OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No big updates so far. Added some snails and blue leg hermit crab about 2 weeks ago. Snails have been doing a great job cleaning up the rock work. Although 3 of them have disappeared into the sand and I dont think they do anything. May eventually find them and replace them. I'm hoping to start getting fish soon but one personal possibly life changing event may slow that down some. Just found out my job is closing the doors. Ive been there 20 years and others have been there 40 so it's kinda a kick in the rear. No worries tho I'll pull through better then ever.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No big updates so far. Added some snails and blue leg hermit crab about 2 weeks ago. Snails have been doing a great job cleaning up the rock work. Although 3 of them have disappeared into the sand and I dont think they do anything. May eventually find them and replace them. I'm hoping to start getting fish soon but one personal possibly life changing event may slow that down some. Just found out my job is closing the doors. Ive been there 20 years and others have been there 40 so it's kinda a kick in the rear. No worries tho I'll pull through better then ever.
Nasarius or ceriths? They'll do that. They dona good job of keeping the sand stirred.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's what I was hoping for but sand looks like poo and havnt seen them since I put them in
Feeding will draw nasarius out, ceriths come in and out. Nasarius are technically carnivores I believe. They're going to help eat the leftovers and detritus.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife came home with this guy today

20220226_151058.jpg

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk whats causing it but my sand just keeps turning brown. I've been backing the whites off for the past few weeks. I'm about completely out of whites as it is. To much blue? Should I try a sand sifting star? Just looks ugly and would like to try and clear it up by this weekend. Have company coming over

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Idk whats causing it but my sand just keeps turning brown. I've been backing the whites off for the past few weeks. I'm about completely out of whites as it is. To much blue? Should I try a sand sifting star? Just looks ugly and would like to try and clear it up by this weekend. Have company coming over
Sand sifting stars tend to die in fish tanks. I'd consider a fighting conch and some nasarius snails. Ceriths will also help stir the sand during the day and clean the glass at night. Check your nutrient levels. Could be either bottomed out on nitrates or phosphates or it could be too high on phosphates.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will pick up some more snails today. Currently only have a total of 6 in there. Not sure what kind they gave me. 3 stay on the rocks doing a good job of keeping those clean. 3 I haven't seen since putting them in. Disappeared in the sand and dont seem to be moving it around

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the didnt have fighting conch or cerith snails. Just got 2 turbo since it was my only choice. Don't think they will touch the sand much tho. Don't they tend to stay on rock and glass

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well the didnt have fighting conch or cerith snails. Just got 2 turbo since it was my only choice. Don't think they will touch the sand much tho. Don't they tend to stay on rock and glass
Nope. Nasa, ceriths, and conches are your typical sand stirrers.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back