Keenan's 40 Rimless

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thread on my local forum, but thought since I recently upgraded tanks that this would be a great time to start one on here as well. This build started out as a JBJ 24gallon in February of 2016. About a month ago I transferred everything over to the IM NUVO 40 rimless, and couldn't be happier with the tank.

To get people caught up, I'll post a summarized version of my past progress in following posts. But for now, here's the setup:

11/22/2018

Current Equipment:

IM Nuvo 40 Rimless
Radion XR30 Gen 3 non-pro
1 MP40QD
1Mp10QD
Apex Classic controller
Stock return pump
Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer
Fluval M200 Heater
AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro which brings in Kalkwasser (half strength, mainly for pH)
BRS dosing pump for Alk (Haven't had a need for calcium quite yet due to Tropic Marin Pro Reef's calcium levels along with weekly 5gal water changes)

Filtration:

A ton of Seachem Matrix to make up for the little LR I have in the tank
Mesh bag with brs carbon and Seachem Phosguard (media reactor won't fit, too much stuff in back)
Filter floss, changed ~twice a week

Livestock:
~7 trochus snails
Flame wrasse
Red-Lined wrasse
Black Onyx clown
Yellow-Tail Blue damsel
Tiger Conch

Corals:

Mixed reef

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Welcome to R2R! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks!

Very clean. Who made your lid? I can't even see it.

Thanks. And that's because the lid isn't on there for the pic ;) I will say though, the lid that comes with the fusion rimless aquariums is very nice and drops in flush with the tank (notice the clear level clips inside the tank just before the top).

Green5Delt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome looking 40 Im running the same tank but with a hydra 26hd. Love the flame wrasse, i have a female that is changing now (by fare my favorite wrasse).

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome looking 40 Im running the same tank but with a hydra 26hd. Love the flame wrasse, i have a female that is changing now (by fare my favorite wrasse).

Agree! It's one of my top 3 favorites for sure. And thank you, do you have a build thread by chance? Would love to see what you've done with your 40gal

Green5Delt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its under the All in one thread. My pictures aren't even close to as clear as yours.
e86af3ff337d7dffab4cd26e1e169926.jpg

Green5Delt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Im really digging the new life rock (branch) i like the tonga branch look myself.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so here was the initial aquascape back in Feb of last year. I used "Walt Smith's Reef Rock 2.1 Nano Rock" because I wanted to make sure the tank started out pest free (and hopefully would stay that way). I Liked the rock, although in my order there weren't any cool or unique pieces. I also just threw it all in there for the most part, as you can probably tell.

I used the stock lighting for a while, then upgraded to an AI prime, and then ultimately to a Radion XR15 gen3 pro. I moved twice during the year, and each time I would take it as an opportunity to make the scape better. Here it is after the first move. This pic is actually right before I moved it a second time, where I was taking sand out each water change to get the tank ready for an easier move. I didn't do this the first time and it was a nutrient explosion from the sand bed.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second moves scape. Basically how the 40 is now as well. Added the xr15 pro gen3 and took out a lot of the rock, and in turn aaadded more Seachem Matrix to the back.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, great scape. Minimalist scapes are hard to pull off in a 40 gallon ime.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, great scape. Minimalist scapes are hard to pull off in a 40 gallon ime.

Thanks. Yes, it's very difficult. especially when you overload what little rock you have with too many corals! But so far it hasn't gotten completely out of hand

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In late April I decided to pull the trigger on a IM Fusion 40 RL. For the stand, I wanted to make my own out of leftover bar stool legs I had laying around from a previous project. I ran out of Walnut and was too impatient to wait for more, so I ended up just going with mahogany for the top/skirt. Even with two different types of wood, I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now we're basically all caught up. Lately everything's been hitting it's stride. I think a combination of the added mp40 and protein skimmer to the mix has really brought out some of the best polyp extension to date. With little to no space left for new corals, I've reached the point where I just have to sit back and watch things (hopefully) grow. Especially my SPS.

Now that we're all caught up, time for some better pictures:

One of my favorites. My male Rhomboid sadly passed about a week ago, after having him for around 6 months. Shortly after transferring him to the new tank, he developed a bacterial infection around one of his gills (possibly Lymphocystis, which is usually not fatal). Shortly thereafter, even after giving him some privacy in the acclimation box, he passed.

Flame Wrasse

Blasto's from ASD

Pictures don't do these guys justice

Red-Lined Wrasse

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back