OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so worried. I would cry if the poor green algae would jus go from one day to another without saying goodbye ;)
I knew you'd be worried -- I'm so glad I could reassure you. ;)

james has movement on his lights, how about you @kittenbritches
Nada. It's been camped out In Hong Kong since the 14th.

In other news, I am still in the friggin doom spiral of DOA LiveAquaria credits. I didn't even get a shipping notification from them this time, but FedEx pounded down the door like they were the Gestapo, and I received this belly-up royal gramma basslet that was shipped in some weird, blue water. I've already submitted yet another claim, but I got the fish out of that blue water and it's actually right-side up now! It is swimming in jerking motions, and I really don't think it will live through the night, but I'm amazed that it's not dead, and pi$$ed that it was shipped that way.

Royal Gramma DOA - Shipped in Blue Water 2.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I knew you'd be worried -- I'm so glad I could reassure you. ;)

Nada. It's been camped out In Hong Kong since the 14th.

In other news, I am still in the friggin doom spiral of DOA LiveAquaria credits. I didn't even get a shipping notification from them this time, but FedEx pounded down the door like they were the Gestapo, and I received this belly-up royal gramma basslet that was shipped in some weird, blue water. I've already submitted yet another claim, but I got the fish out of that blue water and it's actually right-side up now! It is swimming in jerking motions, and I really don't think it will live through the night, but I'm amazed that it's not dead, and pi$$ed that it was shipped that way.

Royal Gramma DOA - Shipped in Blue Water 2.jpg
Gamma actually swim upside down. If he survives, you'll find you have a oddly beautiful fish. Mine never did eat.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gamma actually swim upside down. If he survives, you'll find you have a oddly beautiful fish. Mine never did eat.
I'll have to take a video when I get back home. It's like a lagging video game.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gestapo hah? You are too young to experience that. although some delivery guy thinks that if they don’t sit on the bell for at least 30 seconds with occasional stop they will be prosecuted. They even do that while they can clearly see you coming. :D

How is your “lagging video game” doing?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gestapo hah? You are too young to experience that. although some delivery guy thinks that if they don’t sit on the bell for at least 30 seconds with occasional stop they will be prosecuted. They even do that while they can clearly see you coming. :D

How is your “lagging video game” doing?
I'm as old as the earth, actually. ;Oldman

I haven't made it out of bed just yet, but if he lives, I'm going to name him Glitch. Haha

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is tinted blue because it contains a sedative for long travels. It helps to slow their resting rate and activity. Hopefully the Gramma pulls through.
That is so strange. I've purchased quite a few fish from them and have never received one in this state before. It was overnighted from CA, so it was a quick trip. I wouldn't think he'd need to be sedated. I do hope he makes it, but I'm nervous about him.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, fish take about 2 weeks to acclimate. If they survive 2 weeks you are usually good. My wrasse will only eat mysis right now and my cbb gives me this look "Why this garbage?" So I have 15 foods in my water to feed 1 fish! That sounds about right, right?

I am sorry, I do hope you have his foods on hand. His behavior reminds me of my flasher wrasse.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a trip from CA would not warrant a sedative. The only other thing that I can think of would be Methylene Blue. Could be using it as a preventative measure for disease and it is also a Hemoglobin transfer solution which helps O2 transfer in small spaces.

Past that I am out. Haha

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gods must be punishing me.

As soon as I walked downstairs this morning, it hit me -- the stench. This smell will haunt my dreams forever. :(

I tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and my ammonia level is 1ppm. What in the actual fork? Everything was finally stable and now it's worse than ever. Nitrate is 20ppm, so at least some conversion is happening, but nitrite is at 0.5ppm, so it's obviously not converting quickly enough.

I dosed more AmGuard and Fritz9, and am running RODI right now. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to yank the fish and put them in my 40B for a while while I get things stabilized, or just keep dosing and do a big water change to remove at least some of the ammonia.

I don't know why nothing has died yet.

pigeon gif.gif

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

As soon as I walked downstairs this morning, it hit me -- the stench. This smell will haunt my dreams forever. :(

I tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and my ammonia level is 1ppm. What in the actual fork? Everything was finally stable and now it's worse than ever. Nitrate is 20ppm, so at least some conversion is happening, but nitrite is at 0.5ppm, so it's obviously not converting quickly enough.

I dosed more AmGuard and Fritz9, and am running RODI right now. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to yank the fish and put them in my 40B for a while while I get things stabilized, or just keep dosing and do a big water change to remove at least some of the ammonia.

pigeon gif.gif
Do you know anyone with real live rock cycled? LFS , friend? Get a few lbs if you can. It will help.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know anyone with real live rock cycled? LFS , friend? Get a few lbs if you can. It will help.
There are a couple of LFS in my county with super weird hours, but I'll put some feelers out.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is tinted blue because it contains a sedative for long travels. It helps to slow their resting rate and activity. Hopefully the Gramma pulls through.
Ok I change my statement I don’t want to guess your age. ;) You have attended your history lessons or have a family member who has memories.

pigeon gif.gif
That tank is still new but depending on your test kit you may not have ammonia that high or at least not all of that is toxic.
put an air stone in your tank for now that helps a bit too just make sure it is away from the wave makers otherwise you will have loads CV of bubbles going around.
you will have a few small swings in the beginning.
Don’t put any more fish in for two weeks.
ah and the corals also consume some ammonia so you can put some of that in there too.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, fish take about 2 weeks to acclimate. If they survive 2 weeks you are usually good. My wrasse will only eat mysis right now and my cbb gives me this look "Why this garbage?" So I have 15 foods in my water to feed 1 fish! That sounds about right, right?

I am sorry, I do hope you have his foods on hand. His behavior reminds me of my flasher wrasse.
Going through similar situation with my Cbb and powder brown but I just give them what they eat as the tank is new to fish and I don’t want to shoot ammonia through the roof
I’m also slowly doing a hypo so I remove 5 gallons of salt water and add five fresh daily.
Presently at 2.017 and dropping.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep this product around for both cycling new tanks as well as issues you're describing. Everyone has their own "go to" recipe so to speak but this has worked for me as well as a bunch of local refers I've helped.

Prodibio Startup which is very hard to find now in this country:

Back