OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jerel hows your sump construction coming along?

Say, interesting you asked.. I'm working on it just about every night, like this evening. Lots of sanding of the edges to make a smooth surface and for bonding. I have my applicators and solvents on standby :)

iPhone 7 Plus

OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! You've done well to fit everything you want in a tight space.

Ha! Plenty of time was spent by starring at the sump area and cabinet. It's all coming together nicely as planned.

My scape should be interesting too! You know those dwarf moray eels need a good home.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Plenty of time was spent by starring at the sump area and cabinet. It's all coming together nicely as planned.

My scape should be interesting too! You know those dwarf moray eels need a good home.
Haha I've been doing the same, my missus keeps telling me staring at it won't get it done.. But I've got to visualize how everything's going to work and make sure I'll be happy with it!

Kool keen to see that. Will be a nice sight with a pair of those eels amongst the acros!

OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump has been completed ! I plan to visit Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture this Saturday to pickup 30 or so pounds of Real Reef rock and a few pounds of cultured live sand.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0499 2.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks slick!
Is that a gate valve with the handle removed on the drain line? Looks like it will be quite good for tuning.

Hey! I was debating on utilizing a Spears gate valve but I had a 1- 1/4 Georg Fischer ball valve(Removable handle) laying around. I wish Georg Fischer made a gate valve... My OCD won't allow me to have two different brands of valves Lol

By the way... Tank is being filled with rodi water as I type

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I was debating on utilizing a Spears gate valve but I had a 1- 1/4 Georg Fischer ball valve(Removable handle) laying around. I wish Georg Fischer made a gate valve... My OCD won't allow me to have two different brands of valves Lol

By the way... Tank is being filled with rodi water as I type
Haha the OCD battle, I feel that.
Being a GF ball valve it should be nice and smooth anyway.
On my to do list is to find a decent gate valve to replace the "quickfix" crappy ball valve I used.

Nice! Exciting times mate!

OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha the OCD battle, I feel that.
Being a GF ball valve it should be nice and smooth anyway.
On my to do list is to find a decent gate valve to replace the "quickfix" crappy ball valve I used.

Nice! Exciting times mate!

Indeed !

The GF valve is definitely smooth. I'm looking for a good deal on another GF diaphragm valve to replace the ball valve though.

Yours doesn't look bad, out of sight.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed !

The GF valve is definitely smooth. I'm looking for a good deal on another GF diaphragm valve to replace the ball valve though.

Indeed !

haha yea out of sight and out of mind at the moment, but the stiffness of the valve makes it terrible to use.
I've found a reasonably priced diaphragm valve that I'll grab at some point. Its no G.F but it'll do :D

Hope she doesn't take too long to fill with RO!

OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha yea out of sight and out of mind at the moment, but the stiffness of the valve makes it terrible to use.
I've found a reasonably priced diaphragm valve that I'll grab at some point. Its no G.F but it'll do :D

Hope she doesn't take too long to fill with RO!

I think you'll be happy with either diaphragm valve.

Ha! As of this evening... I have 36 pounds of "Live" Real Reef within the tank and 5x turnover between the sump :) My Tunze 1073.050 DC return pump is currently running at 35%(Higher will start moving the sand about) and i have plenty of current throughout the A.R.I.D. Reactor and GHL Measurement Cell.

Everything is working beautifully ;)

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be happy with either diaphragm valve.

Ha! As of this evening... I have 36 pounds of "Live" Real Reef within the tank and 5x turnover between the sump :) My Tunze 1073.050 DC return pump is currently running at 35%(Higher will start moving the sand about) and i have plenty of current throughout the A.R.I.D. Reactor and GHL Measurement Cell.

Everything is working beautifully ;)
Haha oh dang that snowballed quickly! :D Nice job! Its awesome when all the planning and prep pays off. Glad to hear everything is running beautifully, would be a good feeling! You could be adding stock before me! I'm still waiting on my MP40's to arrive :(

OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha oh dang that snowballed quickly! :D Nice job! Its awesome when all the planning and prep pays off. Glad to hear everything is running beautifully, would be a good feeling! You could be adding stock before me! I'm still waiting on my MP40's to arrive :(

You know it !? I just need to tune the system to position my optical sensors for ATO and AWC. There is enough room within my return chamber to exchange up to four(4) gallons without the return pump running dry.

Yesterday morning, had a five hour round trip to pickup 36 pounds of Real Reef and 1 pound of cultured live sand. The rock and sand where personally picked from the facilities grow out systems. I am truly impressed by the quality of this rock. It reminds me of the imported rocks that were collected from the reef before the ban... I have yet to actually start aquascaping, but i kind of like how i have arranged the rock so far. I saw amphipods and stomatella snails this morning !

You're just waiting for the MP40? I started configuring my MP40 today.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael I see you're lurking.. Were you able to attend Reefapalooza to checkout the Elos America booth?
Haha, guilty.

I saw them and the glass clarity was beautiful, but I broke down during BRS's Memorial Day sale a few weeks ago when RedSea Reefers were on sale. So I have a reefer 170 in the house. I talked with Vinny @ GHL, great guy, and I ordered a Mitras + Profilux this weekend. So I'm following your lead in that regard.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it !? I just need to tune the system to position my optical sensors for ATO and AWC. There is enough room within my return chamber to exchange up to four(4) gallons without the return pump running dry.

Yesterday morning, had a five hour round trip to pickup 36 pounds of Real Reef and 1 pound of cultured live sand. The rock and sand where personally picked from the facilities grow out systems. I am truly impressed by the quality of this rock. It reminds me of the imported rocks that were collected from the reef before the ban... I have yet to actually start aquascaping, but i kind of like how i have arranged the rock so far. I saw amphipods and stomatella snails this morning !

You're just waiting for the MP40? I started configuring my MP40 today.
Wow that's awesome! Not the 5 hours of driving lol but picking up from their holding tanks is rad! I used real reef rock to but even though it was dry you could see all the life it once had on it from all the feather duster tubes and such.
The colors, shapes and life make it look very "real" haha.
You've basically got live rock with only good hitchhikers!

Yea I ordered a custom Mp40 with a longer lead from pump to driver so it would reach my box on the left side of the cabinet.
It's just taking forever as the distributor here only orders monthly and I missed May's order. Tank conditions are going well though, the turbo snails have already layed eggs and the amphipods left with no predators are breeding like crazy.

How often do you plan to have the AWC operate?

OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, guilty.

I saw them and the glass clarity was beautiful, but I broke down during BRS's Memorial Day sale a few weeks ago when RedSea Reefers were on sale. So I have a reefer 170 in the house. I talked with Vinny @ GHL, great guy, and I ordered a Mitras + Profilux this weekend. So I'm following your lead in that regard.

Wise decision with the RedSea Reefer 170 purchase.

Vinny has been a welcoming person to the company ever since GHL America started :)

OP
OP
Jerel

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's awesome! Not the 5 hours of driving lol but picking up from their holding tanks is rad! I used real reef rock to but even though it was dry you could see all the life it once had on it from all the feather duster tubes and such.
The colors, shapes and life make it look very "real" haha.
You've basically got live rock with only good hitchhikers!

Yea I ordered a custom Mp40 with a longer lead from pump to driver so it would reach my box on the left side of the cabinet.
It's just taking forever as the distributor here only orders monthly and I missed May's order. Tank conditions are going well though, the turbo snails have already layed eggs and the amphipods left with no predators are breeding like crazy.

How often do you plan to have the AWC operate?

Same here with the feature duster tubes. There is something in one of my rocks launching poop missiles ever few hours hahaa

Didn't know that you already had inverts in your system, how long ago? I'm debating on ordering a Algae barns 5280 Pods combo pack to increase the population of different pods.

Regarding AWC, which will be a secondary source for nutrient control and i'll probably won't use it often. I'm going skimerless with this system but i'll have to see how the Pax Bellum A.R.I.D. Reactor does. Hopefully it'll be worth the investment.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here with the feature duster tubes. There is something in one of my rocks launching poop missiles ever few hours hahaa

Didn't know that you already had inverts in your system, how long ago? I'm debating on ordering a Algae barns 5280 Pods combo pack to increase the population of different pods.

Regarding AWC, which will be a secondary source for nutrient control and i'll probably won't use it often. I'm going skimerless with this system but i'll have to see how the Pax Bellum A.R.I.D. Reactor does. Hopefully it'll be worth the investment.
Haha poop missiles! That's funny as. I get that to! I think it's this guy: IMG_2584.JPG
Yea I think I forgot to mention that in my TJ. I basically started the cycle by adding a small peice of LR from the mini, which actually that feather duster came in on.
I also caught some amohipods and mysis from the mini and put them in to, give them a bit of a head start. So far the ampipods have gone crazy but haven't seen the mysis. There's heaps of copepods starting to populate the glass so they must have come from the rock I put in. About 2 weeks into the cycle I started putting in a couple turbo snails from the mini a day. There's about 15 in there now and have done their job beautifully, all the diatoms are basically gone. It's probably been a good thing I haven't started stocking yet as there's a nice population of critters building populations.

That Algae barns pods pack sounds good and can only be beneficial.

I think you'll be fine going skimmerless with the Arid. From the few journals I've read with people using them they have no worries of keeping nutrients low! :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back