KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myreefrobbed me ....

1st

CALIBRATE all three pump heads...pump 1 saltwater from your tank ...pump 2 reagent into a cup and then dump back in so your not wasting it (different clean cup than saltwater) leaving the line from pump to reagent port full....pump 3 drain just use a cup of saltwater from your tank and and then back into a diff cup....

2nd

Go into GCC go to the KHD and go to that calculation screen under Maintenance and don't hit vent but push flush measurement cell and then when it's all done and it takes a few min ..... push empty measurement cell completely

3rd

Test Time......don't push vent just let it run the first test with the line full and even if you can see a small 1/16 air before that line goes into the reagent port just let it run one test....this will be like a Maintenance test. You may even get a message at the end of the test Error Titration Timed Out....second test should be on the money....

I set up one connected to P3 two days ago. Its works very well but do the calibrations carefully. I run 5 calibrations in a row for the sample pump and divided the result with 5. Did the same with the reagent pump.

Mrx post was very helpful - I did as he/she describe. The first measurement was of way but the second was on spot

Sincerely Lasse

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco, please post when all the pre-orders are filled do that I can place mine!
While we're not far off from completing the early bird pre-orders, however since we started shipping the orders have not stopped. All depending on the SKU you're looking for, it may be a couple of weeks or longer. We do fulfill reseller orders from the incoming stock, it's a moving target.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse and @MyReefRobbedMe thank you both for the instructions. Following the exact method you posted above made this quite a simple task.

Some take away:
1- Do not get to nervous when calibrating the PH probe. (I kept thinking something was wrong because it took so long)
2- Calibrate the Pumps a few times, I did mine 6 times divided by 6 to make sure I was on the money.
3- Do not forget to measure the length of your hose to your tank for the water sample.
4- Take your time :)

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little lost on how to 'vent' the tube for the reagent. The manual says use the manual buttons, so I'm guessing it just means run the reagent fluid through the tube so there's no more air. I've tried this twice, and the pressure has made the tube explode off the dosing pump spraying reagent everywhere. I even have cable ties securing the tubes.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 'vent internal reagent tube' button and it worked. I'm still lost as to why that happened though lol.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did:

I first calibrated my doser not connected to the KH at all.

I did this 6 times to make sure I had the calibration number spot on. This included drawing the water from my tank and not from a cup. Calibrating with the KH reagent fluid also. I pretty much set it up fully to test without the KH connected. Once the calibration was done I then connected output tubes to the KH enabled the KH and calibrated the PH probe.

Once the calibration of the PH probe was done I ran the vent tube into A bucket along with the waste water tube from pump 3.

I then did exactly what @MyReefRobbedMe and @Lasse said:

Go into GCC go to the KHD and go to that calculation screen under Maintenance and don't hit vent but push flush measurement cell and then when it's all done and it takes a few min ..... push empty measurement cell completely

Make sure your vent tube is not submerged either.

I have not had to vent mine. But I had to do two test, first one failed second one was spot on.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated everything prior as well. I just followed the steps in the manual, and it's working. I was just confused as to why the tubes blew off when I was trying to vent the reagent tube. I'm still not even sure what that means. I'm guessing it means to remove all airflow from the tubes?

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only oddity I'm seeing is the 'last measurement' time. It seems to be about 6 hours off from the time under the 'general' tab in GCC.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been pretty spot on so far!

KHD Director.jpg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine installed and running yesterday. Forgot to change dosing head numbers in the kh director section, accidentally dosed a little extra alk and calcium when I was trying to get the kh director working. Lol.

Anyways, happy so far. The kh director is reading very consistent, albeit lower than my hanna checker. My hanna reads 9.2 while my kh director reads 7.6. I usually run my tank at 8.5ish on my hanna, but the extra alk I dosed yesterday raised it up to around 9. I may recalibrate the dosing heads and see if that changes anything. I don't mind the tests reading different as long as it's consistent and my tank stays happy! I'll update after I recalibrate in the next couple days.

I also have an older red sea alk test. It says my alk is at 8.6, but the reagent is almost empty and a couple years old. I will probably order a salifert test as a triple check.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked with my Hanna and it read 7.3. the KHD also read 7.3. I know with the Hanna test reagents I usually get a .5 DKH variance with different bottles. 9.2 compared to 7.6 seems a big difference though.

littleruttiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked with my Hanna and it read 7.3. the KHD also read 7.3. I know with the Hanna test reagents I usually get a .5 DKH variance with different bottles. 9.2 compared to 7.6 seems a big difference though.

You might try mixing up some fresh salt water, and test that - if you know what it should mix to it could give a baseline.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 3 different hanna reagent bottles and lots. One read 9.1, the other 2 read 9.2. I've had that issue before with hanna reagents a lot in the past. Seems like they've been better here the past 6 months or so.

I'm guessing it has to do with calibration. Did you all float your ph solutions in the sump? Also, my input line from tankwater is 8.5 feet long. I can make it about 3 feet shorter, but then I will be pulling from the same section as where I dose. I could do that and just make sure I don't pull the sample at the same time as when I dose.

I will do some tinkering and get it sorted.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it's not because I use sodium hydroxide to make my alkalinity solution, instead of sodium bicarbonate. It has a higher ph effect, but wouldn't think that would mess up the test once mixed in the tank?

Back