my notifications...
54514659_2253040018052131_5020346848062210048_n.jpg

From Post:
Matthias Groß
"This is what we will show @ Macna September this year, sales start November. Some just announce something for years. We do it. Details very soon"

This was posted in the GHL Owners group :)

This is going in my system 110% as soon as possible.... I am genuinely excited about this and it had a date!

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very interesting can not wait to see the details about it.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why I was under the impression kh Director do Ca as well

I use the kh director to dose my calcium supplement. Since most supplements are designed to be dosed equally you can just let the kh director adjust dosing on both alk and calcium. The kh director won't give you a calcium value though. I test calcium every few weeks and the kh director does a fine job keeping it in line.

I dunno? Can't wait to find out a little more of GHLs plans with this! I'd like to have phosphate personallu, but not sure what is possible for a reasonable cost and longevity currently.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 99% sure that I plug this into my Reefer 450 and it turns into Bill Wann's tank right??

I think you're thinking of the "other guys" testing thingy majiggy. At least that's what I keep hearing/reading for the past couple years?

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love GHL’s design and build quality, and still have yet to pick up a controller for my system, but there piecemeal style makes it hard to commit to their product. GHL has always been a little more expensive but it’s starting to look a little excessive at this point. A KH director is already $850 to make it function because you need to buy a doser, and your only monitoring one parameter, alk (can the 4th dosing head still be used to dose on a slave unit with no profilux? otherwise, it’s only able to monitor alk). For this ION director, is the expectation to pay another approx. $850 because you’re obviously going to need another dosing unit? Let’s assume it tests at least Ca AND Mg. So, somewhere around $1700 to test Alk, Ca (and hopefully Mg), 4 devices/boxes, and STILL not have an actual controller.

With the competition testing Alk, Ca, and Mg with just two devices, including the controller, for closer to $900, how do we justify spending so much more money for less of a product? Again, I’ve been a fan of GHL and was avoiding getting a different controller system because I really prefer their design, I was just waiting to see their response to all the new tech coming out automating tests that we’ve had to do manually for so long. It’s starting to look like it just might make more sense to go a different route, but maybe I’m missing something?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Perhaps there was a good reason to make multiple runs of ethernet between future tank space and the utility closet in addition to the aquabus.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the kh director to dose my calcium supplement. Since most supplements are designed to be dosed equally you can just let the kh director adjust dosing on both alk and calcium. The kh director won't give you a calcium value though. I test calcium every few weeks and the kh director does a fine job keeping it in line.

I dunno? Can't wait to find out a little more of GHLs plans with this! I'd like to have phosphate personallu, but not sure what is possible for a reasonable cost and longevity currently.
I do the same thing and my Calcium is rock solid. If this is a Calc/Mg tester I don't think I'm the target audience. For me, it would become nothing more than a Mg controller and I don't consider that critical enough to spend the money on.
I do love my KH Director, though.

Tbird2101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does mag and calc I might be in. I have a brand new apex in the box but I may be selling it lol. I had been considering GHL but the triton had me thinking Apex. Maybe GHL after all

Randy Treadway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd like to have phosphate personallu, but not sure what is possible for a reasonable cost and longevity currently.

If the new probe-based Ion Director tests and coordinates dosing for both Calcium and Magnesium, and Alkalinity dosing is in equal measure to Calcium, why would we need the reagent-based KH Director any more?
What am I missing? And could all three be dosed from a single Doser unit since two of the pumps would no longer be needed for the KH test?

By the way, there are rumors that the new Ion Director could be used in the future for Phosphate testing and one other, that theoretically could be done with probes. Probably any chemistry that involves ions.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the new probe-based Ion Director tests and coordinates dosing for both Calcium and Magnesium, and Alkalinity dosing is in equal measure to Calcium, why would we need the reagent-based KH Director any more?
What am I missing? And could all three be dosed from a single Doser unit since two of the pumps would no longer be needed for the KH test?

By the way, there are rumors that the new Ion Director could be used in the future for Phosphate testing and one other, that theoretically could be done with probes. Probably any chemistry that involves ions.

Because dosing based off alkalinity is inherently more accurate. The range of acceptable for alkalinity is much more narrow than calcium. There's a lot more calcium in our water than alkalinity. If calcium lowered by 20 ppm the dkh would have fallen by roughly 3 dkh. That would cause a problem because of the alk drop, not the calcium drop.

I'm sure someone could explain it much better than I, but basically the calcium measurement would have to be so extremely accurate. Even a 2 ppm change in calcium levels would have moved the alkalinity by a couple tenths dkh.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing and my Calcium is rock solid. If this is a Calc/Mg tester I don't think I'm the target audience. For me, it would become nothing more than a Mg controller and I don't consider that critical enough to spend the money on.
I do love my KH Director, though.
This Makes total sense.
I haven't bought the KH director yet, I'm still with a Doser2 in equilibrium.

Need to look into this more.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just on Facebook and had a pleasant surprise in my notifications...
54514659_2253040018052131_5020346848062210048_n.jpg

From Post:
Matthias Groß
"This is what we will show @ Macna September this year, sales start November. Some just announce something for years. We do it. Details very soon"

This was posted in the GHL Owners group :)

This is going in my system 110% as soon as possible.... I am genuinely excited about this and it had a date!
And that's what pushed the trident release immaturly...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back