Leaking Eclipse overflow

Blukraken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I have an Eclipse L Overflow and the order I have it is weir > screw > gasket on inner glass > gasket on external glass > overflow and nut. The issue I'm having is the external overflow has no leaks and the nuts as tight as my fingers can make them plus a quarter inch turn. However, there are two slow drip leaks on the inside glass.

Do these matter if the tank is full if there are no leaks externally? Will it becomes an external leak? I don't want to get the nuts tighter in fear of cracking the glass.
20220912_094747.jpg

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A leak on the inside leads me to think the bulkhead is cracked. It could definitely cause issues. Are you able to take it apart and inspect it?

OP
OP
Blukraken

Blukraken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I should be able to take it apart. When you mean the bulkhead are you talking the bolt that goes through the glass? Or the hole in the glass itself? It'd be strange to me that both bulkheads are cracked. Both leaks are from separate bulkheads.

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the threaded part. It should be a solid piece. If it looks fine you should be able to tighten it a bit more without much risk as you have gaskets on both sides.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we have seen from many posts is that "hand tight plus a 1/4 turn" is different for everyone.
Usually tightening a bit more will fix a leak.

OP
OP
Blukraken

Blukraken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I ended up doing is taking apart the overflow and flipping the gaskets around. For some reason the gaskets that came with this overflow have 2 bumpy rings on one side and the other is completely flat. Flipping the gaskets so that the flat side is against the glass and then hand tightening again has fixed the issue. For some reason it never crossed my mind they would make a gasket like that but w/e. It's also possible that initially the gaskets were off center of the glass cutouts which caused a tiny leak.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back