Lighting!

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on planning my 60 gal cube seahorse tank =D..anyways what do y'all think about a single Kessil 360 for the lighting? Tank will mostly have Macro's maybe a few zoo cuz I'm a sucker for the colorful little guys. Do you think the light will be good for them and not too intense?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on planning my 60 gal cube seahorse tank =D..anyways what do y'all think about a single Kessil 360 for the lighting? Tank will mostly have Macro's maybe a few zoo cuz I'm a sucker for the colorful little guys. Do you think the light will be good for them and not too intense?
I think you'll really like the shimmer, color blending, and contrast the kessils offer. And they're able to be adjusted for intensity from dim to super bright so you should be able to find an intensity that works well for you :)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Terra,
Seahorses can actually adapt to most any light. Mine had been under T5s for years and were fine.

A 60 cube is a great tank for them. My biggest caution would be don't over stock and be diligent about WCs and husbandry. Treating sick ponies is not fun. I just finished having 2 of mine in treatment and it is rigorous.

Be fanatical about not letting seahorses poop or excess food collect any where as that fuels bad bacteria. Also an over sized skimmer (2X- 3Xs recommended with 3Xs being better) can help a lot. I like my SCA-302. For the price it does a good job for a tank your size.

Finally watch the temperature. Keep it under 75°F. Good luck with your seahorses. Where are you getting them? Seahorses Source has high health seahorses at a good price and nobody gives better customer service.

OP
OP
TerraCaelus

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Terra,
Seahorses can actually adapt to most any light. Mine had been under T5s for years and were fine.

A 60 cube is a great tank for them. My biggest caution would be don't over stock and be diligent about WCs and husbandry. Treating sick ponies is not fun. I just finished having 2 of mine in treatment and it is rigorous.

Be fanatical about not letting seahorses poop or excess food collect any where as that fuels bad bacteria. Also an over sized skimmer (2X- 3Xs recommended with 3Xs being better) can help a lot. I like my SCA-302. For the price it does a good job for a tank your size.

Finally watch the temperature. Keep it under 75°F. Good luck with your seahorses. Where are you getting them? Seahorses Source has high health seahorses at a good price and nobody gives better customer service.

I have not decided where I’m going to get them from yet as that’s a few months away still, seahorse source is def on my list, right now my stocking plans are a shrimp/goby pair, and an Erectus pair. Going to start with the font shrimp to help get tank going and stabilized. May add a second Erectus pair in the future but that won’t be anytime soon.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back