KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't you want a vent hole in that lid otherwise things can get ugly quick?

I don't have one either. Just a 1/4 inch hole and 1/4 inch tubing. So far haven't had any problems, but like Scuzy, I assume air can regulate around the tubing. I haven't had any issues with it yet.

I'm probabiy gonna use the oxo container too, as long as light doesn't affect the reagent. @Marco@GHLUSA Do you know if light can affect the kh reagent?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must always have a vent hole in a container that you pump liquids out of. Containers can suck inwards if there is not one. I have seen stainless steel tanks cave in when their vent tubes are clogged.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must always have a vent hole in a container that you pump liquids out of. Containers can suck inwards if there is not one. I have seen stainless steel tanks cave in when their vent tubes are clogged.

My hole i drilled is slightly bigger than the tubing so the tubbing is kinda tight but there are gaps.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one either. Just a 1/4 inch hole and 1/4 inch tubing. So far haven't had any problems, but like Scuzy, I assume air can regulate around the tubing. I haven't had any issues with it yet.

I'm probabiy gonna use the oxo container too, as long as light doesn't affect the reagent. @Marco@GHLUSA Do you know if light can affect the kh reagent?

Reagent is NOT light sensitive.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get really frustrated now, I have posted several times in the months I’ve had my KHD, about Inconsistant readings, bubbles, waste pipe, pilot error etc, I can never get more than a week of consistant readings before i get bad readings, my last one rock steady at 7.4 for several days then drops to 6.4dkh, how can I trust it to automate dosing when I’m getting this happen? This is not my tank consuming this Alk it just doesn’t happen that quickly, strange thing is I’ve checked back and the bad readings are always downwards and usually about 1dkh, any answers chaps?

Mine all of a sudden today sent me a high reading. For over a week it's been right at or very close to 8 dkh. Today I have an alarm going off and the kh reading was 8.7 dkh. I did 2 subsequent tests that read 8.5 and 8.6. Kinda strange after being so consistent for so long. I'm doing 6x per day 80ml tests. I wonder if I need to recalibrate the probe already?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all of a sudden today sent me a high reading. For over a week it's been right at or very close to 8 dkh. Today I have an alarm going off and the kh reading was 8.7 dkh. I did 2 subsequent tests that read 8.5 and 8.6. Kinda strange after being so consistent for so long. I'm doing 6x per day 80ml tests. I wonder if I need to recalibrate the probe already?
I’ve recalibrated mine twice and the dosing pumps twice, but didn’t seem to make any difference as the accuracy doesn’t seem to be in question on an individual reading for me, it is these inexplicable rogue readings that seem to happen weekly ish. As soon as I get an alarm I run 3-4 back to back tests and then it always goes back to reading accurately, then the same happens a week or so later... very strange, and I’m using way more reagent than I really should be, if it is a reagent issue then we need to know more. Hopefully the glass OXO jar as another poster recommended I have ordered will help.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the oxo jar too, showed up today actually. Made a cupholder for it and will hopefully get it installed tonight or tomorrow...
20180319_180012-1024x1820.jpg

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recalibrated mine twice and the dosing pumps twice, but didn’t seem to make any difference as the accuracy doesn’t seem to be in question on an individual reading for me, it is these inexplicable rogue readings that seem to happen weekly ish. As soon as I get an alarm I run 3-4 back to back tests and then it always goes back to reading accurately, then the same happens a week or so later... very strange, and I’m using way more reagent than I really should be, if it is a reagent issue then we need to know more. Hopefully, the glass OXO jar as another poster recommended I have ordered will help.

I just got in the glass jar that I'm using. I also received some new reagent, so I'm giving it a go. My theory on the random high readings is that the bubbles build up over time and cause it to go wonky once they've reached the threshold. It's the only thing that makes sense to me, as less reagent = higher reading. Mine will read accurately for a few days and then jump up over 1 dkh. Once if flush the tube and re-run it measures back in-line with the normal readings.

I'll give this glass jar and new reagent a go and post an update.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got in the glass jar that I'm using. I also received some new reagent, so I'm giving it a go. My theory on the random high readings is that the bubbles build up over time and cause it to go wonky once they've reached the threshold. It's the only thing that makes sense to me, as less reagent = higher reading. Mine will read accurately for a few days and then jump up over 1 dkh. Once if flush the tube and re-run it measures back in-line with the normal readings.

I'll give this glass jar and new reagent a go and post an update.
The bubbles issue confuses me, as when my readings go bad they always go low by about 1dkh, yet others seem to go high, like you, have the exact opposite of what happens to me. Any ideas Marco and Matthias?

Dive Dive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this. Mine has been reading consistently for 3 weeks and controlling it at 8dKH. yesterday, I got an error of "tritration taking too long". Resampled and came out at 6.6dkH. I have been sampling once per day. I have not seen the bubble buildup issue with my setup. I am using the rubbermaid (600ml) container you can get at walmart or target which has a lid with a pour hole. My tubing goes through it and no other vent hole.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass jar and new reagent aren't working out so far. I had a few good readings (because I vented the tube and flushed the reagent after switching). I had 3 steady measurements of 7.5-7.6 dkh (on par with hanna checker verified with 3 different reagent bottles) and then the measurement shot up to 9.2 dkh. There are 3 air gaps in the tube. One large, one medium, and one small. If I hold the jar up to the light I can see the tiny air bubbles in the liquid. It's definitely aerated. I believe the dosing pump is bursting the small bubbles (someone else's original theory) and causing these air gaps within the tube. How's everyone else fairing?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just scene this on the GHL forum, I’ll give it a try, It’s a pity we have to keep digging around to find solutions to a problem with little help from the manufacturer!!!
C3CB96D1-282F-43D0-BDF0-6FC73FD6DF9E.png

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I may be misunderstanding but is the person trying to say that the silicon tubing supplied is too permeable and is pulling air through the silicon wall?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just scene this on the GHL forum, I’ll give it a try, It’s a pity we have to keep digging around to find solutions to a problem with little help from the manufacturer!!!
Mortie - I understand that you may be frustrated, but your comments are a bit off base.
There are a few avenues we are investigating- however it makes no sense to blast out a “solution” that isn’t proven. Sometimes 1 or 2 success stories do not equate to a solution. Obviously we did not have this issue during our testing and not everybody has this issue.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never developed the bubble issue with my unit. Then again I kept the reagent bottle no more than 4 inches away from the unit. I had a straight vertical pipe up from the bottle that was situated just below the dosing pumps with the Director sitting on top of the dosing pump.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mortie - I understand that you may be frustrated, but your comments are a bit off base.
There are a few avenues we are investigating- however it makes no sense to blast out a “solution” that isn’t proven. Sometimes 1 or 2 success stories do not equate to a solution. Obviously we did not have this issue during our testing and not everybody has this issue.
Hello Marco, I don’t think my comments are off base, there are lots of KHD users trying hard to find a solution and experimenting at there cost and sharing there findings with various forum members. Yes I am frustrated at GHL’s lack of communication, Matthias has suggested heating the bottles, but nothing else yet and I’m sure your all working hard on a solution. I post lots of positive things about your products, but I’m not afraid of posting negatives when I come across them, all affected want a solution to this as soon as possible as it’s not delivering as intended or hoped for yet.

Back