Lion fish upside down????

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I sold my lionfish tonight. I caught him really easily ... but when I put him in the bucket, he went upside down a bit. The guy texted me, and said that he has never turned right side up. I don’t know what in the world would have done this to him. Is he just mad? He looks like he filled up with air almost like a puffer fish and just can’t deflate. But I am worried about him staying up side down for the rest of the night. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.
I had a heater in the 5 gallon bucket to keep the water warm, so I know there was little to no temperature change.

Attachments

• IMG_2106.MOV
    18.9 MB

MrZoaCrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I sold my lionfish tonight. I caught him really easily ... but when I put him in the bucket, he went upside down a bit. The guy texted me, and said that he has never turned right side up. I don’t know what in the world would have done this to him. Is he just mad? He looks like he filled up with air almost like a puffer fish and just can’t deflate. But I am worried about him staying up side down for the rest of the night. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.
I had a heater in the 5 gallon bucket to keep the water warm, so I know there was little to no temperature change.
Could be swim bladder

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he swallowed air their might be a problem with his swim bladder than

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was in the bucket overnight maybe he caused ammonia in it to spike a bit also.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure unfortunately, medicine won't help, surgery probably will be too risky and won't really work

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so easy to catch a lion fish that I doubt that @Mini Coop caught him much earlier that she need.
I don't know what to do, just see how he is in a day or two.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Hopefully lion king will stop by. I will mention in my experience it may not be a concern and I would observe. They can control their swim bladder a bit different and have been know to swim upside down. May be result of the transfer. I would observe since not much else can be done and see if he stops by to help

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure unfortunately, medicine won't help, surgery probably will be too risky and won't really work
It is so easy to catch a lion fish that I doubt that @Mini Coop caught him much earlier that she need.
I don't know what to do, just see how he is in a day or two.
yeah - caught him about 5 minutes before we headed out the door. 20 minute drive

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish aren't known to have issues with swallowing air and not being able to dispel it, not like puffers or anglers. They will hang upside down and this is completely normal. Not much to be done other than just observe.

Just got the vid to load, that doesn't really look good. Tell me more about his history. How long have you had him, any previous treatment. I've only seen this when there's been an internal hemorrhage or in really old lions, but they usually right up pretty quickly. A hemorrhage could have occurred caused by stress of transport, but the primary cause could be unknown to you, previous damage to internal organs.

The normal hanging upside down would be at the top of the tank or under a ledge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish aren't known to have issues with swallowing air and not being able to dispel it, not like puffers or anglers. They will hang upside down and this is completely normal. Not much to be done other than just observe. If the transfer was as smooth as you described he should be cruising around soon.
Thank you everyone! We r keeping an eye!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! We r keeping an eye!

I edited my post after getting the vid to load, this is not the normal hanging upside down. If he doesn't almost immediately right himself up from this, the prognosis doesn;t look good.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back