OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keenan - your tank is awesome. And your photography skillz are spectacular. Will you share your secret for taking such awesome aquarium photos (aside from talent) - what gear are you using?
Appreciate the kind words. No secret, just a lot of trial and error. One thing that helped a lot was to lower the light spectrum to 11-12k when taking pictures. This, along with shooting RAW allowed me to take better and higher quality pictures from the start, which meant less post-processing work later.

Gear: Canon 70D w/Canon EFS 60mm macro. I do sometimes use my Canon EFS 15-85mm as well.

Very clean tank!
Thank you!

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no bounce mushrooms (or any mushrooms for that matter) in my tank, so one of my acan's decided to take it upon itself and fill that void... I had no idea this happened throughout different species of coral.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was finally able to get behind the lens for a few photos and draft an update.

First the bad news: The second flame wrasse I ordered and later found flukes on ended up not making it. I believe it was due to a bacterial infection on its dorsal fin caused by the flukes. Can't be certain however. Will probably hold off on another jordani until the new tank.

Other updates: All other fish are doing great! After the newest additions I'm most certainly at max capacity for this tank, but parameters haven't gotten too out of whack and everyone's been on their best behavior (aside from one new troublemaker).

Addition #1 and the troublemaker himself: Male Vanuatu McCullochi Dottyback. After patiently waiting for some time, one popped up on LADD. The deep red coloring of this fish is remarkable and hard to accurately capture with my camera. He has a great personality as well, but already thinks he's king of the tank... Just a few fin nips so far but I'm keeping a close eye on him o_O

Addition #2: ORA® Captive-Bred Premium Black Knight Gladiator Clownfish. I know I ended up selling my old one, but a reef tank just doesn't look the same without a clownfish in it! I picked him up from LADD as well. What drew me to him was the "ying and yang" marking on his right side. So far he's played nice with the other fish. Kind of a spazz though...

Addition #3: Yasha Goby Pair with Pistol Shrimp. Another LADD purchase. They don't seem to be a bonded pair however as one is in the shrimps burrow while the other has not found/made a burrow yet and is always out in the open. Oh well. One of my favorite gobies so I'm happy to have finally gotten them.

Even with it's huge appetite, the Convict Tang hasn't gotten much bigger. Fine by me because it gives me more time before the upgrade! Great personality with this fish.

I've had the Pintail for a little over a year now I think. Lately he's been showing his nuptial colors a lot more frequently which has been very cool to witness. He's also put on some size in the recent few months. May need to cut down on the feedings ;)

The Rhomboid I purchased at the same time as the second Flame back in April. It's doing really well but I can tell it needs more space than my tank provides. If I can't find a house in the next few months (which would also mean new larger tank) I'll probably end up selling him. Definitely would like to hold onto him if possible though.

Coral update: Everything is doing really well, especially for it being summer, which always seems to take the biggest toll on my tank. Sps nubs are still growing... very.... slowly.

Current Problems: Bad Aptasia outbreak that I'm currently trying to battle with Aptasia X

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.
Great pictures.
Good luck

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saw your tank on the 365 thread and it is beautiful. The aquascape is a sculpture made alive by the corals you keep. Great job.

Appreciate the kind words, NY_Caveman. At this point I've just been patiently waiting for everything to grow out!

Will W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Tank! I have a IM 40 as well with a pintail. Was there alot of aggression between the two fairy wrasses?

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Tank! I have a IM 40 as well with a pintail. Was there alot of aggression between the two fairy wrasses?

When I had the flame in with the pintail there was a little aggression at first but shortly after they were both model citizens.

Will W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! When I added the pintail, he made his presence known for the first few days with my blue flasher but all is good now. I don't know if you have had the same experience but I feel that pintails are a more dominant type of Fairy Wrasse.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly enjoy this thread, your pictures and descriptions of your tank are just awesome and congratulations on being featured in R2R 365 definitely deserved:)

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly enjoy this thread, your pictures and descriptions of your tank are just awesome and congratulations on being featured in R2R 365 definitely deserved:)

I appreciate the kind words, and thanks for the heads up! I didn't have notifications on for some reason and would have never seen the R2R 365 if it wasn't for this comment!

With summer coming to a close, I will be trying to get behind the lens a lot more!

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank's been doing well. Not much to really report on, aside from the fact that things have been a little crowded in the 40 gallon. I'm also back down to just the pintail, clownfish, and dottyback. Possibly one Yasha goby/pistol shrimp. below are a couple of macro shots I took yesterday.

WWC Halle Berry

RRC OP

Angry ASD Rainbow Acan

SC Dynamite

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beutiful corals; would like a full tank picture. It's very inspiring.

Thank you! There's a local frag swap coming up so my tank is littered with frag racks/frags at the moment, but once they're gone I'll take a FTS.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great.
How is the growth so far?

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great.
How is the growth so far?

Thanks, Janci. The growth has been great, even a few of my sps nubs are finally starting to sprout branches. With my tank being as small as it is though, and with how many corals I've crammed into it, I was not smart about spacing frags out. Now that they're established and growing, I'm running into some coral warfare.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back