Is anyone vegan? Got recipes?

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pescatarian (tried to limit the seafood), but mostly vegan for about a year. I literally lost 12 lbs the first month. I never felt better in my life. I had a ton of energy. It's been a few years & I've been meaning to do it again. I ran out of stuff to eat honestly.

My favorite dish is panang curry. Load it up with all the veggies & I was pretty satisfied. Everybody who's scared of tofu - don't be. It's awesome if you know how to cook it. Tofu scramble is the stuff.

I know it's pretty tough at first, but I encourage anybody to try it out. Look for a Vegfest/Vegan festival coming to your town (lots to learn & food to try out). Not to be a green hippie, but every little bit could help our footprint on Earth. I could share a couple of facebook pages that would make you go vegan, cold turkey guaranteed.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit I'm a little curious about what's in the documentary Earthlings because everyone talks about it. I think it would crush my soul, however, and where I'm already "there" I don't know if I need to torture myself further.

May I be preachy for one second? I swear I'm not "that" vegan. Factory farming is the devil. Please PLEASE if one has the ability to buy from local small farmer-owned places, PLEASE do. Go to your farmers market. I know not many will go as far as I have and that's OK, just make better choices. If we stop buying meat with antibiotics, they'll stop using antibiotics on animals. If they have to stop using antibiotics on animals, they'll have to maintain better conditions that allow for healthier animals that don't need antibiotics. So, even if you chose to eat meat, you're still benefitting the lives of the animals (and our earth) by the meat you choose.

We're going to have trouble in the future supporting a population that relies on meat/eggs/dairy like we currently do. Mother nature is not gonna have it.

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're just mission.

I also haven't figured out a nice homemade pasta recipe that holds up well yet.

A few years ago while I was in Australia I came across this banana farm, prior to the start of the current trend.
some pretty cool ideas here that can be manipulate well using banana flour. I personally like the texture as its a little more starchy, which is easier to bind.
https://www.naturalevolutionfoods.com.au/

I believe the best for Vegan pasta, (For an egg emulsification of many recipes), is Xanthan gum. If you haven't used it, it takes a bit of experimenting, but I use it daily in a lot of products, as I like to adhere to not only Vegan, but gluten free clients.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DO have xanthan gum because I've been playing around with molecular gastronomy. A lot of peeps use molecular gastronomy for cheeses and such, but I'm not into that. Just because it holds the shape of cheese and is the color of cheese, doesn't make it cheese. O.O I like making little balsamic balls and stuff like that for salads. I'm going to see what I can do with it in pasta.

I love all the fun flours. I haven't actually heard of that one. Most interesting! I'm having fun trying to convert my baking recipes.

2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look away Brew... I feel like this may not be your cup of tea. This is actually a very traditional meal where I come from.

Pea Soup with Doughboys. Doughboys were very popular where I come from because it was a cheap way to fill up their large families living in an unforgiving land. On the right side are Toutons. They are just fried dough.... another cheap family filler.

Pea soup.jpg

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad hair algae doesn't taste good, a lot of us here would be rich.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've inspired me to at least try and eat Vegan on Mondays so I've been digging through recipe's online. My wifes mushroom allergy is going to make this challenging. :confused:

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look away Brew... I feel like this may not be your cup of tea. This is actually a very traditional meal where I come from.

Pea Soup with Doughboys. Doughboys were very popular where I come from because it was a cheap way to fill up their large families living in an unforgiving land. On the right side are Toutons. They are just fried dough.... another cheap family filler.

Where is it that you come from?

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaghetti squash is wonderful.

YES! I actually haven't had any in awhile. I think I'll put that on the menu.

Where is it that you come from?

Newfoundland, Canada. It's not a hard place to live now, except for the sucky winters that is, but my folk's generation had just the basics.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DO have xanthan gum because I've been playing around with molecular gastronomy. A lot of peeps use molecular gastronomy for cheeses and such, but I'm not into that. Just because it holds the shape of cheese and is the color of cheese, doesn't make it cheese. O.O I like making little balsamic balls and stuff like that for salads. I'm going to see what I can do with it in pasta.

I love all the fun flours. I haven't actually heard of that one. Most interesting! I'm having fun trying to convert my baking recipes.

2.jpg
hahaha...

molecular gastronomy (technology) is one of my strong points, I am very involved with many modern / Michelin chefs from around the world when they come to NYC to do an event, tasting, award etc. helping them out, I was also very involved with some classes regarding the subject. I wont name names on a public forum, but it is very fun, doing large scale events is a challenge in itself, but rewarding.

so, do you sous vide? You can make some great vegan foods keeping their moisture intact as opposed to ovens and dehydrators.

sorry....I just kinda love cooking.

Tamarind & carrot polenta.
Sweet pea puree.
Ginger - soy pearls
877b0ea84454ebe52b4928e9d652867e.jpg

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wifes mushroom allergy is going to make this challenging. :confused:

Major suckage.

I have to admit... I LOVE tofu. The only thing that is saving this page from being slathered in tofu dishes is I can't source the lite stuff at the moment. I used up my supply in the freezer and now I can't find it ANYWHERE. I've even begged the company to find me some. LOL! I've liked it since I was a child and my mom would fry it up and put it on buttered toast for me.

It's a lot of work to balance a diet to get all your nutrients. I'm not one who thinks we were meant to be herbivores. I think we were meant to eat whatever our environment provided for us.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha...

molecular gastronomy (technology) is one of my strong points, I am very involved with many modern / Michelin chefs from around the world when they come to NYC to do an event, tasting, award etc. helping them out, I was also very involved with some classes regarding the subject. I wont name names on a public forum, but it is very fun, doing large scale events is a challenge in itself, but rewarding.

so, do you sous vide? You can make some great vegan foods keeping their moisture intact as opposed to ovens and dehydrators.

sorry....I just kinda love cooking.

Tamarind & carrot polenta.
Sweet pea puree.
Ginger - soy pearls
877b0ea84454ebe52b4928e9d652867e.jpg

That is SO gorgeous!!! The pearls are perfection!! I'm just starting, but it's amazing manipulating stuff like that. I have an order coming with more supplies and guess what else... a sous vide!! My friend said it was bloody awesome. I've also been using the food saver a lot to put away meat leftovers for hubby when he needs more on his plate or a different dish altogether. I figure the sous vide would be perfect to help me heat that stuff up without cooking it further.

Hubby said molecular gastronomy suited me perfectly as it appealed to my meticulous nature... I somehow don't think he meant that complimentarily.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major suckage.

I have to admit... I LOVE tofu. The only thing that is saving this page from being slathered in tofu dishes is I can't source the lite stuff at the moment. I used up my supply in the freezer and now I can't find it ANYWHERE. I've even begged the company to find me some. LOL! I've liked it since I was a child and my mom would fry it up and put it on buttered toast for me.

It's a lot of work to balance a diet to get all your nutrients. I'm not one who thinks we were meant to be herbivores. I think we were meant to eat whatever our environment provided for us.
I'm embarrassed to say I've never had tofu. I come from a long line of carnivores. I think my dad would have disowned anyone in the family that tried it! :p

I do love playing in the kitchen, but I am not at your guys level. I also love trying new things which is why I'm intrigued about trying to go vegan on Mondays. I know.. it won't save the planet. It will force me to get out of my comfort zone and try new things.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Paul and I are not on the same level either, but thanks for the compliment. When I find my cotton picking tofu, I will give ample warning of pending waves of tofu recipes. It's a lot harder to get all my protein without it.

We LOVE that people are doing Meatless Mondays.

Did you know that they've created meat in the lab? THAT sheet is interesting. It's a hard one to even wrap my head around.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...s-made-animal-cells-debuted-startup/99259988/

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Paul and I are not on the same level either, but thanks for the compliment. When I find my cotton picking tofu, I will give ample warning of pending waves of tofu recipes. It's a lot harder to get all my protein without it.

We LOVE that people are doing Meatless Mondays.

Did you know that they've created meat in the lab? THAT sheet is interesting. It's a hard one to even wrap my head around.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...s-made-animal-cells-debuted-startup/99259988/
I hadn't seen that one yet! I did see an article on the lab grown ground beef awhile ago.

I guess that is the future!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back