OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - there is a “line in the sand” for animal ethics. Everyone has one, even PETA. Most people abhor kicking a dog, but have no concern killing billions of bacteria every time they flush their toilet. The issue is - where is your line and is it defensible? I’ve taught an aquarium ethics class at a couple of universities, but have not been able to refine where that line should be. As mentioned, people frag and kill CITES corals - is that past the line? My garbage can says no. The best that I can come up with is if you lose animals due to poor husbandry or laziness, you’ve crossed the line.

Jay
This right here is what I am looking for.

For me, I fell aiptasia should not be killed. It serves a purpose, as much as others do not want to admit it. It is a heck of a water filter. But others want to nuke it and that is OK to them.

Yet, I do not go on a rampage about it.

While I get that is not the same as euthanizing a hermit because you are tearing a tank down, but that may be the only option for that person. Yet they get railed for asking about it.

Same goes for "bad crabs" how many times have you seen someone say skewer it or kill it with fire, but no one getting railed. I guess it being a "baddy" is why.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not getting sucked into this one too!
Fell free, but keep it "Nice". I am seriously wanting to see what other consider ethical and not ethical.

This is a discussion that needs to be had on here.

Threads get closed due to being "not ethical", but what is ethical has yet to be determined.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef to Reef is world wide. Ethical positions can vary greatly depending on individuals and cultures. Since the probably of an ethical norm couldn’t be a world wide norm, we have to leave it up to the individual to determine his/her level of ethics and stick to it. When you are conversing on the forum, and something may be questionable to others, maybe just keep your pie hole shut and don’t talk about it. You will never get a consensus.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef to Reef is world wide. Ethical positions can vary greatly depending on individuals and cultures. Since the probably of an ethical norm couldn’t be a world wide norm, we have to leave it up to the individual to determine his/her level of ethics and stick to it. When you are conversing on the forum, and something may be questionable to others, maybe just keep your pie hole shut and don’t talk about it. You will never get a consensus.
We still need to determine some form of ethics that traverse the globe. That is the point of this.

I want a definition to point to.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was nothing on the other thread that I deemed as unethical. I suspect it will be unlocked at some point. Although there were some jokes made I don’t feel like anyone on the thread was being rude to another member.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I wasn't trying to degrade the op in the other post or teach them ethics based off my morals. Only a comment as I saw it as an animal who was gonna be murdered. Lol.
D
I do not think you were either. The point of this thread is try and see what others consider ethical and not ethical. Not to argue about others or just say "ethics" are different for everyone. I know they are, but would love to see everyone line out what is and what is not ethical to them.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We still need to determine some form of ethics that traverse the globe. That is the point of this.

In relation to this forum it is only the opinion of the mods that will matter.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its kind of a "know it when I see it" sort of situation. Of course that makes it entirely subjective to me and other people certainly have different standards. For me though mostly it is based on what I believe can feel pain. People much smarter than me still argue over what "pain" actually is and which animals feel it, but I lean to believing it requires a much more advanced nervous system than coral, bacteria, etc has. While most animals have a natural response to negative stimuli that is not really pain in all likelihood.

So I don't feel bad killing coral, bacteria. Aiptasia, etc if it is for a purpose. Things like crabs are much closer to the line and personally I try not to kill even the bad ones. I find a sump or fowlr or somewhere to out them.

Having said that I also believe it can be ethical to eliminate even some things that may feel pain if it is for "the greater good"(in this case the health of other tank organisms). If I see a Raccoon in my backyard I won't shoot it for fun as I find that unethical. If the raccoon is getting in the chicken coop slaughtering my chickens then I shoot it. (In reality I always try live trapping and relocating but when that does not work I take more extreme measures). I see dealing with many reef pests in the same light.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the hundreds of threads on R2R with people recomending "increase your CUC"? Only to have them die because of poor conditions within the tank. I can't even begin to imagine the thousands upon thousands of inverts pointlessly killed by people who don't know what their talking about, Not to mention the peddlers within the industry (reefcleaners), looking to make a buck. So sad, thiss could easily be avoided if people would get off their lazy butts and do some manuaal labor. I guess the line "I uped my CUC" just sounds sexier.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That will never happen, imo. All you can do here is ask the mods and admin.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In relation to this forum it is only the opinion of the mods that will matter.
I get that, so maybe they should chime in and let us know their ethics instead of just a broad statement in the TOS.

I will line some out for myself.

Killing crabs as they are considered "bad" - Not ethical to me.
Killing aips as they are considered "bad" - Not ethical to me.
Using fish or other critters to control the above - Ethical to me.
Taking an out of the blue mean fish and euthanizing it - Ethical to me
Fragging Corals - Ethical to me
Cutting anemones to make more - Not ethical to me
Recycling corals to feed my general stars and then put them into my CaRX to be reused by the tank - ethical to me
Throwing corals in the trash - Toss up, as I can easily see both sides.
Killing flatworms with chemicals - not ethical to me.

While arguments could be made for and against the above, these are my views and only my views.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the hundreds of threads on R2R with people recomending "increase your CUC"? Only to have them die because of poor conditions within the tank. I can't even begin to imagine the thousands upon thousands of inverts pointlessly killed by people who don't know what their talking about, Not to mention the peddlers within the industry (reefcleaners), looking to make a buck. So sad, thiss could easily be avoided if people would get off their lazy butts and do some manuaal labor. I guess the line "I uped my CUC" just sounds sexier.
With your point taken, there is more than one way to reef. Your experience isn't the same as everyone's.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not intelligent enough to provide much input. I would have failed the test even tho I can provide for a child I would not be allowed to have any. I think its more a matter of opinion on what is ethical. To me its pretty much like politics and religion. Its all based on beliefs and opinions with little or no facts involved. There really isn't a right or wrong on this subject. Its just what you believe is right or wrong. Sure the obvious guy beating his dog is unethical but maybe to him it isn't? It pretty much boils down to how you were raised I think, or your experiences later in life that form your opinions on right and wrong. My mother in law once said "you believe what you want to believe and I'll believe what I want to believe". I couldn't argue with that statement even tho I know I was right :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back