Lets Discuss Ethics in the Hobby

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail lives matter! Crabs too!! Not sure about aptaisia!
E494D690-BAAA-453A-AB14-5C7C83C13521.jpeg

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find most disturbing is that the opinions of people that think animals are like the characters in Walt Disney movies are taken seriously.
I keep my methods to myself anymore. I am not interested in being critiqued by people educated with dogma and emotion instead of science and experience.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find most disturbing is that the opinions of people that think animals are like the characters in Walt Disney movies are taken seriously.
I keep my methods to myself anymore. I am not interested in being critiqued by people educated with dogma and emotion instead of science and experience.
Agreed, The personification of animals is bad.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon thinking about it my ethics pertaining to this hobby are the same ones I operate under every day in everything. I don't have special ones for just doing this.
Do no harm is pretty high up there. So is, Yes sometimes you have to.
People that demand absolutes are probably too simple minded to discuss things with.

jasoniames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, due to a previous thread and the last comment by a Mod, what is considered ethical?

Is killing a hermit by stomping on it ethical? If no, then why is injecting vinegar into an aiptasia OK? If yes, then why all the uproar?

You see where I am going here. But let expand a little.

By injecting the nem with vinegar, you are burning it. Yet stepping on a hermit to kill it quickly is not OK?

At least it is quick and you are not injecting the crab with vinegar.

Then we get into nuking tanks for baddies. Think about how much stuff dies when you reset a tank and dry a rock out. Is that OK.

Does "ethical" only apply to fish and crabs? Would it not apply to all "living things"?

Buy the way, lets keep this PC and "Be Nice".
Just stumbled upon your thread , and I know I'll probably be label to troll but I have to say the whole premise of the question is to someone not in the hobby sort of laughable you're taking the freedom of living things away for your own enjoyment the very basis of your hobby is unethical in every way possible you're catching things that have a capability of ranging over I'm sure 20 30 ft worth of reef and then placing them in a 3-ft x 2 ft box or whatever the case may be it's like taking a human being and placing them in a three bedroom house and saying they got plenty of room but that's the only place in their whole entire life they get to go it's laughable that you would ask an ethics question just saying

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled upon your thread , and I know I'll probably be label to troll but I have to say the whole premise of the question is to someone not in the hobby sort of laughable you're taking the freedom of living things away for your own enjoyment the very basis of your hobby is unethical in every way possible you're catching things that have a capability of ranging over I'm sure 20 30 ft worth of reef and then placing them in a 3-ft x 2 ft box or whatever the case may be it's like taking a human being and placing them in a three bedroom house and saying they got plenty of room but that's the only place in their whole entire life they get to go it's laughable that you would ask an ethics question just saying
Yes, we all know this but the purpose was to get more granular.

Either way, waste of my time I guess. Got a few people that chimed in and a lot of stuff like this post.

What I learned

Fish in a glass box all need to be set free, don’t stomp crabs and keep opinions to self. Got it. Now to close the forum down as it consists of opinions all based on ethics.

Btw. Copper is bad for fish and unethical. Let’s poison them to treat them…..

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot this.

I am very laughable. If you saw me, you would cry laughing so hard.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back