Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Hey. Was waiting for the update from the guy who bought him.
So...he turned right side up! That night. But he still isn’t eating. He transferred to the new tank Thursday night.
he’s been moving spots in the tank but just hanging out (which isn’t uncommon for him to just chill most of the day).

any suggestions? He put a piece of silverside right in front of him and he completely ignored it.
video attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2144.mov
    3.1 MB

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange, he doesnt seem happy though. Its not a panick if he skips eating for a few days. Did he try and and stick feed him by teasing the food around, most lions will rarely eat off the ground. Did you treat him with any meds at all, any move will cause stress and bring out any underlying issues.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange, he doesnt seem happy though. Its not a panick if he skips eating for a few days. Did he try and and stick feed him by teasing the food around, most lions will rarely eat off the ground. Did you treat him with any meds at all, any move will cause stress and bring out any underlying issues.
No issues. He was quarantined before going into my tank and treated for internal parasites and with copper - has been in the main tank for almost a year. I QT all fish and corals before anything goes into the main tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was getting at, copper is a bad deal for lions. Most don't make it much more than a year or so after copper treatment.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was getting at, copper is a bad deal for lions. Most don't make it much more than a year or so after copper treatment.

just went back and looked at records. He didn’t get treated with copper. I had him with a puffer - so I didn’t Cooper them at all. I did observation for 60 days and treated only for parasites.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he'll pull through, keep us posted and let us know if you figure something out. I keep track of all things lion related.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he'll pull through, keep us posted and let us know if you figure something out. I keep track of all things lion related.
@lion king - here is the update. Still not eating. Moving around the tank and hanging out. Pretty lethargic.
again - the night before I moved him he was totally normal. Eating, active, swimming around.
He wasn’t out of the water for more than 3 seconds. Got caught in the net just a little bit nothing concerning. I caught him pretty fast. He was upside down in the bucket for a little bit.

he righted himself that night in the tank.
Any suggestions? Poor dude. He was fine. Such a hearty fish - I can’t believe the move would have done this much to him.

Attachments

• IMG_2178.mov
    4.5 MB

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say the stress of the move brought out any underlying conditions, I meant health conditions that you may have not known about. Previous treatments(copper and/or antibiotics) or exposures of chemicals(cyanide, flat worm exit, chemiclean, etc.)that could weakened internal organs, then the stress of the move caused a hemorrhage. You might see something that looks like a bruise on his side, not always, but sometimes. Lions kept in systems from lfs or distributors that run copper usually have damaged internal organs that significantly lessen their lifespan, and a stress event will trigger and cause more damage. I've cut open many lions after copper and antibiotic exposure to find organs burst or even liquefied.

I'm sure the water in the bucket came right from the tank, right, so no difference in the sg or significant differences of ph or temp. If the sg was higher between your tank and his new tank it could cause osmodic shock, usually around .002 or higher, if his new tank was lower it wouldn't matter.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say the stress of the move brought out any underlying conditions, I meant health conditions that you may have not known about. Previous treatments(copper and/or antibiotics) or exposures of chemicals(cyanide, flat worm exit, chemiclean, etc.)that could weakened internal organs, then the stress of the move caused a hemorrhage. You might see something that looks like a bruise on his side, not always, but sometimes. Lions kept in systems from lfs or distributors that run copper usually have damaged internal organs that significantly lessen their lifespan, and a stress event will trigger and cause more damage. I've cut open many lions after copper and antibiotic exposure to find organs burst or even liquefied.

I'm sure the water in the bucket came right from the tank, right, so no difference in the sg or significant differences of ph or temp. If the sg was higher between your tank and his new tank it could cause osmodic shock, usually around .002 or higher, if his new tank was lower it wouldn't matter.
Yes tank water.
SG in his tank was lower than mine. Mine was a little high because my top off quit and I didn’t know it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope he will be fine.
If I was going to catch a fish that are very slow moving and with all those spikes, I would just scoop him up with a container rather than a net. I think that would be much less traumatic for him and much less chance of injury to all those spikes. Regardless, I think he will be fine in a few days.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad. I don’t know if he will make it.
This video is what happens when he tries to feed him or put things close to him. He kind of goes upside down, but then he writes himself just a couple seconds later. Just give him time? Or do you think we need to put him down? His breathing doesn’t look particularly labored. Or fast.
The picture is a few seconds after he stops trying to feed him.
@lion king

Attachments

• IMG_2181.mov
    3.4 MB
OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an attempt to feed.
he still has some umph in him but not interested in silversides - which are his favorite.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough call, honestly I've never seen a recovery from what I can see. It would depend on if I thought he was distress, then I would euthanize him. I'm not sure what else in the tank with him, but you could try something live to try and get a spark out of him. I'm talking live ghost shrimp or even a live molly. Although a lion can go quite a while without eating and that's not the biggest concern; since he was eating well before this episode. I feel even if he recovers, it will be short lived; there has been some sort of internal damage, for whatever reason. He would really have to be in distress before I pulled the plug, and then I would at least tempt him with something live as a last resort.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back