This my male my female is camera shy

FC6FDFDC-0A6B-4B8F-9AF8-427574E697EF.jpeg

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0691.JPG
I’m sooooo jealous. We had a very mature 500g reef a number of years ago. I bought a mandarin but it didn’t live long. A year later I tried again. The second one died too. Since then I’ve been scared to try another. This was 15-16 years ago and collection methods are probably better, but the thought of killing another gorgeous fish makes me sad.

Are the captive bred ones hardier and easier to feed? I’d love to get one. It would have to accept frozen mysis or something because I have a six line that is a hunting machine. Any opinions?

This is one of the two biota captive bred mandarins I bought in early April. They were so small at first, less than a inch. They have grown a lot .They eat a variety of food but their favorite is newly hatched bbs.
Their bellies become so full. They sleep next to each other in the acclimation box.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to get mine! Where is the best place to get them? Think I could QT with 3 anthias (40 gallon QT). Was looking at a captive bred from Algae Barn but they are always out.
Sign up the get an email when they’re back in stock. They restock them quite often. Maybe once a month or more.

Also, a LFS an hour from me carries biota captive bred mandarins, do call all the LFS in your area and see if they do or if they can special order you one.

Captive bred is the way to go. Worth the extra wait and effort. Good luck!

Stella1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness... this might be my favorite forum thread of all time. @Stella1979

Here is mine back when I had her. I only had her for a short period. Long story, but I couldn't get her to pack on weight, so I did the right thing and asked the LFS to take her back.
IMG_6984.jpg

I am prepping my 60G for another though :D
OMG... YES!!! Best thread ever! :D Someday...

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater fish ever. He was alone in a 40 gallons.
He was eating frozen and pellets + pods QUOTE]

Wow.... beautiful and crisp photos of your mandarin. totally in love.
Did you do anything with the pod population in the tank? i.e. phyto dosing, adding more pods.. etc...

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I just seeded the tank before adding the fish and let it run 6 months before introducing the mandarin. I added pods every 6 months and always had plenty of copepods in this tank.
I started to train him as fast as possible to eat all kind of food.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep should your sandbed be to keep a Mandarin happy?

Not the start to a joke, genuinely curious as a newbie.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in my bare bottom seahorse tank. However, he eats frozen foods, and pellets. Almost anything I put in for him.
That's awesome.

I am in the process of planning my first tank and I really want a Mandarin. I'm just super nervous about maintaining a population of pods to keep him fed.

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sooooo jealous. We had a very mature 500g reef a number of years ago. I bought a mandarin but it didn’t live long. A year later I tried again. The second one died too. Since then I’ve been scared to try another. This was 15-16 years ago and collection methods are probably better, but the thought of killing another gorgeous fish makes me sad.

Are the captive bred ones hardier and easier to feed? I’d love to get one. It would have to accept frozen mysis or something because I have a six line that is a hunting machine. Any opinions?

Six line isn't a good mandarim companion, for sure....
It's often aggressive and will compete for food...

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to get mine! Where is the best place to get them? Think I could QT with 3 anthias (40 gallon QT). Was looking at a captive bred from Algae Barn but they are always out.
Keep checking Live Aquaria. They have the Ora captive bred ones quite often. That is where I got mine. He is doing great but really small. Less than an inch but adorable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back