Light times MH

Brycnz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so just brought some Metal Halide lights it has 3 150w bulbs and 6 pl-24w blue lights what’s the best time to have the blues on and the white on?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep my halides on for 8-10 hours a day when halides were the main lights of the tank, supplemental t5s were on for 2-4 hours longer split before and after.

OP
OP
B

Brycnz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get much algae growth with MH on for so long I always thought only on for 5 hours and blue on all day ?

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine 8 hours mh and 1 hour before and after t5s.. man I miss those lights, I had 3 250w on top of a 300g , what I dont miss was my power bill, its was stupid expensive, but corals grew like crazy, and my spectrum was 20k

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7-10 hour of MH and then use the T5s for your viewing pleasure - if you are not around the tank before or after the MH, then just don't run them unless you need them. You don't have to run the T5s at all to get good results in the tank.

150w Halide is a good light and can run a typical mixed reef all by themselves. They also do not use a lot of power and are equivalent to what most people run a Hydra 52 or xr30 at. Most people would probably really love them if they ever used them.

14k Phoenix is the best bulb for 150w DE, IMO. They are both cheap, powerful and good looking - a rare trifecta in this hobby.

You are going to find that most of what people say about MH is not true at all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back