Live Rock??

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am setting up a 120g and I need about 100-150 lbs of LR. The thing is I want to get some GOOD stuff. I mean I want it to be very porous and full of shapes. I am going to be building rock stands for the rock to keep it all open and get the aquascape just perfect. Basically I want show rock.

What type of rock do you recommend and how much is in generally speaking?

Thanks.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Marshall Island rock. Its expensive, but I think its about the best you can get. Its very porous, colorful, and has some awesome shapes. I found a guy breaking down when I first started and stumbled on a goldmine. I got it for 4.00/lb and that was a deal!

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of Marco rocks. I beleive it's just dried out fiji, but from the pics on the site it looks really good. IMO Price isn't too bad either.;)

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree ,,,Marshal Island if you want to go with expensive but really nice porous rock and shapes

Pukani Live rock if you want to go for less expensive then marshal island. It has very nice shape and colors to it , some less poruos then ML rock

If you want to pick out your own rock that not live , as suggested Marco rock. great shapes , great price , only thing you need to fully cure it

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang that Marco rock looks perfectly like what I want! Is it real rock from the ocean? Also does it have to cure? Anybody had experience with it?

It's pretty cheap too.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that Marco rock looks perfectly like what I want! Is it real rock from the ocean? Also does it have to cure? Anybody had experience with it?

It's pretty cheap too.

http://www.marcorocks.com/

I was actually looking at this rock this week. It looks like great base rock, but would require some time before it became "live" (with some real live rock in the tank to seed).

Rev, you should look into it. The benefit of this dry rock is that you can setup your rock structure in tank without water first, then fill with water once everything is setup.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco rocks will definitely save you money. It's also porous and shaped in ways that are good for aquascaping. After few months of coraline algae spread, you won't even notice the difference.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can look on my website, we have a few pieces of ultra-cured fiji/haitian from the break down of our 180. Just in case.... ;]

Craig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the Marco Rocks. It cures quite quickly and you cant beat the price or the selction.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the advice all.

How long does it take normally for this rock to cure?

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to a construction site nearby to collect some rock that is oolite. Basically down here in s. fl the ground is limestone that is old coral skeleton. they are doing a lot of construction near my house and the rocks they pull up from excavation look just like the live rock in lfs.

I am gonna bleach some of the stuff and dry it out to make base rock. I know of others in the area that have done this w/ successful results. I think that using the dry base rock is a great alternative if you seed it and cure it w/ a few pieces of healthy live rock.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I do mind mind buying actual LIVE rock, but this marco rock looks awesome! If I have to seed it but can get some great rock, that's fine with me. Plus I dont have to worry about critters I dont want in the tank.

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and it seems that they will make any shape that you want.

plus no ant stings like i got this morning, from stepping in a nest of fire ants lol.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev,

I would recommend the Indo live rock ... very porous and light!! Lots of crevices and nooks .... the inside(if you crack it) of these rocks are Blue in color....JMHO

Paul

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good site with nice looking LR on it--I think it's Marshall Islands? I will try and get the site addy tonight when I get home (if my internet is working again) and post for you. Looks like they have good rock.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Pucani (sp?). It's insanely porous and runs ~$8/lb. Because its so porous, it's weight is lighter than other LR of the same size. My fish love it, especially gobies and firefish.

Hopkins

Team Awesome
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 25lbs of marco rocks. If it were wet, I bet the shipping weight would have been 50lbs.

DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

Excuse the dog

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back